Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Found my 1st Tungsten Carbide ring today; I can understand why people opt for these

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2010
    Minelab GT; Sov Elite
    2610 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Found my 1st Tungsten Carbide ring today; I can understand why people opt for these

rings.

They sure are classy looking...all shiney, no scratches, heavy, durable ...inexpensive.

Having said the above, I wish people would keep them off the beaches ..they are heartbreakers when found.

Returned to yesterday's beach to see what the Tornado winds blew in with the waves....got a nice loud sound and picked out the GND Tungsten Carbide ring...looks brand new.

Weight= 13.13 grams

size =8 1/2

I knew right away that this ring was not white gold, or sterling silver...it was way too smoooooooooooooooth...thought it might be SS until I checked inside the band.

Here's a couple of pics...and some info about GND ( I believe the initials stand for "ground", but not sure)...info taken from Web site.

Maybe tomorrow

Lorraine

Imagine wearing a ring that is permanently polished and...
    ALWAYS looks brand spanking new!

Discover the amazing look and durability of tungsten rings and tungsten wedding bands. In an extraordinary process, Tungsten and Carbide powders are forged together at over 2,800 degrees Fahrenheit to form rings that are virtually indestructible and scratch proof. Then they are polished with a diamond compound, resulting in a polish and shine that will last forever. Tungsten rings offer the perfect combination of unbelievable strength with style and comfort. Explore our Education and Guidance Section.

Why Tungsten Carbide?

Tungsten is the only rare and exotic metal that can be permanently polished. The polish and finish can last as long as your commitment to each other - forever!

If you see scratches on your tungsten ring, we will replace or repolish it immediately, free of charge. If your finger size ever changes and you need a new ring size, we will replace it under our sizing for life policy. ($59 charge plus $20 shipping/handling required with a copy of your invoice.)

With gold, platinum and even titanium rings, you will notice varying degrees of scratching, denting and surface mars. However, with tungsten rings, the surface will maintain it's original beautiful shiny finish.

Many people also enjoy the heavy weight of a tungsten ring. The enduring polish of a tungsten ring together with the solid weight, speak of commitment, security and an everlasting bond.

Shop for Tungsten Rings

Hard Facts About Tungsten Carbide Rings:

Tungsten rings are the most wear resistant rings available on the planet.
    Tungsten is about 10 times harder than 18K Gold, 5 times harder than tool steel, and 4 times harder than titanium.
    Tungsten measures between 8 and 9 on the Mohs hardness scale. (Diamonds are a 10 - the highest.)
    Due to their extreme hardness, Tungsten Rings will hold their shape and shine longer than any ring on the market.
    Tungsten rings have been referred to as the "Permanently Polished Rings".
    Tungsten rings will NOT bend.
    In the event of an emergency, a ring can be removed by a medical professional.
    Each tungsten ring is individually hand crafted using assorted diamond abrasives and poly crystalline diamond tooling.
    Our tungsten rings are cobalt free.

The Manufacturing Process

Tungsten with carbon and other elements are ground into a powder and then compressed with high pressure dies to form a ring blank.

The blank is then fired in an oxygen free furnace at an astounding 6,200 degrees Fahrenheit. This process called sintering creates the hardest metal used for making jewelry.

The ring is then cut and shaped using diamond tools with approximately 30 steps required for completion. The cutting and shaping of a tungsten ring is similar in many ways to the cutting and polishing of a rough diamond.

Tungsten rings inlaid with gold, silver, platinum or mokume gane are created by grinding a channel in the center of the ring and precisely "swedging" the metal into the channel under extreme pressure.

The ring is then skillfully polished with diamond polishing tools and wheels creating a permanent luster and polish not possible with other metals.

A Tungsten Carbide ring will remain polished forever, and is scratch resistant. It is a unique metal that epitomizes today's man more than any other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1883.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	673323

Name:	DSCF1885.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	673324

Name:	DSCF1876.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	673325

Quod facis bene fac

us
    Feb 2008
    SE Missouri
    garage sale oldie
    846 times
    TH'ing, fishing, reading, cooking
    nice ring! I think the cats might be plotting your demise if you don't find them some good kitty jewelry. I love cats!
    dancing in the fire!

us
    Oct 2009
    1912 times
    People buy that crap because they value thier marriage as much as they do the symbol of that marriage, cheap and disposible.

I hate those stupid rings.

us
    Shawn

Apr 2012
    Saint Marys Georgia
    Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
    387 times
    It sure does look smoooooth.
    2013 Totals

us
    Dec 2009
    New Jersey
    CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
    214 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Lorraine did you note how nice it sounded before you dug it! What a heart stopper when you zero in (PP) and then the let down. But its always nice to see a ring rather than another nickle.Thanks for the info on the ring.
    BCNJ
    Chug And Red and Sandman like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1993 times
    Tungsen rings are still nice to find but I would rather find gold of any size. I once had a friend that always had a lot higher ring count than I and once I got to see them I saw why. He even counted trash rings.
    lorraine likes this.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Feb 2007
    Bradenton, Fl
    ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac
    560 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    it is a nice one Lorraine. Sad thing is there is so little value when you try to sell them!
    Debby

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    Xcal, Minelab SE, DFX, MXT
    524 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Its unbelievable to me that this is your first one as much good stuff as you find out there. SS, TI, and Colbert..... the only thing worth less are those that say MADE IN CHINA.

Dew
    Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.... John Wooden.

us
    Mar 2012
    N. Middle Tennessee
    Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
    220 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    They do come out of the water all nice and sparkly. Wish it had been gold for you, but it is a pretty ring. HH

au
    Jul 2011
    North Coast NSW.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Stavr Krepish II Scoop, Plugger Balanced Shaft.
    260 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    a nice one to give away - I've found that the teens in my surrounding family / friends love these big chunky blingers - just for fashion etc and giving away rings is cool! Sign of the times when used a a wedder I guess. Cats are always enetertaining even when at rest.
    Chug And Red likes this.
    "Treasure, baby, Treasure!"

us
    Apr 2012
    Riverside,California
    MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
    640 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    WTG,on your first Tungstenthat's one scratch off your list not that it was on there,nice looking ring,,HH

us
    Anita

Apr 2012
    New Hampshire & Maine
    V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster
    333 times
    Nice looking ring. We are seeing more and more of these up here in New Hampshire. Don't know about you, I like anything I find - except the pull tabs, bottle caps & assorted bobbie pins. It's interesting what folks wear to the beach.

HH,
    Anita
    lorraine likes this.
    "You'll never find your gold on a sandy beach". - Jim Steinman (musician)
    You can bet he never used a metal detector!!!

us
    Dec 2010
    Minelab GT; Sov Elite
    2610 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AC1955 View Post
    Nice looking ring. We are seeing more and more of these up here in New Hampshire. Don't know about you, I like anything I find - except the pull tabs, bottle caps & assorted bobbie pins. It's interesting what folks wear to the beach.

HH,
    Anita
    I also like to bring anything in the relic or jewelry department home from the beach....it's the fun of finding anything that is trying to hide from me even if it is not a precious metal.

My mantra is "Any port in a storm"

L
    Quod facis bene fac

us
    Jan 2008
    Connecticut shore
    Minelab Sovereign GT, Whites Surf PI Pro
    15 times
    I agree Loraine. It's not gold but it is interesting. Being a retired Tool & Diemaker, and having worked with a lot of carbide, one very important issue should be noted about carbide rings. If you get one stuck on a finger you'd better have access to high speed diamond grinding tools, because you won't cut it off any other way. Personally I would not try one on unless it went on easily. As I said it is a very interesting find, and it's really great how you research your finds and present them to the forum. I always look forward to your finds and stories. Thanks for brightening our day.
    Ed
    lorraine likes this.
    Minelab Sovereign GT with SEF 10x12 coil , Whites Surf PI Pro

us
    Retired

Apr 2007
    Naples,fl
    Sea Hunter MK2 and AT PRO
    395 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    Nice ring ,now you know why everyone hates these rings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors