I need your expertise on IDing this ?coin ? pendant ( ? silver metallic content)

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I need your expertise on ID'ing this ?coin ? pendant ( ? silver metallic content)

:hello: Hi again,

Still moving east ( a small section at a time) on my adventure in that junk- laden area of the beach where I' ve been finding oldies.

Today I had 2 hours to spare so I split it up between wet and dry sand.

I found this strange looking item in the dry sand...not sure if it is an old coin made into a pendant, or a old "nothing" ???...it might be silver, but I hesitate to clean it if it is some kind of valuable old coin.

I would greatly appreciate any input into this mysterious find.

Here's a couple of pics..

thanks for looking

Lorraine

DSCF1923.JPG

DSCF1924.JPG

DSCF1926.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a spanish silver reale coin that someone wore around their neck. Real? Fake? Of course, I know nothing about coins so it may not be that. Sorry.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Freaking cool find no matter what! :notworthy:

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Well Lorraine, I have no idea what it is for sure but I sure am excited for you to find out what it really is! Fingers crossed here for you!

Cliff

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think its a REAL - reale or 1/2 real Spainish cob
try here for ID
Spanish Cobs

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, it's a Spanish 'cob' coin.
Based on your image, to guess at the coin's denomination (one 'real') would be to start with about 27.5 grams for a 'Piece of Eight' (8-reales). These coins were issued in 1/4, 1/2 1,2, 3 (extremely rare), 4 and 8 reales and weighed in proportionate amount. Coins of this 'vintage' were composed of just over 93% silver. Better eyes than mine or a careful further cleaning may reveal more detail to enhance the identity.
Don........

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
I think its a REAL - reale or 1/2 real Spainish cob
try here for ID
Spanish Cobs

Looks REAL to me. No "copy" stamped on it, so it seems you likely have the REALe thing there, made into a pendant. Congratulations, but as others have said the shipwreck folks you tell you more about the coin. Papa

Dixiegal

Jul 8, 2012
GA
Detector(s) used
White 808, White Sierra Made, pulse induction, LRL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like a piece of eight. Its probably been ruined by drilling a hole in it although still a nice piece of jewelry.

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Looks like a spanish silver reale coin that someone wore around their neck. Real? Fake? Of course, I know nothing about coins so it may not be that. Sorry.

thank you, Chisos

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Well Lorraine, I have no idea what it is for sure but I sure am excited for you to find out what it really is! Fingers crossed here for you!

Cliff

thanks, cdv1

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Yes, it's a Spanish 'cob' coin.
Based on your image, to guess at the coin's denomination (one 'real') would be to start with about 27.5 grams for a 'Piece of Eight' (8-reales). These coins were issued in 1/4, 1/2 1,2, 3 (extremely rare), 4 and 8 reales and weighed in proportionate amount. Coins of this 'vintage' were composed of just over 93% silver. Better eyes than mine or a careful further cleaning may reveal more detail to enhance the identity.

Don........

thank you , Mackaydon!

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Looks REAL to me. No "copy" stamped on it, so it seems you likely have the REALe thing there, made into a pendant. Congratulations, but as others have said the shipwreck folks you tell you more about the coin. Papa

thank you, Beach Papa

Lorraine

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Looks like a piece of eight. Its probably been ruined by drilling a hole in it although still a nice piece of jewelry.

thank you, Dixiegal

Lorraine

thinkin2

Mar 30, 2007
James Island, South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21
Lorraine, the hole may indicate it was made into a pendant but I have dug numerous 1/2 reales that had holes in them. I was told that they used to sew them to the inside of their coats. But the little half reales are much smaller and lighter than a 8 reale. I have heard that there are quite a few fakes being sold on ebay so I would have someone look at it. It's still an exciting find. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
lorraine

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Lorraine, the hole may indicate it was made into a pendant but I have dug numerous 1/2 reales that had holes in them. I was told that they used to sew them to the inside of their coats. But the little half reales are much smaller and lighter than a 8 reale. I have heard that there are quite a few fakes being sold on ebay so I would have someone look at it. It's still an exciting find. :icon_thumright:

Here's a pic to show size relative to a dime...the coin is lightweight..1.23 gms.

DSCF1929.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions