Question for Treasure Hunter

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH, (or anyone else who has used both)
Just got my hands on another used Excal and trying to decide on a coil, so, since you already have a great deal of time using both, do you see any significant difference between the WOT and the SEF Butterfly? The WOT I have quite a bit of experience with but not the butterfly, just wanting to get some input before I make the purchase.
Thanks....Scoop

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest for me haven't seen a big difference either way. Some say the 12x15 butterfly is easier to swing , but I haven't see a difference. You do have 3 inches less of coverage to each side for total of 6 inches less coverage per swing, but performance wise I haven't seen a difference, they are both good coils, stable and deep....

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem..... If your ever on this side of state let me know, we can go hunting and you can try both out, one of my excals has a WOT on it, the other has the SEF 12x15" on it......

HARRASS

Aug 19, 2011
Alexandria
Detector(s) used
2 Excals, tiger shark, explorer, Quattro, ace 250 and an f2
I have 2 excals and a Quattro. I replaced my original coil on my Quattro with a butterfly coil. I worked the shallows with my excal and got a few hits. I went back the next day and worked the same shallow area with my Quattro and the new coil and I couldn't believe the difference. It was like I had not been there the day before. The Quattro was a so-so machine and now it is my main machine for the sand and the shallows. If it didn't cost an arm and a leg I would have a butterfly on one of the excals.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 2 excals and a Quattro. I replaced my original coil on my Quattro with a butterfly coil. I worked the shallows with my excal and got a few hits. I went back the next day and worked the same shallow area with my Quattro and the new coil and I couldn't believe the difference. It was like I had not been there the day before. The Quattro was a so-so machine and now it is my main machine for the sand and the shallows. If it didn't cost an arm and a leg I would have a butterfly on one of the excals.

Stock coils on both Excals I presume?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, I have a hunting partner that can hard wire a wot or butterfly coil onto your excal... He hard wires them into the controls, does great work and they are ever better waterproofed then they were as stock if you interested...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Might be interested. Right now I'm waiting on some additional feedback from a guy that's pretty sharp when it comes to maximizing machine performance. Going to wait to see what he has to say before I settle on a coil.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Might be interested. Right now I'm waiting on some additional feedback from a guy that's pretty sharp when it comes to maximizing machine performance. Going to wait to see what he has to say before I settle on a coil.

Thats cool, large coil isnt for everyone, some say it has too much drag in the water but for me that hasn't been an issue.....Of course Im only 64 so still young enough..........:laughing7: Before you buy you need to try it out. If you can't come my way maybe I can arrange a trip to your side of the state and bring both of mine with me, then you could try it with the wot for couple hours then the butterfly 12x15 and see which feels better...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the WOT, don't really have any problems with using it. But I may get really "radical" with this 800 just to see how far the possibilities can be stretched. :laughing7: That's why I'm waiting for the additional input and thoughts before I start modifying things. Think of it as an experiment to the outer limits. :laughing7:

May end up with a machine that can't find a gold brick at 6 inches before it's over with, but,....I just gotta know! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread