Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm writing this with the ring in the pocket of my PJ's. I don't want to forget the details before I have a memory lapse. I'll photograph the ring later.

There is this long, lonely stretch of beach near home that is usually wonderful for me...more for the solitude and relaxation then "treasures". Tuesday I had to cut my detecting short when I found this poor pelican on the sand. He had a broken right wing...so bad that the bone ends were visible. I put my detector and scoop down and spoke soothingly to the poor bird. After a few minutes he seemed to calm down enough for me to try to pick him up. With my left hand holding his beak (that "beak" looks more like a sword) I grabbed his body with my right hand and tucked him under my right arm. Well, I had him ... but what about my scoop and detector? I was about a quarter mile away from my parked car. There were some joggers going by but not close enough to enlist their help.

My brain was going 100 miles per hour. The only thing I could do was to shift the bird slightly and grab his beak with my right hand. Thankfully with a few soothing words he didn't protest. I grabbed my detector and scoop now with my free left hand and began the long trudge to the car. I had to walk delicately so as not to jostle the bird and also balance the detector and scoop in my left hand. After about 100 yards I was close to the boardwalk and had to stop to readjust both loads. A young man (from heaven!) stopped and asked me if I needed some help. YES...I asked him to carry my detector and scoop. It was a much easier trip to the car.

The pelican was situated in the passenger side foot well with a cardboard (post office mailing box unfolded) cover. I took him to the Sea Bird Refuge in San Pedro about a dozen miles away. I don't do this for the acclaim or for the possible good karma...I do it because I have no choice. But sometimes I do feel that some good karma comes my way. Fast forward to yesterday.

I was walking that same lonely (but lovely) stretch of beach. Finding enough coins to make me happy...but quite truthfully my happiness was the detecting...any "finding" was a bonus. A mercury dime made me even happier! An asian lady was walking by holding a long staff. She smiled deeply at me and said, "You look so happy!" Well at that point I was pretty much done for the day and quite pooped out. We chatted a few minutes and I showed her my finds. She thanked me and before she left she sort of gave me a blessing saying.. "May you soon find a gold ring!"

Well my energy level increased 200% and rather than quitting like I had planned I continued on. I was amazingly starting to find more and more coins, dimes and quarters in place of the corroded cents that were more common. Then about ten minutes from the lady's "blessing" there in my scoop was a beautiful gold ring with a green stone and 4 small diamonds. I looked in the direction the lady had walked but she was gone. I so much wanted to show her the ring.

Was it karma..was it the blessing? I don't know ... but I sure am happy!

PS: It is 14K and 6.15 grams (Is it a mans or womans ring? I thought mans at first but it seems quite ornate enough for a womans ...but the diamonds have such a masculine look?)

Merc45sm.jpg
zGold18oct2sm.jpg

Upvote 0

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooooooo! Sswweeett!!
Your a good man well.... Deserved!!

Snt

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, obviously it was skill not karma. I can't imagine a man wearing that, at least I wouldn't

I'm thinkin ladies. My wife talks about karma all the time. I remind her that karma is not going to pay for the out of State tuition. But it is kind of a nice thing to think about every once in awhile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread