Fine Silver Diamond UPDATE

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't know if I need to apologize or not. :dontknow: But here's the short of it. Since my "jeweler assured" post that the diamond was real, two other jewelers have since looked at the stone and, well, they just can't all agree. Two testers have been put on the stone and one says yes and the other no, the third and most recent jeweler did not put a tester on the stone but simply looked it over through a glass and said, "Nope. It's too perfect to be real." So, I'm thinking it's time to buy my own tester. :BangHead: But basically, here is what is at the center of the issue; (I am not a stone authority so while I understand the debate, I'm not sure I understand the debate.)

When found, the ring was very tarnished and scaled, so I gave it a quick cleaning just to get rid of the majority of the scale and tarnish. Right away you could see that the ring had a fair amount of age and wear on it, the silver being nicked and scratched, and now here comes the issue that is apparently at the center of the debate. The stone doesn't have the slightest scratch, chip, or inclusion, etc., which apparently, given the obvious condition and wear on the ring, is highly unlikely. So, while I do understand the issue, I don't understand why it has become so difficult for anyone to be certain if the darn thing is real or not. :dontknow: Anyone ever been in one of these "yes - no" debates before? At this point i can live with the stone being fake, if I could just be certain it was in fact fake. If it turns out to be fake I assure you it was never my intention to mislead anyone.

If anyone has a great deal of experience with diamonds could possibly please explain, or shed some light, on the issue at hand.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it possible that the stone had been lost and replaced with a newer stone? I'm no expert either.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible its Moissanite Moissanite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They even have testers for them now. But as jewelers you would think they would agree.... thats the odd thing. Take it to a pawn shop to sell it.... i bet they will know. My tester book tells me to set it on a higher number for larger stone than small ones.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it possible its Moissanite Moissanite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They even have testers for them now. But as jewelers you would think they would agree.... thats the odd thing. Take it to a pawn shop to sell it.... i bet they will know. My tester book tells me to set it on a higher number for larger stone than small ones.

Dew

I think that's the next stop.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would take it to more jewelers and pawn shops and see what they say...if everyone after the first tester says its not real, then the first person that tested it must have made a mistake. Then take it back to the one who said it was real and offer them a good deal on it.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a rin log ago - it had a mark in it that had a P in it - have never seen that mark since in a ring- ring looked silver - but also looked like junk - had a stone in it that looked like a diamond - handed it to an old girlfriend and said"hey found a ring for you" the ring was beat up and needed a cleaning
she handed it back to me I looked it over and said - "it has weight to it - wonder if that P is for platinum
I had and that point not found a platinum ring nor had I met any other TH'ers that found one either
so off to jewelr #1 to have checked - they said ring was crap and so was stone - goodbye
off to jeweler #2 - he says ring is platinum - its an old symbol - but stone is crap
I thought that is odd - who back then would put crap in platinum
off to #3 = ring is crap - but offers me $25 - told him its supposedly platinum - oh let me see it again - I'll give you$50
off to #4 - this jeweler was kinda young - he tells me "Im a licensed gemologists and points to his deree on the wall
he looks it over and asks if h can remove the stone - he cleans it - looks at it under a high power scope
breaks out a book - and then asks me if I want a complete appraisal - I said Im not gonna pay good money on a junk ring
he says - no no no - you found a good ring here
He says he will clean and appraise and give me info on it for $40 - okay
the diamond was an old cut - 1890's the ring was platinum - and he even was able to tell me the diamond cutter that was from NY
because he had a specific way of finishing his stones - he sent me to a guy that wold buy the stone and the metal
I got around $1000 for it around 1986

I also found a ring a few yrs back that had moisenites in it - luckily the tester my girl bought me was made for diamonds and moisenites

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a rin log ago - it had a mark in it that had a P in it - have never seen that mark since in a ring- ring looked silver - but also looked like junk - had a stone in it that looked like a diamond - handed it to an old girlfriend and said"hey found a ring for you" the ring was beat up and needed a cleaning
she handed it back to me I looked it over and said - "it has weight to it - wonder if that P is for platinum
I had and that point not found a platinum ring nor had I met any other TH'ers that found one either
so off to jewelr #1 to have checked - they said ring was crap and so was stone - goodbye
off to jeweler #2 - he says ring is platinum - its an old symbol - but stone is crap
I thought that is odd - who back then would put crap in platinum
off to #3 = ring is crap - but offers me $25 - told him its supposedly platinum - oh let me see it again - I'll give you$50
off to #4 - this jeweler was kinda young - he tells me "Im a licensed gemologists and points to his deree on the wall
he looks it over and asks if h can remove the stone - he cleans it - looks at it under a high power scope
breaks out a book - and then asks me if I want a complete appraisal - I said Im not gonna pay good money on a junk ring
he says - no no no - you found a good ring here
He says he will clean and appraise and give me info on it for $40 - okay
the diamond was an old cut - 1890's the ring was platinum - and he even was able to tell me the diamond cutter that was from NY
because he had a specific way of finishing his stones - he sent me to a guy that wold buy the stone and the metal
I got around $1000 for it around 1986

I also found a ring a few yrs back that had moisenites in it - luckily the tester my girl bought me was made for diamonds and moisenites

So am I understanding that Masonite can fool a standard diamond tester?

wavecrazed

Jul 21, 2009
Orlando FLorida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Excallibur 1000, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just google diamond testing. I think there is the uv light test and and a few others.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Simple answer is yes it can fool it, you can get a diamond tester that can identify Masonite, but it costs a lot more $$$$$...............

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, I have my own tester and when the battery is low it doesn't work properly so if the first guy tested it and said it was real it might be, but I will say they usually don't put a diamond into a silver ring.
well anyways I hope it is, there few and far between. HH Lep.:icon_thumright:

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well my diamond tester was less than $80 from Amazon.com Amazon.com: NEW Rs Mizar Diamond+moissanite Dual Tester Jewellery Tool: Home & Kitchen . You test the suspected diamond and if it is real, the green light lights up for a positive diamond and a high pitch tone sounds, but you do have to keep the test probe on long enough. However, if it is Moissanite the green light and high pitch comes on for diamond, then moments later the tones drops and another light comes on saying Moissanite. Apparently the characteristics of the two stones are very similar and you have to keep the test probe on long enough to tell if it is Moissanite. I got the tester for Christmas, unfortunately, it was sent from China and took 4 weeks to arrive. If I had it to do over again, I would have found one from the US, but then that might also have been manufactured in China. I checked reviews on the tester, and found glowing positive and glowing negative reviews, with little recourse to resolve issues with the supplier in China if something goes wrong. I took the chance and bought it anyway. Have not had a single issue with what I bought. It tests positive on stones I know to be diamonds and Tests negative on stones I know to be CZ and have had at least one stone test as Moissanite. I would suggest you go to other jewelers or pawn shops to have it tested until you are convinced you have the right answer. good luck, hope it is a diamond for ya. Papa

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I see the link I just included is out of stock. Just cut and paste (Mizar Diamond+moissanite Dual Tester ) into the Amazon search area and there are other suppliers of the same tester. Papa

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Look at jewelry ads in the paper...lots of diamonds being set in silver now...gold is too costly!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look at jewelry ads in the paper...lots of diamonds being set in silver now...gold is too costly!

Not much if any jewelry is made of silver with any good diamonds. Cheap diamonds, small diamonds, not good ones. Gold is never too costly for the wealthy and the wealthy class is growing larger every day. The odds are that it surely is not in fact a diamond.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much if any jewelry is made of silver with any good diamonds. Cheap diamonds, small diamonds, not good ones. Gold is never too costly for the wealthy and the wealthy class is growing larger every day. The odds are that it surely is not in fact a diamond.

You may want to rethink "some" of this again. Since this originally posted I have two silver bands with diamonds, my hunting partner has also recently found silver bands with diamonds. Are they high quality diamonds....."no"....but they were certainly real diamonds. The economy has demanded it, cheaper diamond settings to fill a growing demand, real diamonds can even be found in tungsten and stainless steel these days for the same reasons, though as you say, most of them are low quality diamonds. However, some top name designers are even setting diamonds in some of their more expensive sterling designs, another growing trend in face of the recent higher gold prices. And, another surprise, real emeralds and rubies are also being used more frequently in sterling jewelry.

Here's a quick ebay link you may wish to scope out;
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=sterling+silver+diamond+solitaire+ring&_sop=3

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions