Floating sifter question.

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tryed a new beach this weekend, on the intra coastal, had pretty good luck. I dug and I-Phone, a bunch of clad, some sinkers and various fishing lures. There where tons of people around, so i exect if i pound it out I will eventualy find jewelry.

My new problem is tho, that this beach's sand is extreamly shallow, with thick layer of silty clay underneath. It dosnt filter out of the scoop at all!!! So my question is, should i just dig and dump in a floaty sifter?? and then clean everythign off after im done digging??

And would it make more sence to have the screen below the water level, with a tall lip that ticks up above? or have the screen up out of the water?

Thanks,
Sneads

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I know the Muck you speak of...Mine, I have at the bottom of the float so it is water level but when you dump the muck/clay mix it sinks in alittle. I can check the target with the detector since the sifter has not metal, If it's in the sifter i can move on to another then just by moving around it slowly filters thur. If it was below the water line to much it would be harder to locate the treasure by sight. I do know of one hunter that has like a trash can type with a float at the top, he dumps, checks to see if the target is in the sand/muck..if not he moves on..after about 2o or so targets he goes a shore, dumps all then to recover all. With my bread tray sifter type I can just dump the trash when she starts to build up....trash being shells, gravel, etc....

One thing, go large enought that it will handle the 2 or 3 scoops but light in weight if you have to carry far.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot depends on the floats of your sifter. It is best to have the screen underwater when the stuff is in it so the water can sift some of the sand or shells out. I stopped using a sifter years ago because I thought it slowed me down and attracted more attention from children. Plus I wanted to walk back on the wet sand and didn't want to carry the float. To each his own method to max search time.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
story i did on floating sifters - may help (half way down page)
Flickr: Casper-2's Photostream

Whydah just made a nice one - he needs to post pic

OP
OP
S

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Torreseo Sand Shark, Whites Beach Hunter ID, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going to draw a picture of what I am thinking of tonight when I get home from work. I was thinking that it should be pretty deep and have a lot of float to it. Thinking about speed my idea was just to scoop into it unroll I no longer got a signal and just keep moving. Only to clean out when it gets so full that it starts to sink. I am contemplating using the bottom 12 inches of a 55 gal plastic drum, and go ing crazy with a drill and a half inch drill bit. And attaching 2 pool noodles along the top edge.

OP
OP
S

SneadsFerryMD

Apr 10, 2012
Sneads Ferry NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SneadsFerryMD said:
I'm going to draw a picture of what I am thinking of tonight when I get home from work. I was thinking that it should be pretty deep and have a lot of float to it. Thinking about speed my idea was just to scoop into it unroll I no longer got a signal and just keep moving. Only to clean out when it gets so full that it starts to sink. I am contemplating using the bottom 12 inches of a 55 gal plastic drum, and go ing crazy with a drill and a half inch drill bit. And attaching 2 pool noodles along the top edge.

Correction until not unroll darn auto correct

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
NonMetallic Sifters