Excalibur II 1000 discrimination tones for gold

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can easily tell copper clad zinc pennies (zinc' os), which are numerous on our beaches, by their tone on the Excalibur II 1000 - the raspy tone sounds as if you are hearing penny, whereas older copper coins (pure copper) are cleaner and higher pitched..

Also, It is also easy to tell small gold rings as it has a surprisingly deep clean low tone.

I have difficulty in distinguishing middle size men's rings (14 K, around 15 gram) as they sound too close to pull tabs (especially if they have been broken). As I have the stock 10" coil, I usually hunt in auto sensitivity, discriminator 1, at the highest volume level I can stand (Muffle sound with ear flaps, sponge in head set).

I don't know about the larger gold rings as I have not found any?

Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your setting are ok. 15 Gr. rings are not found much, mostly under 8 grs. not many rind are 15 gr. other than class rings.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can easily tell copper clad zinc pennies (zinc' os), which are numerous on our beaches, by their tone on the Excalibur II 1000 - the raspy tone sounds as if you are hearing penny, whereas older copper coins (pure copper) are cleaner and higher pitched..

Also, It is also easy to tell small gold rings as it has a surprisingly deep clean low tone.

I have difficulty in distinguishing middle size men's rings (14 K, around 15 gram) as they sound too close to pull tabs (especially if they have been broken). As I have the stock 10" coil, I usually hunt in auto sensitivity, discriminator 1, at the highest volume level I can stand (Muffle sound with ear flaps, sponge in head set).

Discrimination tones for gold are many tones, because structure and design are only responsible of tones.
I have using BBS for 20 months ago, when i found any gold target, i test it in same time.:laughing7:

But there is another tones, when the target is near or under target.
That what's you must dig any tone.
One hunter found gold ring 18k 19,3g, but his tone is very different 15,5g.
Thank you for reading and happy hunting.
Regards Hamid

Attachments

• 18201_4867921088274_395717218_n.jpg
    18201_4867921088274_395717218_n.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 274
  • Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english.svg.png
    Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english.svg.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,211
Last edited:

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Although I don't have enough experience yet with the Excal II to verify this but I honestly think it totally depends on depth, position in the sand, and make up of the ring itself. (That is what Hamid was trying to say I believe). My first gold with the Excal I remember guessing to myself that it was a quarter.... turned out to be 9k about 15 grams... I was quite surprised and happy it wasn't a quarter. Last night was the first time I had the low clean growl everyone talks about with the Excal when it sniffs gold... I hunt in Pinpoint and switch to Disc if I think it is worth additional information.... in pinpoint I had an almost double beep like a nail or bobbie pin.... it didn't sound round.. when switching to disc I heard the low tone and dug....turned out to be a gold grill (posted about today) so the difference between 16k grill and 9k ring was huge in tones.

Cliff

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Hamid and cdv1 are correct, so many varations along with the depth issue none will sound the same. You can hit on a deep gold and it sounds like crap, but once out of the hole she sounds sweet.....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
cvd1
I hunt in Pinpoint and switch to Disc if I think it is worth additional information.... in pinpoint I had an almost double beep like a nail or bobbie pin
Good tip, No wonder I have dug no grills

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to thank all you for taking the time to review my comments and your valuable replies.

Though fuzzy, my vision on how to effectively use the multi tonal response of Excalibur and Sovereign multi frequency detectors is clearer. I earlier understude that there is a considerable variation in each detector because of component tolerances of analog parts and aging - some detectors being hot (more sensitive / detect deeper) others are not.

I now realize that the tone of gold, which is the focus of this thread, varies over a wide range as it is dependent upon five or more variables: alloy content, shape, size, depth, and angle of target (flat to on edge).

These tone(s) are most likely affected by the ground matrix itself (under/ near the coil) such as mineralization, hot rocks, other ferrous and non ferrous objects, sharp edges of dug hole.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mid tones, dig them all! I've found flat gold crosses that sound just like thin foil scrap, gold rings that sound like small but deep lead sinkers, a big platinum ring that I swore was going to be a square pull tab, etc. Size, shape, mass, position, it all comes into play. Old gold, it can crust up over time, had them tone just like a deep crusted up zinc penny, right at that low end of the high tone range. Another thing to keep in mind is the width of the tone, deep faint, very small responses can often sound much different to the ear. When in PP I check all faints in disc, if it nulls or I get no response I almost always make a full scoop so I can put the coil right over the target, if it still nulls I usually move on, but sometimes I'll start getting a tone and so I dig the target. I don't trust anything that isn't crisp and clear and repeatable. If I have any doubts at all I go after it.

Hag730

Apr 29, 2012
Saint Marys Georgia
Detector(s) used
Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using my excal for a month now and am still learning it. If its a repeatable signal, I always dig it. i do have a question to add though. I always read on here that you should hunt in PP and use disc to confirm. I did a little testing this weekend with a 3 gram 14k wedding band. I dug a hole about a foot deep, then with my hand, dug sidways under the undisturbed wet sand. I didnt have a ruler, but I'll estimate the ring was around 12 inches or so beneath the surface. I had my disc at 1, sens at 8 (highest I could get it and still hold a steady threshold) and volume was around the 3 oclock position. I could not here a tone in PP.....switched to disc and got a nice faint repeatable signal. This is contrary to what Ive been reading on here.....any thoughts? I have had faint signals in PP that I couldnt here in disc on a different beach???? Im not too worried about it, I use both PP and Disc......just wondering if im nuts.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A) did you have to reduce the sense in PP to achieve stability?
B) where was your threshold set at? Sometimes in PP really deep targets will only offer you a threshold shift, or just a tic, and not always a noticeable tone. This is why a lot of hunters swap out the stock headphones, so they can hear those really faint responses. This is also why they set the threshold so they can just barely hear it, self included, so it won't drown out those really faint, less obvious responses. As OBN says, "turn the threshold on until you can just hear it, then dial it back until you can just barely hear it."

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it one step further and set the threshold from where you just barely can hear it, till where you no longer here it. This way you do not have to bother constantly having to reset the tone with your scoop after it nulls. It will be even easier to hear faint tones when you sweep over non ferrous targets as the treshold is lower.

Further, you are less likely to miss non ferrous targets if you are searching a small area with a grid pattern first detecting parallel to the water, following up with a grid pattern perpendicular to the water over this same area. This is much easier on the nerves and more effective in finding valuable targets in a known productive area.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'
ve been using my excal for a month now and am still learning it. If its a repeatable signal, I always dig it. i do have a question to add though. I always read on here that you should hunt in PP and use disc to confirm. I did a little testing this weekend with a 3 gram 14k wedding band. I dug a hole about a foot deep, then with my hand, dug sidways under the undisturbed wet sand. I didnt have a ruler, but I'll estimate the ring was around 12 inches or so beneath the surface. I had my disc at 1, sens at 8 (highest I could get it and still hold a steady threshold) and volume was around the 3 oclock position. I could not here a tone in PP.....switched to disc and got a nice faint repeatable signal. This is contrary to what Ive been reading on here.....any thoughts? I have had faint signals in PP that I couldnt here in disc on a different beach
huh.gif
? Im not too worried about it, I use both PP and Disc......just wondering if im nuts.
Different Location, Different results. 2009 OCMD I was killing the deep stuff in PP with Doc's treasure Amp and no one else had a clue why I was doing so well, SO I figured Florida here I come....First trip to florida..nothing, Amp helped..maybe two inchs at most. So location, location, location.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I now realize that the tone of gold, which is the focus of this thread, varies over a wide range as it is dependent upon five or more variables: alloy content, shape, size, depth, and angle of target (flat to on edge).

These tone(s) are most likely affected by the ground matrix itself (under/ near the coil) such as mineralization, hot rocks, other ferrous and non ferrous objects, sharp edges of dug hole.

Very Good SGC, only thing I see missing is the water/air temp. Seen this affect hunting conditions also.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When hunting in PP coil control is much like a PI you get HIs and LOs in the threshold and can loose a weak target if you are sweeping to quickly and your threshold is to low. 15g is a huge ring more in the penny range than the mid gold range. Other factors for what you hear can be headphones, coil size, and EMI. I recheck a lot of targets especially raises in threshold in PP. Time consuming, but worth it and in disc if it chirps at all its worth investigation especially if you are running on the edge with high sensitivity.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dew is dead on, coil control is critical in PP, especially at the higher sensitivity settings. Any wavering of the coil can cause a threshold reaction, especially over the wet sand or in the water.

OP
OP
S

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When manually tuning, the sensitivity needs to be adjusted depending on the depth that the search coil is underwater since the search coil radiates out of the top of the coil as well as the bottom. as a result of the coil being loaded by the return it sees from the water above it. From what I have been able to determine it affects the newer Excalibur IIs which have more shielding than the older Excals.

Temperature is not much of a concern in the tropics as there is little change.
However, I usually leave my metal detector on all the time I am hunting, to be sure circuit temperatures are stable.

Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) also needs to be considered. Most sources you can compensate for other sources not:
If generated by lightening - shut down and get off beach.

Resorts - move away, till EMI disappears. It is mosly encountered near automatic opening doors, near the office, or security devices.

Other detectorists - move away, should not interfere at greater than 20ft of each other.

Your self - If you use a PI pinpointer and a VLF search coil do not point at each other as they can generate generate false signals in each other.

Last edited:

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always tell everyone who ask hunting by ear is better than hunting by the Meter.
Keep practicing and it will get better.

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When hunting in PP coil control is much like a PI you get HIs and LOs in the threshold and can loose a weak target if you are sweeping to quickly and your threshold is to low. 15g is a huge ring more in the penny range than the mid gold range. Other factors for what you hear can be headphones, coil size, and EMI. I recheck a lot of targets especially raises in threshold in PP. Time consuming, but worth it and in disc if it chirps at all its worth investigation especially if you are running on the edge with high sensitivity.

Dew

Dew is spot on with this comment.... one of the places I hunt, there are quite a few small stud earrings.....If I'm not hearing the occasional stud earring, I know my sweep speed is to fast.... try it out in the yard, take a really small stud earring and put it down on the ground and try your settings on it.... IF you aren't hearing it, you will probably miss the deeper whisper targets.... it is normally just a small variation (wavering) in the threshold or as I like to say to myself when I'm out..... " there was a disruption in the force" (Star Wars).... quite the same in PP as using a PI. Funny thing is as slow as I think I am working, I seem to get more studs later in the hunt as I get tired and slow down!

Time to go out and find some stuff.....
HH
Cliff

dadori

Tenderfoot
Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'Different Location, Different results. 2009 OCMD I was killing the deep stuff in PP with Doc's treasure Amp and no one else had a clue why I was doing so well, SO I figured Florida here I come....First trip to florida..nothing, Amp helped..maybe two inchs at most. So location, location, location.
I agree location is important but for a newbie in md how can he recognize which detector would be the best option based on his location, for example the Croatian side of adriatic sea for shallow saltwater underwater hunting, i just dont know which md to buy for my location. Sea here is very salty and sea bed is very light sand mixed with small pebbles of all different colors.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread