florida land and see

mikeybgoode

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
first I know I'm not the first to ask but I'm missing it or having trouble dining a post Im looking for but hers the ?? never asked( sarcasm)
I'm new and wanting to spend about $450 total- scoop and pinpoint I would like to do a all around good md I plan on doing more beach but still a lot of parks too. it would be nice to be able to get wet- like ankle deep or so. also I'm hoping on md in the Caribbean as well.

so is this possible? am I asking to much?
thanks
oh btw yup spell check gave me see hmm can't seem to edit

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im afraid you are just dealing with different animals when you talk salt water hunting and parks on a budget. A PI would be the closest to your budget.... but digging everything isnt the most effective way to hunt dry sand and parks. You really need the right tool for the job. Id suggest a used Sov as your best bet.... however, if you dont want to hunt on the wet sand or in the water a single freq machine would do both the park and dry sand. The price range is still about $650 for a used Sov. without a scoop.

Dew

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sov can be used in shallow water (do not get controls wet, coil is fine) to dry land, is multi freq and probably the best beach detector made. It will be hard to find good one for $650 but possible. They stop making them in Jan and they hold their value so most prices I see are closer to $750-$800.

I had one that was custom waterproof for going in the water, I sold it, I just heard from buyer this week he is going to sell it..

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the budget position of just "beginning in the hobby" and all the uncertainties that go with it. Having said that, look at the AT-Pro as this is what the machine was designed for, an entry level do-it-all machine. Parks, Beaches, Saltwater, Freshwater, Relics, Backwoods, etc., it can allow you to hunt them all with fair coverage and depth on a budget. New they are about $600, used you're probably looking at $400. Not the best machine but it is one that will allow you hunt fairly efficient most anywhere on a budget.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are able to get a metal detector suitable for salt water, a scoop, and a pin pointer, you should change your sign on name from mikeybgoode to Magic Mike. However, if you are able to spend more, you will find that the demand for multifrequency detectors such as the Sovereign and the Excalibur is high and will sell near retail price, especially if still under warranty.

The Sovereign is more flexible as you can easily change head phones, and search coils. Even though it is out of production, you can still buy it new, but will have great difficulty in buying accessories such as an inline probe or VI meter.

If you will be mostly beach detecting, or if it rains a lot where you live, I would go with the Excalibur as it is water proof. Once you dip your ankle in the water, you will be drawn deeper and deeper - it is just the way it is. If the water is warm and calm you will be kicking yourself.

You will not need a pin pointer for beach detecting, however, it is very handy in parks.
A heavy duty stand up water scoop will be required for shallow water hunting. Again, buy quality as it has high resale value.

There are many fine PI detectors which can be purchased at less cost. I have not included these as you will basically have to dig everything with these till you become skilled as they do not discriminate between ferrous (Iron relics) and non ferrous metals (coins, jewelry, gold, silver, etc).

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS..... that AT is a single freq.... it wont be very EFFECTIVE in wet sand or salt water on Ocean beaches. good machine otherwise. like SGC said the Sov box isnt water proof but it is a multi freq machine that would serve you well. No TID screen.... which on a beach serves no purpose except to keep you from digging targets. Thats a bad idea.... except for shallow bottle caps.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS..... that AT is a single freq.... it wont be very EFFECTIVE in wet sand or salt water on Ocean beaches. good machine otherwise. like SGC said the Sov box isnt water proof but it is a multi freq machine that would serve you well. No TID screen.... which on a beach serves no purpose except to keep you from digging targets. Thats a bad idea.... except for shallow bottle caps.

I know two guys doing very well with the AT over the wet sand and in the shallow water. Just spoke with one of them recently about the machine and they said it isn't as deep as the CZ but performs very well otherwise. I think at some point we have to remember that a lot of these new hunters have "a lot" to learn before they're ever going to get the most out of a higher dollar machine anyway. So little of this hobby is about the actual machine and more to do with keeping yourself in productive areas where targets are accessible. The best machine in the world can't find targets if those targets aren't there or they're too deep to be accessed. At one time I use to use a Discovery 1000 and a Cobra and I found quite a bit with them, learned a lot along the way, found more then enough to upgrade to better machines. Putting a high dollar machine in someone's hands who knows nothing or very little about the hobby can prove just as disheartening and discouraging as placing a lesser machine in the hands of a serious seasoned hunter. I just think it's important to remember that a lot of these new hunters aren't as serious about the hobby, or as experienced in the realities of the hobby, as you and I. Just my opinion. The AT-Pro will let them hunt virtually anywhere and in a variety of conditions without breaking their banks. There's just too much we already take for granted. I know most of the items I have personally found could have been just as easily found with a machine like the AT-Pro. In my opinion, "location, location, location" is the most important part of experiencing consistent success in this hobby.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must not have tried an AT pro in your area...single freq or not, it works well on the West coast and is only two inches shallower than than three other CZs tested against it...not the best choice for saltwater but the OP said he needed a machine to hunt land and water and I think the AT would be a good choice...if he finds that he really likes water hunting, he can upgrade to a CZ or Excal and he will still have a great land machine with the AT...the AT is not your normal single freq. detector.

OP
OP
M

mikeybgoode

Greenie
Mar 12, 2013
thanks for all the advice! I'm on my way home with a at pro! it is used but he sent it in and garrett did a complete over haul. the deal seemed to good about $200 less than ive seen for others used-so I jumped!
I can't wait to hit the beach tomorrow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread