where do you keep your wallet/keys when water detecting?

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I like to have my wallet on me, but could do without it. But at a minimum I need my car key, which is electronic/alarm type. This makes it difficult to go fully into the water unless my wife or someone is with me to watch my stuff.

I am thinking about getting a waterproof belt pack like this:
Amazon.com: OverBoard Waterproof Pro-Sport Belt Pack, Black: Sports & Outdoors

anyone use something like that? Any recommendations? It says its Class 5 waterproof, which means you should be able to snorkel, and fully submerge with it.

Just curious what the rest of you do with your car key while detecting.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a waterproof pouch for my keys and money, it fits in my finds pouch.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a spare car key that I keep on a stainless clip attached to the inside of a separate zipper pocket on my mesh finds pouch.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just ordered an Otterbox 1000, very small, just enough to hold my car key, bank card and some cash. They had some bigger models, like the 2000 and the Pursuit 20 and 40, but I am just trying to get by with the minimum. I wont even be submerging many times, I am just on a sandbar or whatever, but I had to know it will be waterproof. Otterbox is tested to 100'!

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my keys, wallet, etc by my spare tire and jack.
Magnetic hide a key box at Ace. with a spare key by bumper or fender.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I leave my key and wallet under the seat, and my windows wide open.
If someone breaks into my truck, they have my condolences, as the truck is a POS, and I carry little of value.
Of course I lock the doors as required by my insurance.

I always take my not so friendly Pit Bull, Maximus, along.
He is highly visible as he likes to sit behind the steering wheel and watch.
On long treasure hunts, Maximus likes to lie in stealth mode in the small package area behind the seats .

Bon Appetite!

Last edited:

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a spare key made at the hardware store. It won't have the electronics of the original key so it won't start your car but it will still open the door locks, leave the starting key inside the car.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My truck key is in my Kellyco mesh pouch and my wallet , is in a safe Place, my house. I take driver Lic. and $10 with me.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a spare key made at the hardware store. It won't have the electronics of the original key so it won't start your car but it will still open the door locks, leave the starting key inside the car.
I carry my spare key on a cord around my neck while in the water. The wallet stays in the car under the seat. If I am where a concession stand is located I might carry some change in my goodie/trash pouch. The spare key opens the doors and starts the car too. If you bought one of those "smart" cars for detecting, you goofed.

gold fever pete

Jun 1, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everything is with me. I wear a key around my neck, I have a water proof box that I put my cell phone and wallet. It hangs off of my belt. So far nothing has gotten wet. I wear a wet suit and a fishing vest for my finds. I live in So Cal. and really don't trust anyone while at the beach. HH GFP

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
You can get a copy of electronic key which will open just the door. My wallet & reg keys stay in the trunk. I pin the spare key to the inside of my wet suit ( large safety pin) or my surfer shirt underneath shorty suit. I'm lucky I have ONStar as a back up to unlock the car ( memorized their number ) but have never had to use them yet .

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a cheap walmart fanny pack, draped over my shoulder and under one arm, kinda lika sling.
Inside, I use 3 heavy duty freezer zip-lock baggies (not the BIG ones, the smaller ones), and keep just keys anda few smokes and a lighter, maybe $10 bucks stashed in the cig pack. I leave my key fob and ID's in the car.
I do same thing on the boat, keep important stuffs double and triple zip-locked, just in case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread