Questions

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
OK I'm relatively new to detecting and have done a little inland and a little on the dry sand at the beach. I have a few questions.

1.) Is the wet sand / surf less / as / more productive than the dry sand area of the beach?

2.) Good / bad of dual freq vs PI machines?

Also I am a certified scuba diver and may in the future want to use a detector to dive with.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches can be as different as people even during the seasons or time of day. http://web.archive.org/web/20080202045558/http://thegoldenolde.com/
As for the detector a muilty freq like the Excal or CZ-20/21 fits the bill and I have used them diving. The White's Beach Hunter is not an equal as they're coils float like a cork and get tiring to control in the surf or and have a dive limit. Some swear by the use of a PI but they have no disc to speak of so you could dig deep holes for for hairpins and waste time you could have used with another detectors.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman is spot on.... If you have a very clean beach a PI is good, if it is dirty with pieces of iron you will digging to china for hairpins, nails and tiny pieces of iron.... Some will tell you that you can tell when it is iron by a double blip, maybe after years of use, but I have never seen anyone using a PI at the beach that didnt show me a handfull of tiny pieces of iron when I asked how they were doing....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SENT YOU PM

OP
OP
D

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
Thanks for all the help thus far, i am kind of a whites fan, but may not be the best unit for my purposes. I had contemplated a beach hunter id. I understand they offer a different coil that doesn't float. As for beach hunting i will be mostly on myrtle beach and the grand strand, though i may also get some opportunities in NC and FL. Thus far i search the dry sand with a whites prism IV but always wonder what I'm missing in the wet sand.

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
If you are not going to venture in the water get yourself a Sov GT... you can use it in the dirt as well... I use the GT for wet sand and a DF in the water as there is less trash in the water.

Thanks for all the help thus far, i am kind of a whites fan, but may not be the best unit for my purposes. I had contemplated a beach hunter id. I understand they offer a different coil that doesn't float. As for beach hunting i will be mostly on myrtle beach and the grand strand, though i may also get some opportunities in NC and FL. Thus far i search the dry sand with a whites prism IV but always wonder what I'm missing in the wet sand.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a different opinion. I use my VLF machine in the dry sand and in the dirt. I use my PI machine in wet saltwater sand and in the water. I know several SCUBA certified divers, and the all use the Tesoro Sand Shark (as I do), for several reasons - Price, ease of use, sensitivity, depth, 200ft depth rating, all controls on the faceplate, Two modes, adjustable tone frequency, lifetime warranty. I dig a lot of bobbypins, and gold!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when the sand is whet is screws up the signals

OP
OP
D

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
cjon455 said:
when the sand is whet is screws up the signals

I'm aware that normal land machines go nuts trying to read wet sand. I was under the impression the dual freq and pi machines were both designed to work in wet sand/surf conditions. Was i wrong?

Craig-PI

Feb 19, 2011
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI Minelab Sovereign GT Teknetics T2
I'm aware that normal land machines go nuts trying to read wet sand. I was under the impression the dual freq and pi machines were both designed to work in wet sand/surf conditions. Was i wrong?

Dual or multi-frequency work well in the wet sand... so you were correct.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a different opinion. I use my VLF machine in the dry sand and in the dirt. I use my PI machine in wet saltwater sand and in the water. I know several SCUBA certified divers, and the all use the Tesoro Sand Shark (as I do), for several reasons - Price, ease of use, sensitivity, depth, 200ft depth rating, all controls on the faceplate, Two modes, adjustable tone frequency, lifetime warranty. I dig a lot of bobbypins, and gold!

The richest diver in the world, Mel Fisher, used a Garrett Sea Hunter :laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeadEye Ice said:

No you weren't wrong. Minelab's, CZ's and PI's work well in wet saltwater sand.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, i wish you happy hunting. Day after day so you learn with when you dig the target.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandmans' sure right about knowing the beaches. Tides change seasonally and so do people. I dont know where you are or if you are hunting salt water.... that can make a difference as well when you talk, tides, towel lines, and when people may be in the water. Most dual freqs have disc which allows you to avoid trash like bottle caps and hairpins, PIs dont. Its a matter of time management when you are out there..... how much you dig or the amount of beach you may get to cover. Someone said there is 400 to 1 target ratio in the dry sand..... 50 to one in the wet sand... and 25 to 1 in the water. That alone should tell you were best to use a PI.

Dew

OP
OP
D

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
Well Myrtle Beach will be my most frequented beach, My gf and I take a 3-4 day vacation there each year. It is salt water. I should have other uses throughout the year around the rivers ponds and lakes more locally which will be fresh water obviously. Might be fun to snorkel the shallows around the swim areas and see what pops up.

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I'm relatively new to detecting and have done a little inland and a little on the dry sand at the beach. I have a few questions.

1.) Is the wet sand / surf less / as / more productive than the dry sand area of the beach?

Yes but not as productive as the deeper water behind the breakers.

2.) Good / bad of dual freq vs PI machines?

Also I am a certified scuba diver and may in the future want to use a detector to dive with.

Learn to read the sediment on the ocean floor and it will lead you to the most productive areas where items of similar specific gravity gather.

OP
OP
D

DeadEye Ice

Jul 19, 2010
nickmarch said:

Is there a book or post that teaches what to look for or is this something that is only learned with time or from more experienced detectorists(spelling/word?)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeadEye Ice said:

No both Dual Frequency detectors like the Fisher CZ20/21, White's Beach Hunter id and all the pulse detectors work very will in the surf and Wet saltwater sand. Beaches very in the amount of salt concentrations and Black Sand concentrations too. Conditions can change for hunting within feet. If you GB on dry sand, only hunt dry sand. When you are in the wet sand, you GB again and stay in the wet sand. Some guys and gals that use the AT PRO at salt water beaches swear their detector works fine, but they are fooling themselves by having to turn down the Sensitivity. You don't need to do that with the Dual Freq. MD's.

image-376617777.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread