My new hopped up Excal II

rbdigger

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I am new to the Excal, but even in the short amount of time I have had my Excal II I have learned to love and hate it. Love all its capabilities, but hated the stock headphones and the fact that to go from PP to Discrimination mode you had to keep turning a knob that was not easy to get to. So, with the help of OBN I did the headphone mod and the remote PP button mod. Wow. Let me tell you. My Excal is now one mean hunting machine. The remote PP button makes hunting so much more efficient.

I have an Anderson CF shaft on my Excal and the button I chose to use fit perfectly in the top of the handle. The button is waterproof and how I did the mod should be completely waterproof all the way around.

I set the button in the handle by embedding it in gel coat resin which is 100% waterproof and should protect the backside of the button from water shorting.

Where the wire goes through the endcap, I just drilled the smallest hole possible for the wire to go through and sealed the inside of the cap with gel coat resin. On the outside I replaced the factory heat shrink cover with new heat shrink and left a "cup" of extra material which I filled with Marine GOOP. I do not believe there is any way water is going to get through my wire pass through area.

Took it for a test run at the beach this morning for a 2 hour hunt and it worked flawlessly. I found more good targets then I ever did before due to increased efficiency in hunting with the remote PP button.

Thanks again to OBN for all the help and the videos for both the headphones and the remote PP button. Could not have done it without his help.

Excal PP button handle wire exit.jpg Excal PP button side view.jpg Excal PP button wire wrap.jpg excal PP button.jpg Excal back pod PP button wire entry shrink and seal.jpg

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Job Rb, looks better then mine........:icon_thumright:........

Question, tell me more about the gel coat resin....

grizj

May 22, 2011
maryland
Detector(s) used
Waterproof unit
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like a winner,I use a w/p toggle where did u get your switch:icon_thumleft:

bear2442

Greenie
Oct 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
treasure baron
whites treasure master pi
underwater discriminator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all excaliburII should be like yours, where did you get the guard for the knobs.

OP
OP
R

rbdigger

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gel coat resin is a lot like epoxy, just a bit harder to work with. Unlike Epoxy, which is not 100% waterproof, gel coat is. However, unless you dive for hours on end I doubt anyone would have any trouble with water intrusion due to using epoxy. I used gel coat resin because I had some from a boat repair I recently did and thought I would give it a try. I cures kind of like epoxy except they call the hardener a catalyst.

Here is what I used.

TAP Gel Coat is a high performance Isophtalic resin with excellent handling characteristics, superior UV resistance, and reduced emission. TAP Gel Coat is available in white or neutral. Add TAP Pigment to the neutral for vivid color. Use the Resin Spray Cup Gun for spray application. Gel Coat cures with the addition of MEKP Catalyst.

Great Job Rb, looks better then mine........:icon_thumright:........

Question, tell me more about the gel coat resin....

OP
OP
R

rbdigger

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a winner,I use a w/p toggle where did u get your switch:icon_thumleft:

I got my switch from Digi-Key. Not sure of the part number at the moment, but I will look it up.

OP
OP
R

rbdigger

Greenie
Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all excaliburII should be like yours, where did you get the guard for the knobs.

The knob guard is from Anderson. Same people who make the CF shaft.

Cheers. RBD

njal

May 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a nice job,looks very professional.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks RBd, Sounds similar to what I used years ago in the Body Shop, Bondo Fiber Glass resin. I remember during the summer you would have to cut back on the hardner, winter more...and sometimes it would take a couple days to where you could work with it...

SGC just sent me some great info on his experences with RTV encapsulating potting Silicon.

All kewl stuff and good 4 future projects...Thanks Guys....And keep up the good work....:icon_thumright:

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great looking customization. OBN will always show you some of the best ways to customize your water detectors.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At some point I plan to install the remote switch but probably not until I come up with a quality/reliable coil connector setup so I can swap coils. Nice looking setup. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread