Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While vacationing on Oahu,I found this very encrusted coin about in 2 feet of water,so I needed to learn on how to clean it & Lorraine told me about electrolysis.I did follow the instructions on cleaning the coin it took all that black junk off:hello2: Sorry Lorraine forgot to take pictures??? It did clean up great,the front of coin looks like a body image,and the back of coin looks like an eagle image.
Can't make out the date on this coin,but if you drop or flip it sure sounds silver to me:hello2:,,HH

Attachments

• photo-37.JPG
    photo-37.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2759.jpg
    IMG_2759.jpg
    736.9 KB · Views: 279
  • photo-68.JPG
    photo-68.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 0

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job Kiana, in that shape it is only worth silver content around $12, but I would be happy with that. WTG just stay away from those rattlers!

HH,

Pete

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job Kiana, in that shape it is only worth silver content around $12, but I would be happy with that. WTG just stay away from those rattlers!

HH,

Pete
Thanks Pete, is it because it was so encrusted with saltwater?? I'm happy anyway found my first coin:hello2: Yep keeping away from those dark holes,went back there to do more hunting,seen that hole again,from far away you can still see that shiny item,,I just pass on by:icon_farao:,,HH

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Def looks like a Walking Liberty to me so it's between 1916 & 1947 but in that condition the date is almost meaningless. Cool find $12(ish) is always nice to find especially in the form of silver.:thumbsup:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yup, that's a Walking Liberty...very nice silver find!!

Great cleaning job!

Lorraine

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kiana7 when you use electrolysis you have to be careful of what size battery charger you use,Its all about the voltage that you use no more than 2 volts I know use a cell phone
charger. I used to use a DFX battery charger and was cooking my coins, yours looks cooked, The DFX charger was putting out 6 volts, way to much, I recked alot of coins before
learning about low voltage electrolysis. pm me if you want to know more about it.leprechaun.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kiana7 when you use electrolysis you have to be careful of what size battery charger you use,Its all about the voltage that you use no more than 2 volts I know use a cell phone
charger. I used to use a DFX battery charger and was cooking my coins, yours looks cooked, The DFX charger was putting out 6 volts, way to much, I recked alot of coins before
learning about low voltage electrolysis. pm me if you want to know more about it.leprechaun.:icon_thumleft:
AWE, Leprechaum,now that you mentioned this I did cook it for awhile, with a battery charger,awe I fried it what if it was a CC coin,,oh well lesson learn, thanks for the input:hello:,,HH

Surfview

Jul 1, 2012
Marineland
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Cleaned it up good...nice find. $12 bucks. I'll take that any day.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice walker!

HH,
Anita

beachluck

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
riverside county
Detector(s) used
wow, from white's first S-63 up to current. garretts seahunter mark2, & infinium, tesoro cibola,lobo, whites prizn 6t and others..
Primary Interest:
one thing is for sure it had to be down deep and might have been there prior to ww2 well maybe . right ???

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one thing is for sure it had to be down deep and might have been there prior to ww2 well maybe . right ???
Who know's,the mystery is the date on this Liberty,but it sure was really encrusted:hello:,,HH

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I'm not yelling, but if you can afford to vacation on Oahu, why do you need to even reach down and pick up a coin? It probably does date from WWII, is a nice find, but seriously. Put on the thong bikini, order a nice alcoholic drink and then ask yourself as you sit on the beach, why am I going back to Riverside when we both know that you'd rather be in Hawaii. Of course, if you stay there, then where in the world would you vacation? San Pedro? Bakersfield? Pacoima? I used to go to L.A. to visit my sister. They would take me to Catalina Island and I would just pretend it was Hawaii. And you picked that coin up why? It could have germs. Yeah, I know. I have issues.

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I'm not yelling, but if you can afford to vacation on Oahu, why do you need to even reach down and pick up a coin? It probably does date from WWII, is a nice find, but seriously. Put on the thong bikini, order a nice alcoholic drink and then ask yourself as you sit on the beach, why am I going back to Riverside when we both know that you'd rather be in Hawaii. Of course, if you stay there, then where in the world would you vacation? San Pedro? Bakersfield? Pacoima? I used to go to L.A. to visit my sister. They would take me to Catalina Island and I would just pretend it was Hawaii. And you picked that coin up why? It could have germs. Yeah, I know. I have issues.
I try to visit my family about 2-3 times a year,being that said I did that done that & still doing that in my bikini having me a Maitai or a Longboard Beer:hello2:..Yes no doubt I would love to be back home in the islands, but my husband has to keep his company in operation:icon_thumright: For that coin I found it in Ocean salt water,very sanitized you think:laughing9:I don't know about you but for me I need some germs,it keeps me balance:tongue3: IMG_2223.jpg ,,HH

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Nice find and silver too...Too bad it was so encrusted. The Walking Liberty is one of my favorites.

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find and silver too...Too bad it was so encrusted. The Walking Liberty is one of my favorites.
My first Find,too bad is right will never know the date on it,remains a mystery,but next time I go back Hawaii I will beach hunt that area again:hello:,,HH

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that is a gorgeous bikini, and your body isn't half bad either. :) My wife loves going to Hawaii. Unfortunately, we live in Florida so it is a long flight. As to the question about why bother if you can afford a trip to Hawaii? I hope you were just kidding. You can make more money at a minimum wage job per hour then you can metal detecting. It is actually the opposite. Metal detecting is a luxery. You have to have money and time to be able to afford to do it.

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that is a gorgeous bikini, and your body isn't half bad either. :) My wife loves going to Hawaii. Unfortunately, we live in Florida so it is a long flight. As to the question about why bother if you can afford a trip to Hawaii? I hope you were just kidding. You can make more money at a minimum wage job per hour then you can metal detecting. It is actually the opposite. Metal detecting is a luxery. You have to have money and time to be able to afford to do it.
Just like any hobby,it can be costly but if you enjoy it that's all that matter's & you do it within your means,others will be a speed boat & they crash others will be a tug boat just pulling along but get the job done..For me I prefer,to be a tug boat:laughing9:,,HH:hello:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWE, Leprechaum,now that you mentioned this I did cook it for awhile, with a battery charger,awe I fried it what if it was a CC coin,,oh well lesson learn, thanks for the input:hello:,,HH
Don't worry it was not a carson city minted coin. Activities at the carson city mint ended in 1893. It could be a 1921 or a 1921D walker. Both are key date coins.

OP
OP
kiana7

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't worry it was not a carson city minted coin. Activities at the carson city mint ended in 1893. It could be a 1921 or a 1921D walker. Both are key date coins.
Thanks tarpon192,I don't know much about coins but learning a lot from my TN-family:hello:,,HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread