Questions about the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
I just bought a SH Mk 2. It came with the stock 8" coil and I'm wondering just how much more depth would I get with the 10x14 coil. I've heard it going from 12" max with the standard coil to as much as 15" with the bigger coil searching in the same spot. If true, I'll go right ahead and buy one. Mostly I'll be searching big, open, high-iron areas and secluded salt beach areas with lots of black sand. Any help or advice will be well-appreciated, even if you are guessing..

Also, are the Garrett land headphones decent, and with volume control, and do they fit too tight?

Thanks,:icon_thumleft:

Larry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All a 10 by 14 coil is good for is ground cover. The 8 inch will go deeper, just go slow and over lap your coil ,and listen for the fain signal. Buy you a good scoop.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Ron. I see you use one...:icon_thumleft:

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get ready to build a bicep that will rival superman, especially in high iron areas. I use mine in the water and still end up digging 3 deep scoops when chasing targets. They are a good machine though. Have fun and good luck.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It goes way deeper than 12". Some days I wish it would only go to 12". Nothing quite like basking in the sun during the summer as you empty scoop after scoop on the sand next to your target hole only to recover a bobby pin.

OP
OP
LuckyLarry

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I better start 'raslin' bears to build up my right arm? Or maybe I should try to beat my 5'0 120 lb girlfriend at arm wrestling..... finally..

I can deal with the digging and the weight, mostly because I prefer a hip mount, but there is another uncharted world down there twice as deep, as far as I can tell... These vlf's and multi's only get 7-8" max in this nasty soil. I'm ready for the beast.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and advice.

Larry

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Maybe I better start 'raslin' bears to build up my right arm? Or maybe I should try to beat my 5'0 120 lb girlfriend at arm wrestling..... finally..

I can deal with the digging and the weight, mostly because I prefer a hip mount, but there is another uncharted world down there twice as deep, as far as I can tell... These vlf's and multi's only get 7-8" max in this nasty soil. I'm ready for the beast.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help and advice.

Larry

Well, you will get a shoulder work-out. It is like swinging a cinder block. I like to switch over to my non-dominant hand (left) for a good workout.

Can Slaw

Nov 20, 2007
So Gulf Coast, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur, CZ-21 Sov. GT, Sea Hunter MK II, CZ-6a, Troy X5, MXT, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Larry, I use a SH but use the 14 inch coil mainly for ground coverage. The beaches in FL are wide open and heavily hunted. Most of our finds in this area are fresh drops and not deep. However i think my 14 is as deep as my 8 inch if not a little deeper, but the ground coverage is almost twice as much making that coil perfect from my hunting conditions.

diverjon123

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a GSH mark 2 and was wondering if I could use this control unit with a 8x48 towable sled that jw fisher sells for the pulse 8x. With this be compatible? Thanks

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DJ: I would call JW Fisher for the answer.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread