hi,folks.......Detecting steve here,talking about Lake michigan beaches.....;

detectingsteve

Greenie
Jun 24, 2012
Montague,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for the dry,fisher 1280X with an 8"coil for the WET.........
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8-)WELL:where to start??since this has been the hottest summer in Michigan for some time,everybody,and I MEAN EVERYBODY,AND THEIR AUNT,have been flooding all the beaches here,making it all the more possible,that sooner or later,somebody is going to lose something precious,in the sand,or the H2O!!!...THAT being said,when you get to the beach past the trees or whatever;there is AT LEAST,in any given area;a 100-200 yard walk to the surf line,in addition,to walking as far as you can see,in either direction-Not to mention,what was lost IN the water,anywhere from tootsie deep,all the way up to your nostrils,and beyond(I'm 6'3",use a mask,don't scuba)....The point of this is:It is kind of daunting,hunting these beaches,with SO MUCH open space,almost like looking for a needle in the you-know-what.I know,items dropped in the sand,remain where they are dropped,unless there are beach groomers out(haven't seen any),or items are dropped near the surf line,and moved around that way......In any event,I bet the odds are slim,of finding anything of value, given the vast open spaces,of these beaches...BUT:That's ok,too;if I find nothing:The water is OH,SO REFRESHING.....Another curoius thing:In the more than 2 weeks I have been here;NOT ONE OTHER DETECTORIST,HAVE I SEEN....??????

Upvote 0

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Hi Steve. Sounds like a great beach to hunt. I would be working everything from the edge of the water to as deep as I could go. Lots of goodies have to be lost out there. Then after everyone is off the beach in the late evening I would work the towel line. There have to be other detectorists working such a popular beach. Maybe only out there at night, if not then you should find quite a bit. Most important thing is to have a positive attitude and the good finds will come. HH...

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still waiting for the crowds to show up at the lake MI beaches I hunt, it's been pitiful compared to just a few years ago. Having to get a little creative in the hunting spots this season.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most beaches are like that......it seems kind of crazy to think you'll find something in that sea of sand. Do sections of it at a time, grid those areas and overlap your swings. Be patient and listen to the people on this forum that have been doing it for a while and you'll be surprised what you find. I havent done any fresh water beach hunting yet, only salt water. Put in the work and you'll find stuff.

I dry land hunted for a few years before I started beach hunting.....with the beach, you dont need somebody's permission to hunt and you know theres people dropping good stuff daily out there. Good luck..

Last edited:

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found mostly clad and a couple of rings so far this year in grand traverse bay. Alot has been near the water line and out deeper, but haven't determined any real patttern other than people are everywhere. Did have some clad luck around firepits and concession stands. Mainly just have had fun and continue to work on my techinque.

sonofdust

Jan 30, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Safari, Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found mostly clad and a couple of rings so far this year in grand traverse bay. Alot has been near the water line and out deeper, but haven't determined any real patttern other than people are everywhere. Did have some clad luck around firepits and concession stands. Mainly just have had fun and continue to work on my techinque.

PullTabPete:
You would happen to know if the beach at Frankfort is open to detecting or not?
Thanks & HH

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PullTabPete:
You would happen to know if the beach at Frankfort is open to detecting or not?
Thanks & HH

FYI, thread is almost 5 years old.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread