Hope your young...Nice scoop!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
A word of warning

First of all, aluminum scoops get damaged at the lip after a while, do some research and you'll see. Mine did. Others have recommended welding a stainless steel lip to it, that might make it alright. You need to cover the handle with something, otherwise you will smudge your hands black. You will need a T bar or something like that, at the top of the handle so you can drag the scoop along without damaging your wrists. I suppose you can carry it.

The design looks good as it is 90 degrees, but it needs a proper foot pad at the back. Without one... ouch.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a SS lip riveted on my Beach Brute II, no damage at all to the scoop, ss lip is way to go....:thumbsup:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First of all, aluminum scoops get damaged at the lip after a while, do some research and you'll see. Mine did. Others have recommended welding a stainless steel lip to it, that might make it alright. You need to cover the handle with something, otherwise you will smudge your hands black. You will need a T bar or something like that, at the top of the handle so you can drag the scoop along without damaging your wrists. I suppose you can carry it.

The design looks good as it is 90 degrees, but it needs a proper foot pad at the back. Without one... ouch.

This RTG 7" Monster Scoop, has about 600-hours on it. That includes 150-hours or so in the rocky, shell-filled beaches of Connecticut, on Long Island Sound. The aluminum scoops are lighter and hold up VERY well in my experience. You do not need to cover the long handle to avoid "Black hand," you just need to wear a light glove, and my wrists are just fine after dragging and carrying the scoop for miles, and miles, and miles. I'll be first in line for this new wire bottom scoop!!!

Attachments

• scooper1.jpg
    scooper1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 128
  • scooper2.jpg
    scooper2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 122

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want one, but the now it's impossible, in future maybe...:thumbsup:

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a fan of RTG aluminum scoops but would have to agree that over time there is risk of dinging the lip, at least on the 6 inch version. However they do offer a model that includes a stainless steel lip for the 6 inch aluminum scoop. Perhaps that will be an option on the new 7 inch scoop as well.

OP
OP
Hag730

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First of all......I dont believe you can weld stainless steel to aluminum. Not with a typical process anyways.

OP
OP
Hag730

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasnt trying to stir anything up.....just letting you know its out there and coming to a store near you. Personally, I've got a T Rex.....love the scoop, but sometimes it feels like I'm dragging around a boat anchor.

mandad76

Jun 26, 2008
BAYTOWN, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
SPECTRA V3i/BHID 300
I use the 6" RTG wire back aluminum scoop...it's great - I did have them add ss lip and t-handle...best scoop I've owned

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the idea of a rear screen on an aluminum scoop, provided it does not become the weak link. The screen should sift much better than standard punched holes. This would be handy in the water and even the dry sand.

Something I found interesting is that the 7 inch scoop is 10 inches in length (at least if it follows RTG's existing 7 inch aluminum scoop design i.e. the one that does not have the screen backing) vs the 6 inch scoop that is 11 inches in length. So you can technically scoop a little deeper on a scoop by scoop basis with the 6 inch version. Of course the 7 inch scoop will take a wider bite of out of the sand.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
...Or you can save all this trouble and get a stainless steel scoop. :thumbsup: I've been ripped off buying an aluminium scoop, just trying to warn others.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread