tn
Detector(s) used
teknetics T2
Thank you for your inquiry. TVA must balance public use of its managed
lands with its legal responsibilities to protect both natural and
cultural resources. Based on the results of a recent evaluation, TVA has
changed its guidelines for metal detecting and will no longer allow this
activity on its managed lands in order to ensure the protection of
sensitive, protected archaeological sites.

Environmental Information Center
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2012 9:31 AM
To: Law, Charles W; EIC
Subject: EIC: Question from website

On Monday, September 3, 2012 at 09:30:37, the following data was
submitted from TVA: Environmental Information Center

EIC Question
Question: I have just found out that T.V.A. are
withholding metal detecting permit's for recreational use, and find this
disturbing.I live near the lake I pay my electric bill every month as I
have for the past 47 yrs. not letting someone enjoy their sport at the
lake just like the boater's , fishermen , camper's , muscle diver's,
commercial fisherman, riverboat's ect. all who use this lake in their
own way reap from it's benefit's, I indeed feel this is wrong. I have
lot's of detector friends and they are all great people with high
regards of the land they hunt, I am not sure of the reason why you have
done this, so a response would be the cordial thing to do.

thank you

Upvote 0

Grizzly13

Sep 22, 2012
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac/Sunray Probe. Garrett 2500/garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I feel for you, obviously you are beating a dead horse. The people you are dealing with have a written generic excuse for everything they have to comfront. The worst thing that we as a free country can do is let the State or Federal agencies be involved in (OUR) land. Each time that happens they come up with more rules and regulations to protect us (FROM WHAT)? Ourselves or them? To ensure the protection of
sensitive, protected archaeological sites, what the h-ll does that mean? Protect from what? What is the purpose of this, let our treasures vanish, dissolve or float away? Why? What good would this be for any of us? Are you kidding me, just what we need more regs. We are our own worst enemies! Especially these people who try and justify their jobs by sitting on their a--es thinking of ways they can be more miserable in their lives, they think it will feel better by making the rest of us miserable with them. They think they actually own the land, it belongs to them, when in reality all they really own is a 1/4 acre building lot! And how about the water way thats not a sensitive site? Come on we just are small in numbers thats why they get away with stepping on us. Like I always say , we need more Attorneys in this country ! NOT !

TxMike

Mar 6, 2005
Columbus, Tx
Detector(s) used
White's
Fisher
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Bureaucrats only understand 2 things: Loss of their departments funding and Loss of their particular government position. Find a way to disrupt either one of those two and you may get some results.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again, another agency not understanding what we do. A sign saying no detecting in protected archeological sites is all that is needed, but I have a feeling thats just their excuse. Total BS. Its just like sports fields that have signs saying no detecting. They should say no digging, because you can detect for fresh drops with a probe and pin pointer without digging. The soccer players tear the fields all to hell in a way detectorist never would, even if they were digging targets. Its a shame that we are looked at as a bunch of hole digging relic stealers. I guess we have it better here than in most countries around the world, but everytime another one of our rights is taken away we get a little closer to being just like them. Im tired of stupid people with no common sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread