Stuff For Brains

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I need to vent ...We had a family outing at the beach today (Florida) . The beach was packed with hundreds of people since the weather was perfect. I glance up and see a guy metal detecting (with an expensive unit) between the sunbathers with a full size shovel . ( now keep in mind that this is not some isolated beach ) I went up to him and asked him why the shovel ? Tried to explain a sand scoop does not leave the visual impression of someone tearing up beaches like the sight of someone with a full size shovel would . He looks at me with a blank stare and tells me he covers his holes whenever he goes to the PARK (park ???) or PUBLIC BEACH with his shovel . Tried again to explain that even if he does cover his holes there is the danger of MD'ers getting the blame for a hole that maybe some kids left uncovered resulting in someone complaining that detecting is to blame and ban detecting period.. another blank look . Bottom line folks try to keep a low profile when detecting and try to leave a good impression for the sake of the hobby . That guy had stuff for brains..​

Upvote 0

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weaving in and out and right up against the sunbathers is also very bad in my opinion!!!!! to be very honest with you i would like to see detecting bans between 11am and 6pm!!!! i dont know what kind of reaction that will get from my fellow md'rs but out of sight, out of mind might even lead to more quality finds, any of you who observe bathers reactions to you when they see you will understand why!
very good job trying to set that guy straight.

chuck.

general

Sep 9, 2004
Parrish fl
Detector(s) used
White's XLT,Tesoro tiger shark, excal 2, CZ21
Right on Herb! An adult digging with a full size shovel could give other adults or kids the impression that its Ok to dig large holes which might not be filled in. Seeker, I don't want anymore restrictions on detecting. If some hunters are disrespectful, they should be asked to leave.

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
weaving in and out and right up against the sunbathers is also very bad in my opinion!!!!! to be very honest with you i would like to see detecting bans between 11am and 6pm!!!! i dont know what kind of reaction that will get from my fellow md'rs but out of sight, out of mind might even lead to more quality finds, any of you who observe bathers reactions to you when they see you will understand why!

chuck.

I think a ban is a BAD idea. Start banning in part and it leads to banning as a whole!!! Common sense alone would do!! All a MDer needs to do is have some common sense and respect for others' opportunity to enjoy the beach. Kudos to you Herb for standing up for what is right; I am sure that wasn't easy.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chuck.
You must live close to the beach.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What color was his shovel Herb: Baby blue, pink?

If it was red and he was carrying a red climbing rope it was most likely the partner of a detectorist, Magnum PI, who recently disappeared while treasure hunting with his Pulse Induction machine.

Rumor is the beach was heavily sanded in, and the deep hole he dug while trying to recover a hair pin collasped on him.
As he never returned his faith is still unknown!

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chuck.
A band or detecting ,NO . Here in S.W. FL if you don't get to the beach before 10 am you don't get on the beach. No more parking. If you want a band ,make it from Sun down to sun up . This is the most dangerous time. This is the time when most People hunt places where they should be. These are the people that are making it bad for everyone else. You know the one , they hunt state and Fed. Park in and out of the water. They hunt battle fields and Private land. All in the cover of Night . I thing if caught they should be find $100's or $1000's of dollars.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can drive/park on my area beaches and I see a lot of close encounters throughout the year. MDer's weaving in and out of the row of parked vehicles and sunbathers. Imagine laying on your beach towel and suddenly looking up to see some sweaty guy equipped like a space invader standing over you slinging his machine in every direction.

Kids, this is where it will most likely happen, one of them perhaps rushing up behind an MDer just as he's flopping his heavy scoop off his shoulder and, "BANG!"

And attitudes, seems a lot of people have them these days, just a matter of time before two opposing attitudes meet headfirst on the beach, at least one of them intoxicated beyond intoxicated.

Bad things are going to happen whenever you crowd too many people into one area, and when more and more of those people are carrying a machine then it's just a matter of time. Common sense and a low profile will go a long way towards prevention, but.........

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can drive/park on my area beaches and I see a lot of close encounters throughout the year. MDer's weaving in and out of the row of parked vehicles and sunbathers. Imagine laying on your beach towel and suddenly looking up to see some sweaty guy equipped like a space invader standing over you slinging his machine in every direction.

Kids, this is where it will most likely happen, one of them perhaps rushing up behind an MDer just as he's flopping his heavy scoop off his shoulder and, "BANG!"

And attitudes, seems a lot of people have them these days, just a matter of time before two opposing attitudes meet headfirst on the beach, at least one of them intoxicated beyond intoxicated.

Bad things are going to happen whenever you crowd too many people into one area, and when more and more of those people are carrying a machine then it's just a matter of time. Common sense and a low profile will go a long way towards prevention, but.........
This is why I like hunting in the Water !!

recoiljunky

Jun 10, 2007
Dothan, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Excal II
Sorry Herb, but after I told you I filled in my own holes and after you persisted, I would have told you to mind your own business and F off. You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Perhaps you should have given him your sand scoop if it was that big a deal to you.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why I like hunting in the Water !!

Yep, but in the summer it's nearly impossible to find some open space here as the surf sort of confines/limits everyone to that area of beach from the first sand bar in. This is where it can get really dangerous as those waves pound everyone with somewhat uncontrolled reckless abandon. Getting out there in the middle of all of that with a scoop and a machine.....you can't turn your back on anything, especially the kids who seem to always appear out of nowhere, and yet it's most often too rough to go out any further. When it's busy like that I always try to find a different section of beach that isn't so populated but then I look up and surf fishermen inevitably always show up casting their lines all around me. Night time is the best but this is also the shark bite capital of the world so that is always a somewhat discouraging factor when hunting at night. Sometimes you just have to weigh it all out and stay home rather then risk an incident that could really have a negative impact on your future hunting opportunities. "If" I can get in and hunt without too much traffic and risk I'll go, and if not then I'll pass on the notion. Don't like it but I just feel it's the better choice for everyone. :dontknow:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No bans! Be polite as it is ones own opinion being expressed to someone you feel is doing something wrong, speak your concern to them and then let it go. Controlling others is impossible to do IF they choose to do what they want to anyway. I agree I do not like the possibilities you describe, a beach Full of people and some guy with a full fledged shovel detecting all around people, that is just asking for trouble. In the long run it is up to each of us to do the right thing, IMHO...............63bkpkr

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I hunt on the beach when there are people. I keep a distance of like 15 feet away from blankets . No one seems to mind. A lot of them like watching you. Whenever I find anything, a penny, a ring or just trash, I always conceal it and put it in my pouch like I just found the hope diamond.

OP
OP
herb n surf

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Sorry Herb, but after I told you I filled in my own holes and after you persisted, I would have told you to mind your own business and F off. You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time. Perhaps you should have given him your sand scoop if it was that big a deal to you.
I seriously doubt you would

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pressure to restrict our access, and take away public use of beaches by gated communities, resorts and special interest groups is relentless. Especially as the ownership of distressed resort(s) shifts to foreign individuals/multinational corporations. Coupled by the rich buying multimillion dollar homes at less than 3% interest from banks subsidized by tax payers money, which was supposed to help those in need from losing their homes.

I have voiced this response to our political representatives as well as the mortgage holder who called with the joyous news of my egibility for a short sale, considering this akin to helping a carpet bagger hold his bag open so that he could more efficiently loot.
I also questioned why, communications to the mortgage holder(s) / banks was limited to telephone, fax, on site meetings and that they refused to communicate through email which is not only more efficient, and faster, it is self documenting.

Sadly, it will take more than just fill in our holes and return an occasional ring to prevent further loss. It will take a concerted effort by all: {sunbathers, surfers, fishermen/women, pet owners, detectorists, etcetera, etcetera}. In short anyone, including former home owners who enjoy the beaches and are not of the privileged few.

Even though common sense is now uncommon and putting it mildly respect for other's is lacking.
This certainly is not the time to help those who will take our rights away by proposing bans ourselves.

NO BANS!!!!!:exclamation:
:flag_red:

Last edited:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, but in the summer it's nearly impossible to find some open space here as the surf sort of confines/limits everyone to that area of beach from the first sand bar in. This is where it can get really dangerous as those waves pound everyone with somewhat uncontrolled reckless abandon. Getting out there in the middle of all of that with a scoop and a machine.....you can't turn your back on anything, especially the kids who seem to always appear out of nowhere, and yet it's most often too rough to go out any further. When it's busy like that I always try to find a different section of beach that isn't so populated but then I look up and surf fishermen inevitably always show up casting their lines all around me. Night time is the best but this is also the shark bite capital of the world so that is always a somewhat discouraging factor when hunting at night. Sometimes you just have to weigh it all out and stay home rather then risk an incident that could really have a negative impact on your future hunting opportunities. "If" I can get in and hunt without too much traffic and risk I'll go, and if not then I'll pass on the notion. Don't like it but I just feel it's the better choice for everyone. :dontknow:
You know I have no problem with that, Most people stay 10 to 15 feet away from me , I think it have some thing to do with the shirt I wear. It said keep back may cause electric shock. People ask why I don't get shocked and I tell them that I wear rubber boots and the people are ok to that. Some are smart enough to know I am standing in the water but most are not. HH Ron Lord

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Bikes!".....the beach is 200 feet wide and it seems I often have speeding morning bikers passing me so close that it sounds my detector, and this is in the morning when the beach isn't even crowded yet. What's up with that? :laughing7: If I'd happen to be making my turnaround at the exact moment they're passing there's going to be an unavoidable crash. I just don't get why they want to pass so closely? I mean, it's not like they didn't see me long before they ever got to me. :dontknow:

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A well placed scoop will teach those bikers a life lesson. :D

OP
OP
herb n surf

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
A well placed scoop will teach those bikers a life lesson. :D
Welcome back Dew . Hope you have a great year ahead.. Take care..

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Bikes!".....the beach is 200 feet wide and it seems I often have speeding morning bikers passing me so close that it sounds my detector, and this is in the morning when the beach isn't even crowded yet. What's up with that? :laughing7: If I'd happen to be making my turnaround at the exact moment they're passing there's going to be an unavoidable crash. I just don't get why they want to pass so closely? I mean, it's not like they didn't see me long before they ever got to me. :dontknow:
How about when your working a straight line in the water and the person looks right at you and keeps cutting across until you have to stop to keep from running into them...or your digging a target and the current moves them right on top of you and they look at you like you got on them...but most of the time people are nice and curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread