Dual Field owners ?

MadPixelPusher

Oct 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
Surf P.I. Dual Field
Dig the bobby pins or you might miss these...

diamond bobby pins.jpg

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Dual Field PI, Stingray 2, Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to see this post I have a dual field and am trying to learn it. I will keep an eye on the pointers you get.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt almetal with the excalibur which you get the double chirps just like the DF. Most of the time the double chirps are junk but I do check many with a switch to Discrimate. I'm still a rookie with the DF..............One tip on finding gold is Turning up the delay to see if the signal
goes away. If it goes away it's more likely gold than coin, copper or
iron...Getting the gold is better when the delay is at the shortest.

I would recommend Clives (CJC) book on the DF.

Last edited:

trsrseeker

May 10, 2011
FL / NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field, Excaliber 11, Sovereign, CTX 3030
Clive's book is a must - really shortens the learning curve - one of his tips that is invaluable with the DF; when you get a double beep change the direction of your coil sweep and see is the double beep repeats. If it does repeat at 90 degrees to the original coil sweep direction then I dig it - usually large hoop ear rings which are occasionally gold - if the double beep does not repeat at 90 degrees it is more often than not a bobby pin in the areas I hunt so I move on and spend the time digging something with a higher probability of being gold. I like OBN''s tip - never thought of that but it makes sense. Good hunting!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too would recommend Clives (CJC) book on the DF. CJC has many good tips in his books.:icon_thumleft:

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
I too would recommend Clives (CJC) book on the DF. CJC has many good tips in his books.:icon_thumleft:

I three recommend Clives book. Then if you read the book and then you go out for a year or so you will start to get the hang of it if your lucky. It is a great machine for finding fishhooks and BBs very deep. I own one! If you like digging junk this is a great machine. There are a couple great hunters here that use it. That is not the norm. Get an Excalibur or CZ 21 and have fun and find more. Sorry but that is the way it is. I wish someone told me sooner. Good luck maybe you will be one of the few? And I dug double beeps. Found 1000 bobby pins and a Hindu Medallio maybe from 1715 fleet. It was worth the 1000 bobby pins.

Last edited:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
OBN is right on the money with his comments as usual. The Dual Field is a terriffic detector if you take the time to learn to listen to what it tells you. The book by CJC on the Dual Field is the best material out there to help cut your learning curve and point out some of the finer points of operation. Money well spent.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Kind of surprised by MBbeachrats knock of the Dual field. It is indeed a great machine when learned and used as intended. That is in the water on beaches that do not have too much trash present. I use it quite a bit and have some great finds with it. I am still learning this machine after a year and a half, but it has paid for itself, a Sand Shark, and an Excalibur in that time. The Excal is the go to machine on the wet sand, easy to learn once you get used to the tones and descriminates out iron well. It does however loose some depth in salt water. The Sand Shark I have not used enough to give an educated opinion on. The Dual Field will always get great depth on everything. You will dig trash and treasure with it. Put a straight shaft on it and you will not have to fight the coil trying to float on you. This is of course talking about wading in the water and not with the dive shaft diving. You can order a custom straight shaft or you can make one for half the price by ordering a dive shaft from Whites. Use only the back section ( the end that holds the control box ) from the dive shaft. Use the middle section from the shaft that you have now. Then use a tall man lower shaft for the bottom section. It is about 10 inches longer than the stock lower shaft. The dive shaft end is shorter than the stock shaft. It all works out like a custom shaft with great babance. You can order this from Whites for around $70.00 including shipping. It works great. As far as great finds, I rarely show mine, but, my best for the Dual Field so far...

2012-07-13 00.38.58-1.jpg

Mens 14k white gold with 78 diamonds and my best for the Excal so far...

2012-07-13 00.31.16-1.jpg

Womens 14k white gold with wedding band about 2 to 3 carrats in diamonds. Yet to get appraised. Like I said, both are great machines when used properly. Hope this helps.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Search n Recovery...

That is some fine looking Treasure. And you are right about the Excalibur n the DF. In the right place and saltwater the DF will find what the other VLF's walk past.

One thing I have done to my DF so I don't go fumbling around looking for the Delay knob when in deep water is to make the knob stand out by adding a little plummers (2 part epoxy) puddy to the front of the Pulse timing knob. Makes finding the knob in deep merky bay water very easy.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN,
Good to hear your feeling better!!!!
Can't wait to see some of you're up coming finds!

SnT

kinigit

Jul 19, 2012
Gainesville, FL
Detector(s) used
Dual Field PI, Stingray 2, Golden Sabre Plus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback all that is some good (I am sure hard-earned) advice. I am looking to get the book from Clive soon. In the meantime I will try the double beep thing. I was amazed at the depth it gets. I like the idea for indexing the knob for easier access underwater. I really hope I find something besides crab trap pieces at 18 inches. Best of luck to you all! Good hunting!

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
OBN, glad to hear you doing better. You always have such good information and have added so much to my knowledge of this sport ( addiction? ). You really should write a few books of your own on detecting. I guarantee I would be one of the first ones to buy.

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a DF and I dig everything, ever the double beep targets, sometimes the beeps are a thin gold chain with a charm on it and if for no other reason to clean the area I'm working.

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Thanks for the feedback all that is some good (I am sure hard-earned) advice. I am looking to get the book from Clive soon. In the meantime I will try the double beep thing. I was amazed at the depth it gets. I like the idea for indexing the knob for easier access underwater. I really hope I find something besides crab trap pieces at 18 inches. Best of luck to you all! Good hunting!

Thats what I am getting at. Crab trap pieces at 18" can make a very long day. You would find more just picking up good targets. True you will miss the deeper ones but I sure quadrupled may finds with CZ 21 . Maybe you can take a peace of crab trap and a couple good targets and practice to see if you can hear a difference. I tried many times and could not. I am not knocking the DF it goes deeper then anything I have tried. It is the only one I found chains with. It's is the only one that would have gone deep enough for my best find. It. Is just with the VLF that I find much more because I do not get caught up digging small deep peaces of junk. I am also at very clean beaches. Maybe if I was younger and would never die I would use the PI.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just curious how bad do the coils float on the DF..... say compared to a SS? Id still like to get a back up machine for the winter when it gets quiet out there. anyone use on at say Siesta Keys where i know there seems to be a lot of can slaw deep. How does the DF react to targets close to each other recovery wise?

Dew

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
The DF floating problem will work on your arms over a days time. Of course if you use a straight shaft then the balance of the machine changes so much that you do not even know their ever was a problem with it floating. I haven't hunted your beaches before so I have no help on that question.

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN, glad to hear you doing better. You always have such good information and have added so much to my knowledge of this sport ( addiction? ). You really should write a few books of your own on detecting. I guarantee I would be one of the first ones to buy.

With out a dought!! I want one (book) and you had better have sighned it!!!!!!
OBN, Hope your book comes with how to dvd!! Seriously!!

SnT

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Guys, but I have to Honest..Everything I know has come from Many Great hunters, Sandman, VBMax, RonLord, Surf Digger, CraigPI, Mel Parker, CJC, Looking Glass Bob (Trevillian), Steve (finderzz) and many of the others that I have talked to and spent time with. I have many plans to visit and learn.... with retirement very soon, next spring is going to Rock..hunting and travel...And I have a long list, to visit..SnT, Bigscoop, Treasure Hunter..Whydah&Casper and it goes on..etc..

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN if your visiting Snt you'll also be meeting me, leprechaun, he's my hunting buddy.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread