Bahamas trip

claytargethntr

Sep 20, 2009
Hello all,

It has been a while since posting, but wanted to pass on some info from our time in Nassau.

I did not see another detector the week we were there. My wife and I stayed in Nassau, not Paradise Island. We were there for a week. I had found a little online about detecting before leaving on vacation.

Bahama law is from high tide mark down is no mans land, but hotel we were at there is no way to get to the beach but from the hotel and they charge non guests $40.00 per person per day.

On day three of being there I ask the concierge if they allowed guests to hunt. He said he never been ask before and I needed to ask the guys at the lifeguard station. So off I went. The guys at the lifeguard station and I talked for a bit, he said from time to time they have guys from the cruise ship try to come in but they run them off. But since I was staying there. The beach was all mine. I told them I would go after hours, haul out all I dug and not leave a trace I was there.

So for four nights I went down to the beach around 9:30pm and hunt till 11:30-12:30. The beach was fairly well lit. Unfortunately while I was there high tide was around the time I was hunting. As the tide went out I would follow it out and the hunting was amazing. During rising tide and high tide I hunted the dry sand. Great hunting there to. The slope of the beach is shallow. And getting in the water during rising tide was a waste in my experience. The water is super clear and the Excalibur ran smooth as butter. Surprised though because there was a fair bit of rusty metal stuck to the magnet in my scoop. The trash to good target was probably 5 good to one piece of trash. I guarantee there is a lot more jewelry out there in the water. I got blisters on my hands from digging so much in a short amount of time.

I bet there is three pounds of coins, one small gold ring it is stamped with a K but I can't read it and have to get the magnifier out. The dolphin not sure if there is any value or not. Other finds that did not make it home sunglasses, watch parts. I am sure low tide would have been amazing.

The main reason for the trip was a family vacation with my wife. The detecting was a big bonus. No clue when we will be going back there.

Other info. I found it expensive being there $15 for a hamburger. Average meal for two was $45-50. Drivers are nuts, I have no desire to drive there. Paradise Island is very touristy. Miles of packed beaches typical folks selling stuff all over. Cruise ships come in daily. We found a website listing ships on a given day and dock load (number of people). Light day was 5000 largest day while we were there was 22,000 people

Hope this helps others headed down there. Just please be mindful

Claytargethntr

Attachments

• image-2076505207.jpg
    image-2076505207.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 188
  • image-1177685498.jpg
    image-1177685498.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 194
  • image-4266739344.jpg
    image-4266739344.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 200
  • image-4115515008.jpg
    image-4115515008.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great report and excellent finds, I always like to hear about beach experiences from overseas

HH
-GC

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the report.

goldringseaker

Mar 15, 2012
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nice haul, looks like you had a good time

wouldtick

Feb 3, 2013
I am planning a trip to mexico this fall. Might have to change my plans and hit the bahamas again. This time with a.detector. great read.

OP
OP
C

claytargethntr

Sep 20, 2009
All and all it was a good trip. The detecting was fun. With work and life my detecting seems to be in fits and starts. If we go back to the Bahamas for vacation I think we will go to another island with fewer people

Claytargethntr

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the info.Info like that makes it more comfortable for the next guy to go.Heck we all want to go and plunder some distant tourist beaches Thanks again

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time try some of the small outer islands. I have been to some where the signs say "all our beaches are public"!! Also got lobster dinner with three side dishes for twenty bucks, and other good dinners for sixteen. Nassau is one large tourist trap and they charge way too much for everything there. People on the outer islands are more friendly too it seemed. One of the "top ten beaches in the world" is the beach at Treasure Cay. It is expensive to stay right at Treasure Cay, but you can live much cheaper ten miles away and still go there. There are many many outer islands and they all have their own charm and many have good beaches to hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread