Beach clad

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it is! :)
You may have to hand scrub them if they are really crusted up so they are recognizable.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question as it applies to all clad coins, including the copper clad penny.

As the found coin is legal tender, you should be able to get face value. I don't know if the US Government will back it's currency(s) and redeem worn/unsightly coins if turned in. If so, please tell me where as I have a bucket of zincos, aka stinken Lincolns (copper clad pennies) for them.

Even though the coins are legal tender, it has been my experience that many employees will not take them as payment at the cash register, even after cleaning.
Many treasure hunters feed their cleaned coins into a Coin Star Machine. Sometimes without cost if at a grocery store which will give them a credit to purchase groceries, some will credit your credit card.

Most likely, the Coin Star machine will deduct their cut, around a 10% processing fee. If you are willing to pay this high of a fee (what a rip off), you should do it periodically as it takes a lot of time to feed this no fun armless bandit.

OP
OP
B

Bottle Cap

Dec 26, 2012
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, some of them are so bad that you cant tell the dates and they are clean. I guess i will try and put them through the coin star.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the coins are clean and the demonization can be determined they are legal tender and should be accepted. They are a fiat currency, whose value is based on faith in the country which issued them and not on their condition. By law they are legal tender and have to be accepted in exchange for items purchased.

In the case of the copper clad zinc penny, it may not even be worth the effort to clean them as they corrode badly, and are of little value. Take care with the ones you find - they are a health hazard to young children who may swallow one the edges can be sharp/jagged.

sandnut

Nov 17, 2010
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II uMax , Tesoro Silver uMax, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I never clean coins just drop in coinstar and go.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the crusty ones I find won't go through a CoinStar! I just tumble them and spend them wherever I can. Some of the Zincolns missing sections won't fly anywhere. The real bad ones like that are donated to charity. They have a bank that will accept them and give them full credit. What the bank does with them after that? Who knows? Maybe they can get them redeemed for new ones at the mint like what they do with paper money?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions