How to Snorkel Detect and Recover Targets?

alienbogey

Jun 21, 2007
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a place in mind that I'd like to try snorkeling with my Excalibur.

Wading is problematical because it is difficult to avoid the coral which is not to be walked on, but there are swimmers out there. The water would be knee to chest deep (or as deep or deeper than I could effectively snorkel).

Scuba is not an option, even though I'm qualified, but because there is no way for me to bring the gear. Even a weight belt to enable me to hover can't come along.

So, I would at least like to TRY snorkel detecting the area, but I'm not sure how to manage a scoop in one hand, the detector in the other, and keep myself over and down on the target.

What do folks do? (Assuming anyone even snorkel detects at all?)

It is very light sand, so perhaps just fanning the sand away would work?

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alienbogey:
You answered one of your own questions.
In Hawaii, many treasure hunters, don't even use detectors, they just fan the sand away with their hands or a palm leaf to see what lies on the hard bottom. It works well where there are a lot of swimmers, at high traffic entrance and exit points. Especially on beaches which do not allow metal detecting. But is H on the rotating joints.

I assume you will be visiting Hawaii, as I am not aware of any areas close to Western Washington with Coral.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering the same thing for detecting in the water this summer in Virginia. Is it just better to wade through the water upright and use your sand scoop, or more efficient to snorkel with fins and use a smaller hand scoop when you hit a target?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done this in the fine sand and the use of a weight belt to give you some control over your depth is necessary. I have used a ping pong paddle secured to my wrist so it doesn't float away and just fan the area. Tried a small hand scoop but didn't like that method, but try it yourself. This is much easier if wearing a BC for buoyance control and you have all those pockets. Suggest a good dive knife with line cutter as you can't break mono line underwater. A Spare Air is handy too.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a simple snorkeling belly board you can make that works fantastic. When I was traveling and camping a lot I use to carry it with me wherever I went. You'll have to custom fit the dimensions to suit your size and preferences but they are really easy to make and well worth the time. In fact, I may even start making them again. I used swimming goggles instead of a mask and sometimes I would simply roll off the thing to retrieve a target. You can actually rig them out if you want, mesh bag for your finds, a couple of loops to hold your detector and scoop if you want to dive without them, etc.
snorkel board.jpg (Click on image to enlarge)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I would check out diggingrings also, great hunter....

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc Beav : It is usually easier and more efficient to detect in shallow water from an upright position and retrieve with a stand up water scoop. I only snorkel with fins and use a small hand scoop ( plastic beer stein with 3/8" sifting holes, on clean sand bottoms where I am not able to effectively use a stand up water scoop for retrieval because of coral/ rock ledges. The last thing I want is to have my face in the muck stirred up in retrieving in bays and shallow water lagoon(s) which are heavily swimmed in but have poor water circulation. Simply put - it is beyond nasty.

Frankl

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive found in tropical waters snorkeling is a great way to detect. Less stress, you just float along and fan your targets. If the water is deeper than say three feet I often use my fins to fan the bottom. Of course this only works in nice clear water.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
This is my favorite way to hunt.
It helps to have clear water and not too much
sediment to cloud the fanning.
I have also found other cool non-metal things like
paper money rolling across the bottom. I have a bad back
so the weightless floating and use of the arms instead of the back
helps a lot.
Good luck and happy hunting.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a PM
I been snorkeling/detecting probably longer than most (Ive gotten alot of hunters in to wearing a mask and snorkel over the yrs)
own a hookah and a snuba system too

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a simple snorkeling belly board you can make that works fantastic. When I was traveling and camping a lot I use to carry it with me wherever I went. You'll have to custom fit the dimensions to suit your size and preferences but they are really easy to make and well worth the time. In fact, I may even start making them again. I used swimming goggles instead of a mask and sometimes I would simply roll off the thing to retrieve a target. You can actually rig them out if you want, mesh bag for your finds, a couple of loops to hold your detector and scoop if you want to dive without them, etc.
View attachment 768148 (Click on image to enlarge)

Ingenious man! Never would have thought of that! Gonna try that out! Not sure how well it will work in Va Beach as it isn't that clear in the Bay or the Oceanfront.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ingenious man! Never would have thought of that! Gonna try that out! Not sure how well it will work in Va Beach as it isn't that clear in the Bay or the Oceanfront.

I've also made them with treated plywood, slitting a length of 4" foam noodle pool float and then siliconing it around the board's sides and front. Since they are finsihed plywood you can actually get pretty artistic with them as well.

rehless

Mar 23, 2008
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Dual Field, Surf PI, Tesoro SS, Cibola, Tejon, Troy X2
I live in Western Washington. I dive and snorkel. Find a lot of goodies snorkeling, also easier on the body than diving with the weight belt, tank.
If the water is too deep, you will have hell of a time snorkeling and retrieving your target. Hand fan. Eventually, if you do it long enough, it will
wear out your rotator cuff. Lot of guys wade and drop and fan, but not if you have to stay off the coral. And hard to fan out a deep target
with that method. Good luck.

Frankl

Greenie
Mar 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you are in deeper water floating upright and using your fins can work-moves a lot of sand. Saves needing to get out your SCUBA gear. I have also seen people who have cut down their fins to make it a little easier to fan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread