OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest loss was an entire fishing collection, rods, reels, tackle boxes.....all of it in 50 feet of water. Was running way too fast and a rouge wave caught me off guard, stood the boat up on it's transom and nearly flipped it over backwards. Transom sank so deep when it came back down and landed my back hit water. Scared the crap out of me, cost me a small fortune.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess just a couple of cell phones. I stopped wearing them while fishing.......everytime I bent down to net a fish or release a fish, my phone would catch the side of the boat and push up and off my belt and into the water. I really dont wear jewelry.

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a Salmon rod and reel set up, I was trolling on the American river during Salmon season not paying attention to my rod and turned around to see it flip off my boat into the water ,(I did not spin the lock on the reel holder) I really cant say if it was a snag or.............. the one that got away

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I lost one cell phone while detecting at the edge of the surf at night with an incoming tide. The holster snap came open and the cell dropped out. Lost another cell phone in a hot tub. Just wasn't paying attention to what was in my pocket when I got in. Also lost a silver chain and silver cross. My wife said I shouldn't wear it into the water, and I said, "How can it come off, it is around my neck." A significantly larger wave than normal, caused by a passing ship, just lifted it off my neck and the next 6 waves pushed me away from where I was standing so there was no way to try to find it by feel. This was before I started metal detecting. Dumb, dumb, dumb. She didn't try to make me feel bad about not listening to her, I think she knew I felt bad enough already. She subsequently replaced it with a gold chain and cross, which I do NOT wear to the beach for obvious reasons....lol

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
A dive knife off San Salvador (Bahamas). I had just finished my safety stop and was ascending to the dive ladder when I glance down and see the glimmer of my blade descending to the reef below. Ticks me off still to this day.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
few yrs ago - got hit by a rogue waves bout 10 feet high = lost my expensive mask & snorkel and $150 scoop
there was a strong undertow - sucked it out deep
cz21 floats so recovered it

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I lost a water proof pinpointer my sister gave me as a Xmas gift .I guess it floated right out of its' holster . i also lost my new cell phone the 1st day of use. I put it inside my tackle box for safe keeping , and when i quickly opened the box to get some tackle the trays lifted up and somehow flipped the cell phone over the side . (The tackle box never should have been that close to the side.) I also have lost my share of caps that have flown off when the wind caught hold of it while fishing. Oh, I almost forgot the shoes that came off while fishing the mud flats . (almost like quicksand) That's about it. Not too bad I guess compared to what others lose everyday.

trhunter1

Oct 28, 2007
St Joseph County, MI
Detector(s) used
Eagle Spectrum II / ETrac / Excalibur II
I have lost two rings. The first was my wedding band, it came off while swimming in front of my parents place. I have looked countless times with no luck, it is very weedy and mucky. The second was a very nice ring that my wife found on a Lake Michigan beach, it was a thick gold band with a 1/3 carat diamond. It was lost in the same lake while helping my
brother-n-law, he was diving for old bottles in about 40' of water, I was on top in a boat pulling up a rope that was tied to a wire basket that he would fill up with the old bottles. Anyway while retrieving the basket my ring fell off. I sent him back down with my Whites surf master that I owned at that time but he was unable to find it.

I have found a lot of rings over the years but remember the ones I lost the most.

HH, TR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread