hookah bounce dives

goldmine1

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking for some constructive and objective input on the topic of bounce diving on hookah to 25' ish. Lets first get something out of the way, I'm BSAC certified since 1985 and have been using hookah in the UK for 17 years :-) so we don't need to go the 'safety' discussion route.

I suppose just to get some input from fellow hookah users, I'd like to know some thoughts on coming up and down from the 20' mark. Assuming a NDL of say 205 minutes (for example) does that include surfacing up and down, i.e, to hand up bags of scallops, crabs and lobsters and then dive back down again?

Would it be safe enough to say that the NDL time includes ascent and decents within that time frame window?

My rig is the keene T80, with Honda 3.5HP, sherwood reg and recently cobbed together a 12VDC unit too, I use a backpack with 1.5L back-up cylinder and reg.

It's quite refreshing to have positive discussion on hookah within the gold prospecting world, as opposed to the scuba forums where they are rather negative towards hookah, to say the least. Can't believe I joined here in 2003! Time flys.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
own hookah by Keene but never did the bounce technique
story I wrote - with mention of hookah hunting
SNORKEL - SNUBA - HOOKAH - SCUBA
Flickr: Casper-2's Photostream

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Problem with bounce diving in compressed air is you are dramatically increasing the chances of embolism if there is any phlegm or infection at all in your lungs, even old scar tissue. After all as you know the greatest pressure change percentage wise is in the shallow water. I would find a way to put the goodies in a basket and have them hauled to the surface with a line.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem with bounce diving in compressed air is you are dramatically increasing the chances of embolism if there is any phlegm or infection at all in your lungs, even old scar tissue. After all as you know the greatest pressure change percentage wise is in the shallow water. I would find a way to put the goodies in a basket and have them hauled to the surface with a line.

This is the safest way to insure safety. The basket on the bottom or a divers bag will save you time for better searching as you always have the basket near by. Your Hookah is one of the best that I've used. I used a 13 cu in pony bottle along with a spare air, two dive knives and a full BC for the pockets. Most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread