Excal Issue/Help

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was having another pretty good outing this morning when all of a sudden my excal started groaning like tom cat in heat. Eventually it just tapered off into a very weak and low threshold tone, so I figured it was the battery. Swapped machines and finished the day out. Now here's the thing, when I got home I put the battery on a volt meter and it read 12.34 volts, and, the machine was running fine again. This is about the third or forth time this has happened and I've checked all the wiring and fiddled with them while she is running and can't cause any issues. Best I can figure is that the battery voltage is up but that maybe something is causing the flow of current to get disrupted and the current isn't sufficient? Would get a new battery but not sure if that's the issue or not. :dontknow: Anyone ever had this issue?

Upvote 0

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huston, I think we found the problem. That battery is actually good, but the pod isn't. Very large targets kept triggering the issue so I thought for sure is was the board, however, turns out the female contacts on the battery pod are worn oversized and badly pitted, which in some way was apparently restricting the flow of current. :icon_scratch: I'm no expert, all I know is that the problem was addressed yesterday morning and it's purring like a kitten, large targets no longer give it fits. Who'd of thunk it? Certainly not me. :occasion14:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone did mention in a post some time ago about checking to ensure you plug in fit properly and using something to gently spread each prong. Great you found the problem.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone did mention in a post some time ago about checking to ensure you plug in fit properly and using something to gently spread each prong. Great you found the problem.

Dew

Well, that's the thing. Did all that, contact cleaner, etc., and it was still freaking out. I still need a new pod and have one on the way, but at least the issue was finally figured out and it wasn't a major. The guy that figured it out did it in the dark., seriously. He turned the unit on and kept unplugging and plugging it back in watching the contact spark, which he said he could hear in the headphones, but only during the initial contact spark, after that....nothing, no matter what he tried. He finally stuck a couple of tiny balls of foil in the bottom of the female connectors, and presto! :laughing7: But if I back the connection off just a little bit it will start freaking out again.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That was Whyda tip a few weeks ago on the plug, How soon we all forget.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe...... could have been yesterday to me that is some time a go lol. Dats Southern for i dont know when haha. Now back to work on finding us pod repairs that allow us to keep all our limbs.

Dew

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got so much information coming into my tiny leaky boat it's spilling over the decks. :laughing7: SOS!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread