East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congratulations on the super couple of tides hunting the hole. When you are a newbee you don't necessarily realize the significance of a hole opening up. The first year I hunted I found a 4'-5' deep x 30' wide and 50' long hole at the beach. It was in the summer near the low tide line and people were swimming in and around the hole to be out of the rougher waves coming in from some storm off shore. I should have stuck around and waited for folks to leave the area for the day or come back earlier the next day to hunt the hole before the swimmers came back, but alas, I did not realize what I had found. Two days later the hole was gone and I know of no one who detected it. That was also in 2007. I have learned quite a bit about beach hunting since then and know that I missed an opportunity. Glad you took advantage of your opportunity. Good luck finding another one in 2013.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Congrats on getting your story published and your finds. Concerning the 18 feet of beach erosion, I do not normally hunt beaches because they are too far from the house but on an occasion, I do get to hunt one. My question is, when you say nearly 18 feet of beach erosion, are you saying from the top of where the beach once was down to where the water meets the sand? Not sure if I am asking the question properly, but maybe the diagram will help. Thank you for your help and please forgive my ignorance, not sure if I have ever seen what you are talking about and the sad thing is, I grew up on a beach when I was a child.

Attachments

• 18 feet of beach erosion.jpg
    18 feet of beach erosion.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 145
OP
OP
BEACH-HUNTER

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Congrats on getting your story published and your finds. Concerning the 18 feet of beach erosion, I do not normally hunt beaches because they are too far from the house but on an occasion, I do get to hunt one. My question is, when you say nearly 18 feet of beach erosion, are you saying from the top of where the beach once was down to where the water meets the sand? Not sure if I am asking the question properly, but maybe the diagram will help. Thank you for your help and please forgive my ignorance, not sure if I have ever seen what you are talking about and the sad thing is, I grew up on a beach when I was a child.
No really sure how to explain it but...One type of erosion is when where there once was a dune that towered over the beach, gets completely washed away...some beach by the way they are made up can get huge holes washed into them that can be very very deep. Beaches that get these deep cuts are mostly steep slope beaches with high dunes and loose sand make up.

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Roger that, I appreciate you getting back to me so quick. The beach I grew up on was in a cove and there were no dunes. When I get the opportunity to head to a beach, I forget how it looked before and am usually good at finding the aluminum lane. I have heard of coin lanes and gold and silver lanes but they have alluded me thus far. Different subject but I enjoy learning and discussing water detecting. Again, do appreciate your answer, thank you for the help.

OP
OP
BEACH-HUNTER

BEACH-HUNTER

Feb 11, 2007
NORTHEAST, USA
Detector(s) used
Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
Congrats! Enjoy the $100.00 shopping spree.
No $100 shopping spree this time, your limited to 2 stories that they pay/give $100 gift certs per a year this is my 3rd story so no shopping this time...but cool just to see my stuff posted.

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had a couple stories published myself from the Whites forum, an awesome story that gets the blood flowing to get out there and find the goodies, congrats Beach hunter :sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread