Tides in Lake Michigan?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure of spelling, a seiche is possible on occasion. Imagine wind causing water to "slosh" to one side. Or end. Not a tide in ocean sense.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really what you would call tides, but you can develop currents and surf/wave action at times. I use to hunt the GL's a lot when I lived up north. Loved it when it was flat but hated it when it was rolling & rough. Wind is your biggest enemy, try to hunt them when the wind is in your favor and not blowing into shore.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are buoys that register the "tides" in lake michigan, if I remember correctly there is like an inch or inch-and-a-half of tidal change.

OP
OP
mrmackin

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in the fall and winter when storms come through it's best to hunt after things have settled down.

rc2125

Feb 15, 2010
Indiana/Michigan border
Detector(s) used
~ XP Deus II & Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So in the fall and winter when storms come through it's best to hunt after things have settled down.

Sure, big winds quickly rearrange sand and sandbars, also alter the waterline. Lake Michigan is a unique critter, especially the east side.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure, big winds quickly rearrange sand and sandbars, also alter the waterline. Lake Michigan is a unique critter, especially the east side.

I second that! Also the north & north east shore. The east shore can also be rocky in areas, mainly the upper 2/3 rds, which is both a plus an minus. Targets can be really hard to find and ferret out but this also prevents a lot of guys from being motivated to hunt these areas. A small coil can make the hunting easier in these areas, so if you have this option take it. This is also where Casper's mask and snorkel can really pay off when the water is clear enough. :icon_thumright:

PS: Also a few really productive county beaches sitting between the bigger, more popular beaches. These will usually be the rockier public beaches I was speaking of.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Unsolicited advice, if you ever feel like a giant vacuum is pulling your footing toward the offshore,go no deeper. If pulled off your feet and lakebound ride topside best you can for a ways,swim parallel to shore a ways to get out of "current". Don,t just go by my version. Learn how to deal with an "undertow"/"riptide" before your in one. Conditions change fast sometimes. Do not want to discourage anyone. Have felt like i was on an fast eroding treadmill before. H.H.

OP
OP
mrmackin

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unsolicited advice, if you ever feel like a giant vacuum is pulling your footing toward the offshore,go no deeper. If pulled off your feet and lakebound ride topside best you can for a ways,swim parallel to shore a ways to get out of "current". Don,t just go by my version. Learn how to deal with an "undertow"/"riptide" before your in one. Conditions change fast sometimes. Do not want to discourage anyone. Have felt like i was on an fast eroding treadmill before. H.H.

Ok, thats some info I didn't have before!:icon_scratch: I have been up to my neck in smaller lakes, detecting in swim trunks, and got dunked by some boat wakes that I was oblivious to because of "mission lock", drank about quart of lake and that was no fun. I've been up to my mid chest with chest waders that come up to my armpits but not in a big lake, so thanks for the warning and escape logic.

And I appreciate any advice of any kind.:notworthy:

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, thats some info I didn't have before!:icon_scratch: I have been up to my neck in smaller lakes, detecting in swim trunks, and got dunked by some boat wakes that I was oblivious to because of "mission lock", drank about quart of lake and that was no fun. I've been up to my mid chest with chest waders that come up to my armpits but not in a big lake, so thanks for the warning and escape logic.

And I appreciate any advice of any kind.:notworthy:

Watch those chest waders! Especially the loose fitting type. If they get filled with water you could quickly find yourself in real trouble!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that lake isn't like a small lake. You gotta respect it, or else. I wouldn't go in a wind. If it's quiet, it's a lot safer. You're not as buoyant as in salt water.

There are no tides in the GLs, but are seiches. They're rare.

If you go deep, wear a flotation vest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread