PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had it about 2 weeks now with about 20 hours on/in Grand Traverse Bay. Have one silver ring, a junk kids ring a couple of charms one my be gold-haven't test it yet and some clad. I did also find an unused bullet amongst my more interesting trash.

Starting to get ok at guessing what I'm digging, but still learning. I was sure I had yet another pull-tab today and turned out to be a nickel. So I continue to dig most everything.

I have been running senstivity about 12 o clock most of the time.

Anyone have quick tips on what I should be listening for? I probably will understand it better now that I got some experience. I also have been finding most of my stuff near the waterline, but I will usually wander out waist deep also.

Thanks,

Pete

Upvote 0

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Had my Excal two for about three months now and when I bought it I ordered a cd that Kelleyco had called Ear training for the Minelab Excaliber. Just stuck it in my car cd player and listened to it on my way to work and on my way home. It was invaluable in cutting the learning curve on the Excal. Only cost about ten bucks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your hunting the beach, you want to dig everything, seen gold rings that sould like pulltabs and bottle caps.......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running it in Auto sens will help with the learning process and still be extremely deep. If it makes any sound, dig it.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Had my Excal two for about three months now and when I bought it I ordered a cd that Kelleyco had called Ear training for the Minelab Excaliber. Just stuck it in my car cd player and listened to it on my way to work and on my way home. It was invaluable in cutting the learning curve on the Excal. Only cost about ten bucks.

Hi S&R thanks for the tip - sounds like that would be helpful now that I am familiar with the sounds.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your hunting the beach, you want to dig everything, seen gold rings that sould like pulltabs and bottle caps.......

Thanks for the advice. If the sounds are pretty broken not repeatable/consistent I skip sometimes. Do you dig those as well?

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Running it in Auto sens will help with the learning process and still be extremely deep. If it makes any sound, dig it.

Hi Sandman,

I read somebody before saying to never use Auto sens, so I have used it sparingly, but am still experimenting. I just replied asking treasure hunter if should be digging up broken/inconsistent signals. Generally if I can't get it to repeat well I have been skipping it.

By the way where are you located at? My house is in South Lyon area, but I also spend most of summer in Traverse City.

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My rule of thumb is this... If I can get a 'lock' on a scratchy, iffy target, I dig it. I never use the pinpoint feature as I haven't noticed any benefit from it. I don't have the ML ear to distinguish the various sounds that well, but know a few. Any sound could be a gold ring, so I dig almost all the targets I can hear... minus the aluminum can sounds.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go over a target the tone indicates what it can be but also pay attention to the tone of the threshold, it really clues you into what item.( example mid tone & high threshold ending = possible pull tab. Mid tone & low threshold ending = nickel or gold. Set up a test area and check both the tones.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input Les and Bobbypins.

Any way you slice it, it is fun to go treasure hunting.

HH

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread