NJ coin beach?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Earley reports said the beach was out of reach - without access. Don't know how true that is, but so far no Reales showing up on Jersey dominated FB pages. Possible that finds wouldn't show up because every hunter within 300 miles knows the location of that beach. Post Reales and you'll be elbow to elbow with hunters.

There is another beach, known as Coin beach, however, as of late last week that beach was also inaccessable, taking a major hit. That beach isn't in NJ.

OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the update there NF, I am unable to do any traveling for the next 4 weeks, by then the beaches should be open but the sand will have been moved back to the beach by then I suppose.:BangHead:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work off shore. Here is my theory: mild storms and sand movements allow heavies to settle deeper. Violent storms are ripping so much sand off the beach that it's taking a lot of the heavies with it. After the storm, nature begins movingall the sand gently back up onto the beach, leaving those heavies out in the water.

Of course, this is dependent on location in relation to the eye. One side will be throwing everything higher up on the beach, other side will be pulling everything out.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
ZDD, no worries. Sandy is the first storm of the season. She churned things up. There are some pretty interesting old items turning up on the beaches that are huntable. There is plenty of season left. No doubt future less destructive stroms will do their usual job of cutting the beach.

ticm, you are right, people do have to worry about more than trinkets found on the beach. However, if the town is open for business,and the beach is not closed there is nothing wrong with doing some hunting. use discretion and don't hunt areas where house reamains litter the beach.

And, to the bleeding hearts out there who believe it is insensitive to hunt Sandy's NJ path right now let me give you the flip side. While NJ hunters are saddened by what happened and many have donated time and money to victims we realize that in NJ, on the barrier islands, what was lost, by a wide margin were second homes. A typical beach front property in Mantoloking goes for almost 5 million dollars. Let me put that in perspective. Put down 1 million dollars and pay $20,000 a month in mortgage payments. Add in another 4k a month in taxes. That's for a place that gets used four months out of the year. The point, while we are saddened our level of empathy for those who lost second homes does not rise to that of Katrina victims or Charlie Victims or Tulsa tornado victims. These people are not homeless, are not out on the street. If you can afford to pay those amounts for a second home you should be well insured, let us know how the insurance check spends. Come back build it bigger, build it better. For those who are homeless, you have our full sympathy. We stand ready to help in any way we can.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Native Floridian said:
ZDD, no worries. Sandy is the first storm of the season. She churned things up. There are some pretty interesting old items turning up on the beaches that are huntable. There is plenty of season left. No doubt future less destructive stroms will do their usual job of cutting the beach.

ticm, you are right, people do have to worry about more than trinkets found on the beach. However, if the town is open for business,and the beach is not closed there is nothing wrong with doing some hunting. use discretion and don't hunt areas where house reamains litter the beach.

And, to the bleeding hearts out there who believe it is insensitive to hunt Sandy's NJ path right now let me give you the flip side. While NJ hunters are saddened by what happened and many have donated time and money to victims we realize that in NJ, on the barrier islands, what was lost, by a wide margin were second homes. A typical beach front property in Mantoloking goes for almost 5 million dollars. Let me put that in perspective. Put down 1 million dollars and pay $20,000 a month in mortgage payments. Add in another 4k a month in taxes. That's for a place that gets used four months out of the year. The point, while we are saddened our level of empathy for those who lost second homes does not rise to that of Katrina victims or Charlie Victims or Tulsa tornado victims. These people are not homeless, are not out on the street. If you can afford to pay those amounts for a second home you should be well insured, let us know how the insurance check spends. Come back build it bigger, build it better. For those who are homeless, you have our full sympathy. We stand ready to help in any way we can.

So are you one of the bleeding hearts or not. You did some flip flopping here. May I suggest coming to seaside NJ for a hunt real soon. I want to watch.

Last edited:

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
T - no flip flopping. Detecting on the heals of the hurricane would have been wrong. Now, we've had time to sort out the beaches. In towns that are open for business, where the beaches are open hunting is going on. As long as you are not making a pest out of yourself or getting in the way, why not?

I'm hooked into a large community of local beach hunters. Everyone of them is empathic to the situation. Many have donated time and money to help those in need. Some are donating proceeds from their finds to the cause. None are looking to cash in on someone elses misery. None is hunting beaches where the homes have been can openered.

Beyond that, my personal solution for the the most damaged sections of the barrier islands would be to pay off the owners, but not allow rebuilding. Take the land, restore the beaches, turn it into a public park along the lines of Island Beach State Park. A resource we can all enjoy. As state tax payers we assure ourselves that we never again have to pick up the tab to subsidize rebuilding million dollar vacation homes built on moving islands. Nor will we have to spend millions of our money replenishing beaches to protect those homes. Beaches that none of us have access to. Beaches the priviledged few keep us from. Beaches that we as taxpayers are picking up 100% of the tab to rebuild. Understand that I don't believe the political will exists in this state for that to happen, but as cold as it sounds, that's what should happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure lots of people have much more to worry about the trinkets found on the beach.
I am sure they do, I have lived through natural disasters and know full well the turmoil people go through after such an event. Just a few things I would like to point out, first I am talking about a ship that went 1781 not about detecting someones property. Secondly, I am sure that most treasure hunters, upon finding someones personal items on the beach would return if they could, like a ring or a photo album. Thirdly, I am a treasure finder and by the nature of my hobby I take advantage of someones misfortune whether it be a 1700s ship wreck or someones watch lost during a hurricane. Now if that watch were to have a name of the owner on it I would do my utmost to return it, as I am sure you would. But the bottom line is that our hobby capitalizes one someones misfortune. If you can come to grip with that then best find a new hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zodiacdiverdave

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Work off shore. Here is my theory: mild storms and sand movements allow heavies to settle deeper. Violent storms are ripping so much sand off the beach that it's taking a lot of the heavies with it. After the storm, nature begins movingall the sand gently back up onto the beach, leaving those heavies out in the water.

Of course, this is dependent on location in relation to the eye. One side will be throwing everything higher up on the beach, other side will be pulling everything out.
I do believe you are correct Jason, especially with this site as these coins were dumped there fairly recently and may not have had time to make it into the cracks in the bed rock.
Maybe I will bring my scuba gear.
ZDD

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have scuba and Excal / PI detectors. Just wish I could get out there. Can't miss my phys therapy.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
ZDD, you raise some really good points. First, that in the end, everything we find, someone else lost. Secondly, about returning the hurricane finds. I was having this conversation with a couple guys i hunt with and we agree that we'll probably be scooping up finds fron this storm for years. Especially with the way the cleanup is going. The state has dropped all the EPA/DEP red tape and is just dumping the sand right back on the beach. There is no real cleaning or screening. No doubt some of that sand contains items washed from houses near the beach.

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
To get back to the topic at hand---Was out on coin beach at Indian River Inlet today for 2 hours--nothing. Oc Md was meager at best. Good Luck

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Native Floridian said:
ZDD, you raise some really good points. First, that in the end, everything we find, someone else lost. Secondly, about returning the hurricane finds. I was having this conversation with a couple guys i hunt with and we agree that we'll probably be scooping up finds fron this storm for years. Especially with the way the cleanup is going. The state has dropped all the EPA/DEP red tape and is just dumping the sand right back on the beach. There is no real cleaning or screening. No doubt some of that sand contains items washed from houses near the beach.

I'm going to sell bandages on the beach for the next couple of years for all the people who cut there feet on all the crap left under the sand.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
Joel, thx for the report! Kinda the same up here in Jersey. Our best guess is that the storm scoured the beach, took off the top layer dragging most of the trash way, but then brought the dune sand down. Most are finding long lost clad. There have been a few nice bling finds, but no more than usual. A large part of the group is unable to hunt because their beaches are still closed.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A simple question was asked and as usual here come the trouble makers running their mouths.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
lookindown said:
A simple question was asked and as usual here come the trouble makers running their mouths.

Don't think of yourself as a trouble maker like that. Your opinion counts too.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
Native Floridian said:
You've got that dead on!!!!!

It's going to be a nightmare to detect sifting all that crap out of are sand scoops.

Native Floridian

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2012
Ft Myers, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excal, Sov GT
Primary Interest:
ticm, maybe. IMO, Most of the heavy stuff will sink out of range soon enough. I expect that we'll be picking nails and other fasteners out of the scoops for some time to come. Interestingly, there is a beach where we get ships nails from 100 year old plus ship wrecks. There are ship wrecks up and down the coast of NJ, and Fl as well, but only on this one beach do I get nails. No complaints, as they are a cool find, but go figure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread