Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm writing this with the ring in the pocket of my PJ's. I don't want to forget the details before I have a memory lapse. I'll photograph the ring later.

There is this long, lonely stretch of beach near home that is usually wonderful for me...more for the solitude and relaxation then "treasures". Tuesday I had to cut my detecting short when I found this poor pelican on the sand. He had a broken right wing...so bad that the bone ends were visible. I put my detector and scoop down and spoke soothingly to the poor bird. After a few minutes he seemed to calm down enough for me to try to pick him up. With my left hand holding his beak (that "beak" looks more like a sword) I grabbed his body with my right hand and tucked him under my right arm. Well, I had him ... but what about my scoop and detector? I was about a quarter mile away from my parked car. There were some joggers going by but not close enough to enlist their help.

My brain was going 100 miles per hour. The only thing I could do was to shift the bird slightly and grab his beak with my right hand. Thankfully with a few soothing words he didn't protest. I grabbed my detector and scoop now with my free left hand and began the long trudge to the car. I had to walk delicately so as not to jostle the bird and also balance the detector and scoop in my left hand. After about 100 yards I was close to the boardwalk and had to stop to readjust both loads. A young man (from heaven!) stopped and asked me if I needed some help. YES...I asked him to carry my detector and scoop. It was a much easier trip to the car.

The pelican was situated in the passenger side foot well with a cardboard (post office mailing box unfolded) cover. I took him to the Sea Bird Refuge in San Pedro about a dozen miles away. I don't do this for the acclaim or for the possible good karma...I do it because I have no choice. But sometimes I do feel that some good karma comes my way. Fast forward to yesterday.

I was walking that same lonely (but lovely) stretch of beach. Finding enough coins to make me happy...but quite truthfully my happiness was the detecting...any "finding" was a bonus. A mercury dime made me even happier! An asian lady was walking by holding a long staff. She smiled deeply at me and said, "You look so happy!" Well at that point I was pretty much done for the day and quite pooped out. We chatted a few minutes and I showed her my finds. She thanked me and before she left she sort of gave me a blessing saying.. "May you soon find a gold ring!"

Well my energy level increased 200% and rather than quitting like I had planned I continued on. I was amazingly starting to find more and more coins, dimes and quarters in place of the corroded cents that were more common. Then about ten minutes from the lady's "blessing" there in my scoop was a beautiful gold ring with a green stone and 4 small diamonds. I looked in the direction the lady had walked but she was gone. I so much wanted to show her the ring.

Was it karma..was it the blessing? I don't know ... but I sure am happy!

PS: It is 14K and 6.15 grams (Is it a mans or womans ring? I thought mans at first but it seems quite ornate enough for a womans ...but the diamonds have such a masculine look?)

Merc45sm.jpg
zGold18oct2sm.jpg

Upvote 0

kiana7

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2012
Riverside,California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO,Whites PI dual Field,CZ21,Stealth 790
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:blob10::blob3::blob5::blob6::blob8::blob9::blob1::rocks3::rocks::jim:You were truly blessed,You have such a soft spot in you for animals,:icon_thumright:most people would say just another bird dying,but you went out of your way to save that Pelican and at that given moment God was truly smiling down at you:hello2:Your blessings were returned double folded:angel3::angel5:Great story even on that Asian lady,That sure is a lady's ring looks like emerald-diamond ring,something maybe that asian lady would use:icon_thumright:you never know:icon_scratch:I do know one thing,you were Blessed,many more treasures my friend:occasion14:next hunt Santa Monica and Venice Beach,,HH:hello:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful story and good Karma came your way for the good deed. :headbang:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Joe,

Great story and great find.....and yeah I believe in karma also or as the expression goes what goes around comes around.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards + HH

Bill

Bassmaster

Jul 7, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, obviously it was skill not karma. I can't imagine a man wearing that, at least I wouldn't

oldnlazy

Oct 6, 2012
Treasure hunting is about making memories... be it finding gold or rescuing a pelican...you will allways remember the good you did...that's as good as gold in the end.

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great story and adventure on the beach, your avatar fits well on this story showing your heart for animals that really made my day :sunny:if you can an update on the Pelicans well been would be very appreciated for us animal lovers........the gold is just icing on the cake

kam50

Mar 7, 2009
Canton,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 Garrett Pro pointer
Minelab X-Terra 305 Garrett pro pointer(Fake one got ripped off!)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story and a beautiful ring WOW

tngirl

Mar 16, 2012
N. Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x & 1280 Aquanaut, White's XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So sweet of you to help the bird, I wish more people were like that. Glad you rewarded with that gorgeous ring!

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome ring and story, good deed done = Gold ring.:leprechaun-hat:

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWSOME! A beautiful emerald and ice, plus, saving a pelican. What's next? :notworthy: :notworthy:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe in Karma. Seems like every time a find a gold ring for someone I find another within days of it. That is one beautiful ring and Mama is going to be real happy with that one.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Good story, good deed, good karma and a great ring. Now that is a day worth remembering.

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ring find Dr. Joe and it had to be Karma for sure.
Well done and thanks for sharing the story.
Gold Nuggets :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions