Wetsuit/Drysuit Help

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
minelabs- se pro and excaliber, ace250, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to water detecting and would appreciate some info/help. I live in Wisc so needless to say our water is usually on the cold side for most of the year. I do not scuba nor snorkel but plan on being in water up to my chin. From what I have read, the dry suit should be used in water under 65 degrees and a wet suit should be used above 65 degrees. I plan on being in the water from April-Oct so my question is do I need both suits. Is a one piece better than a 2 piece? Is any brand name way better than the rest?

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Good question for Sandman, he lives up your way...Me, I would go drysuit and dress as needed under. I have hunted in my drysuit when it was Hot, but the water temps were near 70, You will sweatout of the water but once your in....Very Nice... this Graph tells me drysuit....

OBN0041.jpg

Last edited:

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing to keep in mind regarding lake and river hunting in Wisconsin are the very restrictive laws prohibiting metal detecting. I think most lakes and rivers are off limits but you want to check out the laws for yourself

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I USE A 2 -PIECE 7MM - 7MM GLOVES - 7MM BOOTS - WET SUIT
I get tired before I get cold - people always ask me why I have not gotten a dry suit yet
I heard 3 bad stories of guys drowning wearing dry suits cause they got a slice in them and could not make it to shore before they filled up
I just saw a vid on you tube where guy had to cut his hunt short cause he said that his dry suit was leaking
I dont have that problem
- and Im diabetic and have to take a leak alot - so dry suit would not be comfortable
I have no problem turning my wet suit into a wetter suit
but there are plenty of guys that use dry suits with no problems ever - so its what ever you are comfortable with

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
will Pm you and article I did on cold water hunting

OP
OP
I

I C THE LITE

Mar 11, 2013
wisconsin
Detector(s) used
minelabs- se pro and excaliber, ace250, tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your informative replies. I will check into the Wisc laws and I received the PM that you sent Casper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread