Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jesse09
  • 1 Post By CASPER-2

Thread: What i learned today an what the ocean taught me :/

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2012
    Cancun, Mexico
    White's PI Dual Field
    54 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

What i learned today an what the ocean taught me :/

If your wearing goggles do yourself a favor and bring the snorkel too. A scoop is always needed, don't leave it at home because you think fanning will prove to be a more effective technique (Fan and use your scoop with the goggles and snorkel is now most effective in my opinion, still have yet to try it).
    Stingrays are plentiful, be careful where you walk or you might walk right into a 3 foot one... Stingrays are even more plentiful, be careful where you walk or you might step on the kind with camo that sit their waiting... A 25 lbs backpack of rocks is NOT a substitute to a weight vest nor is it enough weight to keep you down properly to fan. If you don't know your machine stick with factory setting, they actually work an lastly a realllllly hot 21 year old girl (my age) is not checking you out but staring at your metal detector instead, that walk away double take was for my metal detector.

Found 2 hairpins 2 rusted metal pieces 1 pulltab and too many close calls with stingrays. Spent a little over an hour hunting, this is NOT an easy hobby an i can see how quickly someone would get discouraged.

Let me know if you guys have any advice or opinions to give !
    Thought_Process likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
    567 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Keep plugin away ,the gold will come.when I first got my PI pro whitch is same as your's I found only junk for the first two weeks to a month,then all of a sudden gold,so don't get discouraged.
    Happy hunting.

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Xcal, Minelab SE, DFX, MXT
    520 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    At my age you do the looking.... not getting looked. Takes a lot of digging but id think where you are at you will be in the money soon. You just got to remember to stop styling and get to digging lol.

Dew
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

us
    Jun 2012
    Cancun, Mexico
    White's PI Dual Field
    54 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dewcon4414 View Post
    At my age you do the looking.... not getting looked. Takes a lot of digging but id think where you are at you will be in the money soon. You just got to remember to stop styling and get to digging lol.

Dew
    Stop styling ? What do you mean by this? I think for me to move quickly digging targets i need goggles, a snorkel, a weighted 40 lbs vest or belt, and my scoop. I think this is how i can be the most effective hunter and not spend forever digging targets!

us
    Apr 2012
    East Coast
    Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF Whites Dual Field PI
    215 times
    The water I hunt in is too murky to see to fan targets so I exclusively use my stainless steel 12x8x6" scoop with heavy iron wood handle both in and out of the water. Iron wood does not float, so I have a foam cuff taped to the top to keep it upright if I drop it. I have seen videos of people fanning for a couple of minutes trying to recover a target. Learn to pin point and with this big heavy scoop your target is in the scoop 90% of the time on the first try. Go hunt where the people have been swimming and you will begin to find good stuff. Happy hunting.

us
    CASPER

Jan 2012
    NEW ENGLAND
    WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
    2778 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    dont try using snorkel with goggles - get a good mask
    I heard Cacun water can be rough in spots - dont try fanning - get yourself a large basket scoop with a long handle
    you'll get your targets faster - (I fan in dead reef / hard bottom areas that a scoop cant be used )
    only use a weight belt if you are a confident good swimmer
    wear thick rubber soul dive shoe/boot in stingray waters - you should shuffle your feet - it usually will scare them up -
    stingray usually feed at night and early morning - usually if you kick one up during the day - its cause he was sleeping
    kiana7 likes this.
    "Casper" - coincidence -check it out - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casper_(name) -
    Motto = "I try to hit where others cant or others wont "

us
    Jun 2009
    Bradenton, Fl
    Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
    1256 times
    Honorable Mentions (4)
    I have been detecting since 1973 and water hunting since 1989, I used to be a dedicated fishing but the day I started water hunting was the last day I fished. Iron, trash and junk, I dug LOTS but yet to be discouraged.I have found good items also. Excercise, peace of mind and enjoyment is my reward.

de
    Mar 2008
    Germany
    ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
    60 times
    Don't get discouraged in the beginning, we told you it takes a little while. Read what we answered to your first post before you bought your detector. When wearing a weight belt/vest make sure it has a quick release so you can drop it in case. People have drowned because of their weight belt. Being stung by a sting ray is an extremely painfull experience (believe me - I know first hand), so you want to avoid that. Good luck

us
    Jun 2012
    Cancun, Mexico
    White's PI Dual Field
    54 times
    Being in Mexico it's very hard to pick and chose which scoop i purchase. Shipping plus about 30% tax on whatever i buy because of customs, i had a homemade scoop but like i said it's too flimsy. I met a fellow metal detectorist who lives about 5 hours away, he sent me some pictures of a scoop he would sell to me for 80-85 USD. What do you guys think? It's not a diamond head but looks like it's really good quality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realscoop.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	477.5 KB 
ID:	655521Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realscoop2.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	452.5 KB 
ID:	655522Click image for larger version. 

Name:	realscoop3.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	443.8 KB 
ID:	655523

Would really like further opinion since it's pretty much only scoop i can get my hands on

us
    MANDAD76

Jun 2008
    BAYTOWN, TEXAS
    SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
    22 times
    Given your circumstances....I think that scoop is well worth the money...good luck....hope ya find the big one!!!!

us
    May 2009
    Florida
    Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
    293 times
    Grab that scoop. You can't beat the price. It looks like one that was being sold on ebay last year, but I haven't seen the guy who was making them selling any this season.

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8776 times
    Buy the scoop, its a good price and from pictures it is worth the money..... Give up the fanning for now and stick to the scoop.... Remember the more area you cover, the more targets you have, the more targets you have the more potential gold to find..... Fanning is great under certain conditions.....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors