Elephant Beach Finally Gives up a Wooly Mammoth !! Woo Hoo !!

Bigpoppa

Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Holy moly, what a crazy day today... :hello2:
I got down to the beach just before low for a gorgeous morning ...:icon_thumleft:
I spent the first hour at one of my favorite beaches, but the entire area was swept clean, with only very few light targets and some scrap debris from the beach replenishments...
I haphazardly gridded out about a two block area, but I just didn't see it happening and didn't want to waste the rest of the morning...

I jumped in the truck and headed south to Elephant Beach, where I have had alot of fun, but nothing yellow to show for all my efforts there the past year...
Since I have been sticking with the wet sand for now, I headed down to the water line to try and save the day...
Not much again, but the packed shells in spots told me that maybe there was hope... So I kept zig-zagging my way south towards a rock jetty, where I often see them surf fishing...
I reached a stretch of embedded shells, so I started gridding the area, right at the low mark...
I get a typical hollow, but wide sounding signal and too my surprise, look what popped out, when I spread the sand with my foot :headbang::headbang::headbang:
Man, I didn't even need to look at any markings, cause the lustre of the gold told me I had a WINNER !! As soon as I held it in my hand, I thought, this one might give PIJoe's monster ring a run for the money....

Go figure out hunting guys, cause I can't...Every day I find piles and piles of keeper targets, but hardly ever any gold....Today I find barely a sniffing of keepers, yet I find the biggest ring I have ever found ...

Like everyone always says, you just never know what is coming up in that next hole :icon_thumleft:
I didn't stick around too much longer after finding this baby as the excitement was too much, plus I was beat from my last few hunts, so I headed home for the celebration..
Well this fattie came up short against Joe's, so it will have to settle in as his younger and much better looking brother :laughing7:

Who here doesn't love metal detecting and the thrill of the hunt ??

Good Luck to you all & Happy Hunting !!!

Totals for the day:
$1.47 in Clad
1- Monster 10K Class Ring 25.0 grams marked B.P.P.B. 8-)
2- Wheaties 1949 & 1957
A few asst sized fishing sinkers
Some human metal waste that found it's way to the beach :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer!! When you least expect it! One of the thrills of this addiction

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE HONKER :headbang:

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Congratulations on a stunning gold class ring find!

Lorraine

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Nice whopper! That copper sheet may be copper sheathing off an old ship.

SNF101480

Mar 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That beach held out on the gold for a while, you made up for it with 25 grams of gold! It paid to keep going to that same beach! Nice job!

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Terriffic gold ring! You should give us a good picture of it all cleaned up. Congrats!

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG,on that chunk of Gold so happy for you:headbang:,,HH:hello:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
BP, you've been putting in a lot of time on the sand. Glad to see it pay off! Wtg, nice ring!!!! You've found the happy zone on that beach.

Two days ago a buddy of mine had a similar experience about 30 miles south of you. Nothing but the sounds of silence and then bamm!!!! Monster sized platinum ear ring!!! Gotta love the Jersey shore!!!!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a hunk of gold, Great day at the beach.:icon_thumleft:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done, congratulation!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread