Two annoying things with beach detecting

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
1) People yelling "beep beep beep", as if that is going to throw you off.......I have seen this other places too, parks, but its amazing people will go out of their way to make themselves look like fools in such crowded places.

2) People that throw money on the ground in front of me. I get people toss a random coin in my path. I have not yet detected these and picked them, because I don't want the "Hey thats mine" to come after I pick it up. Not like I am a dog trying to get biscuits, the whole point is finding stuff not being handed it........not sure how others feel about this.

Honestly I don't mind being asked "Did you find anything", I like to talk to people and especially those that are friendly and genuinely interested. People will ask questions about what does it cost, etc, those I don't mind.

Upvote 0

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When people throw something in front of me I tell them don't be cheap, throw your gold ring and laugh. That usually defuses the scene. As for the beep , beep thing. I lost it one day and gave the guy the middle finger and told him " This Bud's for you" Normally I ignore it but seems I had a bad day that day.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly cant see you doing that Les. Me now....ya. Ive never had anyone go beep beep to me. Now the coin thing often. I pick them up and keep on moving. Be a cold day if they ask for it back. I have done the same thing Les and asked that they please throw down 20 dollar bills.... this thing picks them up to lol.

Dew

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I honestly cant see you doing that Les. Me now....ya. Ive never had anyone go beep beep to me. Now the coin thing often. I pick them up and keep on moving. Be a cold day if they ask for it back. I have done the same thing Les and asked that they please throw down 20 dollar bills.... this thing picks them up to lol.

Dew
Some young guys walking with their girlfriends started the beep beep thing then started laughing. When I did the finger thing they stopped laughing pretty quick. normally I ignore this. Now I wear the headphone from Gold Master and I don't hear the outside noise.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll tell you what annoys me.. Nimrods that have no common sense and metal detect crowded beaches. Can you even imagine sitting there with your wife and kids, and some nimrod with a metal detector waddles up right next to your blanket swinging away? I would probably say something like,"Hey you flipping so-n-so, there is about 30-miles of beach, think I can use this 20-feet?" Seriously people, if you don't have enough common sense to hit the beach early morning or early evening when the crowds are still at home then I think you reap what you sow..

1) People yelling "beep beep beep", as if that is going to throw you off.......I have seen this other places too, parks, but its amazing people will go out of their way to make themselves look like fools in such crowded places.

2) People that throw money on the ground in front of me. I get people toss a random coin in my path. I have not yet detected these and picked them, because I don't want the "Hey thats mine" to come after I pick it up. Not like I am a dog trying to get biscuits, the whole point is finding stuff not being handed it........not sure how others feel about this.

Honestly I don't mind being asked "Did you find anything", I like to talk to people and especially those that are friendly and genuinely interested. People will ask questions about what does it cost, etc, those I don't mind.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know Terry..... i believe i pay a lot more taxes and insurance down here in Fl than the visitors do.... i mean a lot more. I agree they need their space. Its comments like this that gets beaches closed to certain detecting times. I seen it in Ind state parks.... you can only hunt the months people arent there. I believe being respectful is one thing..... restrictions ... dont you think we have enough? There are always going to be those few that dont cover their holes, throw sand on the beach goers, or are just jerks.....but we arent the only ones who act like this. Ive feel in 3 ft holes, saw people fall over tourists chasing foot balls, and then cuss them out. I dont think the answer is .... hunt only in the morning or evening so you cant be seen. I would prefer to be visible.... ive even had tourist take pictures of me. When asked why... they say.... this is part of going to the beach seeing people detect. Id like to keep that impression.

Dew

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a HUGE difference between common sense and restrictions. It is still a free Country, and you can do whatever you enjoy doing. "Its comments like this that gets beaches closed to certain detecting times." Not in my opinion Dew. It is morons swinging their detectors on crowded sand during the busiest time of the day when kids and teenagers are trying to be kids and teenagers, and families are trying to relax that cause the problems. You can't grid an area full of tourists, you can only annoy them. Nobody is going to beat you to the booty. You get there AFTER they depositors have done their job, packed up and are leaving. You want to be visible, go for it..

I dont know Terry..... i believe i pay a lot more taxes and insurance down here in Fl than the visitors do.... i mean a lot more. I agree they need their space. Its comments like this that gets beaches closed to certain detecting times. I seen it in Ind state parks.... you can only hunt the months people arent there. I believe being respectful is one thing..... restrictions ... dont you think we have enough? There are always going to be those few that dont cover their holes, throw sand on the beach goers, or are just jerks.....but we arent the only ones who act like this. Ive feel in 3 ft holes, saw people fall over tourists chasing foot balls, and then cuss them out. I dont think the answer is .... hunt only in the morning or evening so you cant be seen. I would prefer to be visible.... ive even had tourist take pictures of me. When asked why... they say.... this is part of going to the beach seeing people detect. Id like to keep that impression.

Dew

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
I'll tell you what annoys me.. Nimrods that have no common sense and metal detect crowded beaches. Can you even imagine sitting there with your wife and kids, and some nimrod with a metal detector waddles up right next to your blanket swinging away? I would probably say something like,"Hey you flipping so-n-so, there is about 30-miles of beach, think I can use this 20-feet?" Seriously people, if you don't have enough common sense to hit the beach early morning or early evening when the crowds are still at home then I think you reap what you sow..

I agree 100% .. greedy folks trying to hunt around people heads thinking they`ll beat the hunters at night or early mornings. Few of them on here that post quite often with pictures or videos of themselves hunting crowded beaches. Wonder why they call us hunters "Bums" .. poke fun by calling us names and harrassing us somehow. I never hunt during the day when its crowded. Early morning or after the sun goes down and most people are gone.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go around thrown coins - most times i know theyre coming because i hear "watch this"
I am a sunrise sunset hunter - if I travel - I will hit during the high times but stay as far a way as possible
I have seen guys up here though that just crash thru people in the water and tell people to "watch out"
that I dont go for - ive seen guys whack people with their rod and people crash into their scoop
this kind of crap will get bans
these are same clowns I have seen throw junk back over their shoulder
laziness and greed - they cant take the time to put trash in their pouch and cant wait for
people to clear out to hit and its not a time thing - these guys are retired older guys
and most I have tried to talk to dont go on line unless its to lurk
and they will say right out - "i dont care about you or anyone but myself"
nothing you can do about it - could pay some kids to step on his lower shaft and end his day I guess

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like to hunt early morning or later after people thin out. Just don't like the audience and don't want to bother anyone. I will talk to anyone who is respectful and genuinely interested, usually tell them to check out treasurenet as a great resource.

Of course there are and will always be rude/inconsiderate people on both sides (detectorists/beach goers)

Pete

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
When I read the title of the post the first thing I thought of was:
1. Fat chicks in spandex
2. Any guy wearing a banana hammock

Kinda wanna puke.

Head down, coil to the sand, keep moving, don't look, shuffle along......

What's that little kid??? What am I looking for??? "Yesterday a kid got ate by a shark, we're still missing one arm with a watch, and two gold teeth."

"Ain't seen it have ya?"

Chicken4U2

Jul 27, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to get alot of that, but this year seems a bit different. Maybe the stupid TV show has made people more aware of what detecting is? This morning an elderly lady was asking me questions, and commenting on how nice it is that I'm helping keep the beach clean by picking up the trash too. On the flip side, I sure as heck can't find anything this year though!! Clad is even harder to find, whats up with that??

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: I wish you luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt beach when I want to. I was born and raised in Fl as was my parents, grandparents and great grandparents and I pay lots of taxes here, beaches are owned by the people of fl which is why there are very, very few private beaches here. I have as much right if not more to use our beaches anytime I want to and I do. I remove trash, beer cans and all other kinds of garbage left by tourists.

I don't try to grid when beach is crowded, but I will hunt any time I want no matter how crowded beach is.

Last edited:

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
I changed all of my headphone ear pads to these, now I don't hear anybody say any thing. Best money I ever spent, not background noise either. Gel Ear Seals

Johnnoh

Aug 30, 2008
RI
Detector(s) used
CTX, EQ-600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What do you say when a kid wants to try with your detector? I won't even let my own kids touch the M6.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do I say? I say "kid get back, nobody touches my detector but me!"

rons1947

Jul 12, 2007
Palm Bay,Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
These people are not trying to throw you off,they are showing you disrespect,and calling you a stupid because of your hobby.Sometimes,I think about cautioning them to keep their insults to themselves.Some day,they might mouth off to the wrong person and suffer for their actions.Their is never any reason for any one of these people to say anything disrespectful to us.They do so because of their own stupidity and ignorance.I try to ignore these people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread