WHAT ARE YOUR PERCENTAGES?: GOLD/SILVER/JUNK

Tador

Aug 17, 2010
:icon_scratch: I'm wondering about percentages of gold rings, vs. silver and junk. I seem to find one gold ring for every six that are either silver, stainless, titanium, etc (junk). The silver and junk rings seem to be tied at about 50% silver and 50% junk. Do these numbers hold up for you? Are there areas of the country where the percentage of gold finds is higher, like more affluent areas? Maybe some of you discriminate out some of the junk rings and only look for that sweet sound of gold...

I also think it's curious how many fake diamond rings are out there. I've found six "diamond" rings...or I should say rings that look like diamond rings. It turns out only one of them was real. Does this mean that the majority of people out there are wearing fake rings or am I just exceptionally unlucky?

Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This year - I been lucky - 3 gold for every silver
last year was 3 silver for every gold
year before that was about 1 for 1
you never know -
I can say I have been finding lot less gold in fresh water spots than saltwater ones
less and less at fresh water spots

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id say this is going to be area and time of year specific. Most of the FAKES ive seen are on silver not gold rings. Even ARA dont bother with removing stones from silver they just melt it with the ring..... that tells ya something. BUT.... i check them all, you just never know.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_scratch: I'm wondering about percentages of gold rings, vs. silver and junk. I seem to find one gold ring for every six that are either silver, stainless, titanium, etc (junk). The silver and junk rings seem to be tied at about 50% silver and 50% junk. Do these numbers hold up for you? Are there areas of the country where the percentage of gold finds is higher, like more affluent areas? Maybe some of you discriminate out some of the junk rings and only look for that sweet sound of gold...

I also think it's curious how many fake diamond rings are out there. I've found six "diamond" rings...or I should say rings that look like diamond rings. It turns out only one of them was real. Does this mean that the majority of people out there are wearing fake rings or am I just exceptionally unlucky?

Thanks for sharing.

In my area it is the poor economy. More people wearing fakes than the real stuff. The real stuff has been sold at the "we buy gold" shops on every corner. If I travel out of the area my quality of finds are much better.

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ratio is for every 100 targets- 96 are pull tabs(junk), 2-3 are silver rings or jewelry, and 1-2 are gold rings or jewelry. But boy do we celebrate the gold and silver!!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8 gold...11 silver...9 junk...so far this year.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm running at about 1 gold per 1 silver, but in recent months I'm also hunting a little slower in very tight patterns, and cherry picking quite a bit.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 silver, 1 aluminum (?) ring....99.9% junk otherwise

dc426

Aug 7, 2011
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
sand shark, at pro, New CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here's my total to date:

29 junkers
32 silver
13 gold
1 plat

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DC.... you are cleaning up this year.... nice stats. You are going to be rolling in the SHOW ME THE MONEY by the end of the year.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Sand" is also a huge factor from one year to the next. Last year and earlier this year we had several nice cuts and troughs that were remaining open and beach-goers were assembling in these areas quite a bit. This summer has been way different, not cuts or troughs to speak of and a lot of continually mounting sand at the waterline and in between sandbars. Been very tough lately because the better stuff has been getting so deep so quickly. I have no doubt that it's there, but you just can't get at it under all the sand. Also been "a very noticeable increase" in hunting pressure this summer so there's also less to go around.

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure got that right bigscoop..... the sand out there just aint getting to the shells and the amount of hunters with upgraded equipment...... well its a challenge. Im even having trouble finding silver except for toe rings. As Max would say .... BLEAK.

Dew

Bobbypins

May 31, 2008
Okinawa, Japan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whatever gets the job done
Primary Interest:
I know that I'm not in the good ole USA, but my averages so far this year have been:

21 gold and Platinum (about 1 of those every 2.4 hunts)
12 Ounces of misc silver jewelry (too many rings to count)
8 stainless / tungsten rings
too many other crapper rings to count

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure got that right bigscoop..... the sand out there just aint getting to the shells and the amount of hunters with upgraded equipment...... well its a challenge. Im even having trouble finding silver except for toe rings. As Max would say .... BLEAK.

Dew

Lately....I feel fortunate when I find deep pull tabs! :laughing7:

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
I agree with lots of the posts. This year we have seen some different beach conditions. First off (NJ)we lost all that sand to a hurricane this is normally good but it was just too good. Then the summer beach came too fast! Reasonly we had a nice high slope that helded the targets, the it got knocked down and we had a huge cut for two days now we have a super sanded in condition.
I have 27 rings this year.
5 gold
10 silver
12 junkers

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bobby..... sounds like you need to retire, increase your hunts, then open a jewelry store.

Dew

stpauli914

Jun 7, 2011
Gulf Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My percentages are continuously updated in my signature below my posts. Sand has definitely been thick this year on the central gulf coast beaches and more is on the way via replenishment :( BLEAK is probably going to be the word for the summer other than the few fresh drops here and there....

Aaron

cz70pro

Mar 18, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year,I put in as much land search time as surf hunting.My total gold for the year was 7pcs.This year(too dam hot) I have only surf hunted,and so far 3pcs.My land hunt pulltab to gold ratio was one gold to 300 to 500 pulltabs(i counted) I have no idea on my surf hunting ratio,because sometimes I use a pulse(dig everything) and sometimes I cherry pick with my VLF.hope this helps.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In recent months here on the east coast I've been focusing on one thing, no matter how slight it may appear....."areas where sand has been removed." I figure if it gains me only an inch or two that's an inch or two deeper that I'm able to hunt. Even those very shallow tidal washouts have saved me this year because at mid & high tide people still enjoy playing in these slightly deeper washes without entering the surf. The sand can be very soft in these washes at times so I try to hunt them during the height of the activity so I stand a chance of getting to those heavier targets before they sink out of reach, which can take very little time once the water starts flushing sand through them again. It's not unusual to find recently dropped can tabs at 6 - 8 inches in these washes because the sand is so soft and deep so you have to get to targets very quickly. Other then that....."I hate dealing with all this sand!"

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
This year. 3 gold to 2 silver. Overall...Its usually like 8 to 1. Anyway...hh an gl. -Joe

Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread