2nd generation excal

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I have two excals. The older machine is one of the original excals which is probably 15 plus years old. Works great. The newer excal, when adjusted so I hear a slight hum, works great as long as I keep it out of the water. Once in the water a few inches it starts to go wonky. The deeper I go the worse it gets. In 3 feet of water it is usless. I adjust it so I don't hear a hum and use it in this mode. However, I know I am missing some deeper signals with this setup. Does anyone have the same problem and if so is their a ready fix? I had the unit rebuilt by the company when they were in Las Vegas. It never did this problem before I had them work on it. I hate to tell you what It cost me...

Upvote 0
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I had a similar problem with my old original model and it turned out to be a bad spot in the coil cable.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to send it in for a fix. You may have a leak in either the coil or just trouble with saltwater near the cable. Just on a thought, have you cleaned out the coil cover of sand which when wet is more conductive.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you use any silicone grease on the battery connection? Are you adjusting the sensitivity once you enter the water till its stable? Check your cable real close for any bad spots. Recharge both batteries them check voltages and compare the two readings.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with John and Treasure hunter. You have a saltwater leakage some where which is causing the issue....I Have repaired and had myself,... coil cables, IP68 connectors, and coils, that have had small cracks where salt water would seep in, fine on dry..but once in the saltwater they would not settle down....hunting in fresh water they will be fine. On some of the newer xcal II's they had coils that would crack around the bottom, seperating from the main frame, leaking and falsing. The battery connection gasket leak was new to me until I seen Th post about it a few years ago, since I have seen a few that fixed this issue with a new gasket or some with plummers grease. If you have a older excalibur with 15 years of saltwater time I would almost bet she is showing a few weak points also.....

Saltwater is a hardcore corrosive and will destroy with time. The top Top Oring on a 10 year old excal... bad o ring.jpg

SANDMANS advice to get it repaired may save you more, things can get worse, Like Sw weeping into the pod itself..then only ML's can repair this, last I heard...about 9 bills for a new Board...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread