I need your expertise on IDing this ?coin ? pendant ( ? silver metallic content)

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I need your expertise on ID'ing this ?coin ? pendant ( ? silver metallic content)

:hello: Hi again,

Still moving east ( a small section at a time) on my adventure in that junk- laden area of the beach where I' ve been finding oldies.

Today I had 2 hours to spare so I split it up between wet and dry sand.

I found this strange looking item in the dry sand...not sure if it is an old coin made into a pendant, or a old "nothing" ???...it might be silver, but I hesitate to clean it if it is some kind of valuable old coin.

I would greatly appreciate any input into this mysterious find.

Here's a couple of pics..

thanks for looking

Lorraine

DSCF1923.JPG

DSCF1924.JPG

DSCF1926.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clean it up real well, put a silver chain through it and hang it around your neck cause now you're a real treasure hunter, OOPS, I mean treasure finder. Great find and perfect size for a lady.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
The size and weight look about right for a half reale and the hole looks about right too. I don't think it was put there for a pendant but for sewing to the inside of somebody's coat. I would say it's authentic and a great find.

Thanks, thinkin2...I did read somewhere that because there were no pockets in clothing at that time, the coins were sewn into the clothing or placed around the neck.

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Clean it up real well, put a silver chain through it and hang it around your neck cause now you're a real treasure hunter, OOPS, I mean treasure finder. Great find and perfect size for a lady.

thanks, chisos

I 'm not sure whether or not I will clean it...I don't want to ruin the value ( even if not so valuable) ...but I may wear it as is around my neck...good conversation piece.

Lorraine

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lorraine thats at least 100 years older than the two real that I posted and yours is a cob, hope to be as lucky as you someday,Great find, You desirve it , sorry about the bad spelling,was never good at it.
Happy hunting, get back out there , your on a roll.:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Lorraine thats at least 100 years older than the two real that I posted and yours is a cob, hope to be as lucky as you someday,Great find, You desirve it , sorry about the bad spelling,was never good at it.
Happy hunting, get back out there , your on a roll.:icon_thumleft:

I almost threw that piece of metal in my "junk" pocket until I saw the tiny hole and the cross...good thing I checked it out.

p.s. your spelling is fine:occasion14:

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
A 1R would not exceed 3.43 grams; a 1/2 R would not exceed1.716 grams and a 1/4 R would not exceed 0.858 grams; ergo, my guess is yours is a ('light') 1/2R.

Don.......

I'm gettin' to like this coin! :happysmiley:

Lorraine

Apr 22, 2011
Long Island, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Excal II
Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find.
Very hard to I. D. Spanish cobs, there are so many variations depending on the mint.
Denomination is easy by weight.
I'd clean it up and wear it.
Nice!

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, chisos

I 'm not sure whether or not I will clean it...I don't want to ruin the value ( even if not so valuable) ...but I may wear it as is around my neck...good conversation piece.

Lorraine

You won't ruin the value. It isn't colonial furniture. Go on line and see what one sells for.( and I'm not talking ebay). More than you think.You'll notice they all have been cleaned and if I can see the detail in yours now, wait till it shines.

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool. If I get a bit of mystery metal I just run my land detector over it for audio and digital ID. It's always spot on for silver.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a keeper in my book.
I would chain it up and start wearing it.
An earring would look good also.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L,
That's soooo cool!
Congratulations on a killer find! To me 2nd to a gold coin!!
Here is my 1/2 reals, I cleaned mine up! She was caked with black crust! Found while hunting with my mentor leprechaun!He has found almost everything but a cob so I rub it in when appropriate!!!:tongue3: I would never sell it!!!! Means way to much!!
You did Wicked Frickin Great!!:notworthy:

SnT

Attachments

• image-316866273.jpg
    image-316866273.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 99
  • image-3740815073.jpg
    image-3740815073.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice old coin, congratulation!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread