Feb 11, 2012
Dirty Jerzee
Detector(s) used
ML Excal II
ML Sov GT
Compass 77B
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This is just getting plain silly to be honest...
I knew that 24 hour blower three days ago did alot of damage to the high tide line and berm and it is clearly showing now in finds..

Hit two stretches near me today and even I can't believe that I topped yesterdays clad totals.. Once again a large amount of deep quarters and nickels, but like the norm lately, NO jewelry whatsoever..
I'm starting to finally enjoy just finding a ton of keepers and today was just wonderful out as the wind was blowing from the West/NW and had the ocean looking like a lake...

None of the finds were down by the water at all..I have learned from the past few days as to where to look on each stretch of beach for the coin deposits..

Like OBN commented in my earlier thread it seems that Sandy pushed alot of coins into ridges and bumps that are now finally being exposed as debris and beach grass gets washed away ..
I wish it pushed some jewelry my way, but I guess for the time being I will have to be satisfied with an all day digfest..

Another amazing day by the water filled witha great workout and a ton of keepers..

I was also amazed that I didn't see a single other hunter all day, which surprises me being a Saturday and such a wonderful afternoon..

TOTALS For The Day:

$6.80 In Clad...Some greenies and copper cents

1- 1958-D Wheatie

1- Older Copper Dog Tag Marked:

RAGS Bridge HDWE. Co. G & Tioga St.
The back I can barely make out the words Police and some Registration numbers..
I'm thinking it may have came off a Police, K-9 or Guard dog possibly, but I found it in the most unusual place..

Small amount of trash for the pile...It seems that big high tide washed alot of light stuff away leaving deeper large iron (nulled/spli) and coins..

I've already got my next stretch picked out to hunt :D

Good Luck & Happy Hunting !!

3-2-13Hunt.jpg

3-2-131.jpg

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The presence of all those coins should tell you quite a bit, they are flat and light and easily distributed. Gold & silver rings, chains, bracelets, crosses, etc., they are more dense and have less surface area which makes them harder to move. On my area beaches a couple of days of strong east winds will bring a lot of coins onto the beach but little quality jewelry, the better stuff will still be further out or settled into the depressions with all the fishing weights, chunks of steel, ect. It's a tradeoff, a lot of coins for "very few" targets by comparison, the hunting will generally be much slower but the odds of finding gold will generally be much higher. :thumbsup:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good observation. I was out couple of days ago with the surf pushing in..... we got nuffen except an occasional coin or pull tab at the water edge. Until it starts cutting some of the sand we wont know what it may have pushed in. But you do have to remember items being found are collated items..... so i think heavier items are being pushed in.... like gold and lead weights. They just get collated to the bottom of this pushed in sand or at least to their equal density during the strong bottom currant. Those lighter or surface targets tell me somethings is moving. We are also getting some HIGH tides with the waves really going up on the beach which moves a lot of junk and surface targets as well.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Example: My hunting partner and I were on a beach a few times last week and we had been finding the usual slaw, pull tabs, coins, etc., mostly the typical lighter objects. One day he finds an area where he starts plucking fishing weight after fishing weight and when he left that area he had a man's plat with a diamond, a man's 14k, and a nice silver ring, all from one relatively small area. I run into this type thing a lot, hunt for hours with few targets or only lighter targets and then suddenly run into an area that starts turning up the heavier items like weights, iron, and goodies! Nine times out of ten the bottom will be much firmer/denser in these areas, packed shell, clay, ect. After Sandy there were coins and lighter objects all over the beach, reds, greens, black, but very little jewelry and the stiff currents and rough surf were still preventing me from getting into the depressions, but once I was able to get in them it was pretty productive, a lot of heavier items and a fair amount of goodies.

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep hitting it hard Poppa !!
Them silver KINGS are close!
Get them before the invaders do!!!

Don't rule out that Emperor of France!
You need a few more of his coins to round out your
collection!

No retreat No surrender get back out there.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This kind thread is what makes this forum so great.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
njal
Keep hitting it hard Poppa !!

No retreat No surrender get back out there.​
:icon_thumright:

The 'Sea Sirens' are calling......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're finding that many coins on the upper beach that have obviously been in the water for a while then that heavier gold is accessible someplace. When that much sand gets moved there has to be some exposed hard pack somewhere close by. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread