TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what everyone's opinion on which machine, whether made for the beach or not,
seems to be the most sensitive for small gold items in wet salt water sand.

For example we know the Tesoro Lobo can get those small gold targets but it's useless in wet salt sand as it makes lots of noise, and you can't hear your small targets with this..

Those who have been doing this for years may have a good idea, years ago I used a Tesoro Stingray to deadly affect on salt water beaches but it was heavy and had headphones attached.
I want a light weight machine that travels well and can get those small gold targets.

(we know nothing can get those really small gold chains) But there must be a really good basic
machine that gets small gold on wet salt beaches, better than just saying "use a $1000 Minelab..
All opinions appreciated...
Richard

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting beaches and freshwater swim areas for more years than I can remember. All Pulse MD's are great for saltwater beaches but you tire yourself out with digging many holes for tine pieces of hairpins. Detector for the water are heavier because of the water tightness if you want to dive with them so they don't leak. Among these are the Excal, CZ-21 and older 20, and the Beach Hunter ID since all these operate on MORE than one frequency at a time. The White's coil floats is the only reason I don't like that one. Then you have the Tesoro Tiger Shark and Fisher 1280 which are lower priced. I have used both of these at saltwater beaches but they can be tricky to set up since they are better freshwater detectors. The Tiger Shark is the only detector that I have used that can find those small gold chains that don't have large clasps or pendants. But it can also find birdshot. Then you have the AT PRO which I have not used at a saltwater beach yet. It took me 3 detectors to find one that works like advertised but while some report it works well at saltwater beaches in the wet sand, I have to wonder how much sensitivity you have to dial down to make it work in that environment since it is only a single freq detector. But it is lighter weight than true water detectors which don't have screens as water hunters scoop everything since sand is easy to dig in anyway. Most water detectors can be hip mounted or carried around your neck to reduce weigh and this is what I do with the Excal and CZ-20.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
probe2.jpg

These are pretty small gold chains, and "yes" they can be found in the saltwater on the wet/sand beaches with the Excal 800, just as those shown were, "when the conditions, settings, setup/technique, and circumstances" allow it. Bottom line, if you even suspicion that something has caused a change in the machine threshold or wavering, "investigate" to discover the possible source. Most times it will be nothing much at all, yet every once in a while there just might be something there to surprise you. :icon_thumleft: Note that a couple of the displayed chains have no pendents and very small clasp.

PS: In my experience hunting in saltwater environments with VLF/BBS machines, coil size and sensitivity to small/fine gold objects go hand in hand. It's a tradeoff that simply has to take place, the larger coils progresively introducing more and more mineralization into the process making it progressively harder for the machine to seperate these small/finer items from the progressively increasing interference of the surrounding maytrix.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For small gold......GPX5000 would be my choice.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You statement is a little confusing ...... since you specifically say wet SALT water sand. Not many single freq are going to be very effective on salt water sand. They may have noise issues from the high conductive salt that would negate any benefit to small gold. Most people confuse chains with small gold..... as BS shows multi freq can find those. However.... its the micro gold they miss.... id say under .4 grams.....now how much is .4 grams worth? Its not like you will find them with any consistency. So IMO the multi freq machines that bring home the bacon.

Dew

plymouthian12

Silver Member
Mar 26, 2010
massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
DFX, EXcalibur, Dual Field, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have an excal and a dual field and i like them both i think the conditions dictate more of which ill use if theres a lot of black sand ill opt for the dual field if not ill run the excal it all depends how much effort you want to put in to learn the machine. i find on wet sand i can swing the dual field all day without fatigue . good luck in your seach
kent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread