Total Newbie going to Outerbanks OBX North Carolina to start my hunt.

turbolwf

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there and i am so excited to start my treasure hunting. So far thanks to this page I found out it is totally leagal to go on the beach anywhere north of RT.12 or the National Park that starts down in South Nags Head. I plan to do my hunting in either Kill Devil Hills or Kitty Hawk. Just about mile post 6 or 7. My question is or does anyone have any advice or a specific spot that I should hit. I was thinking around one of the peirs of something like that. So any advice on that or where can I can get a good sand siifter. I want to go low budget so i was going to hit the pet store for a litter scooper. Thanks for the help and Thanks for welcoming me to this site.

Upvote 0

JJohnson

Mar 14, 2013
Glen Allen, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Explorer, XS, E-Trac, CTX-30/30
Garrett: Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck at the beach...welcome to the site.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your back get a good long handled sand scoop.

OP
OP
T

turbolwf

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your back get a good long handled sand scoop.
Thank you for the advice my only issue is I can't get one local have to get it online and it will not arrive by tomorrow. I am going to have to suffer this first time out.

creeker42

Jan 13, 2008
Connecticut shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
White" M6
Welcome to the forum, and good luck at the beach. I have detected at Nags Head and found 3 silver rings after hunting only 45 minutes on the hotel beach. I would have hunted further south in the next two weeks , but had to return home because of an emergency. When I talked to the hotel manager about my disappointment in not being able to detect further south, he told me It's a good thing I didn't because there are restrictions on portions of the Outer Banks. I would strongly advise that you check regulations before you detect anywhere south of Nags Head. Maybe someone on this forum will have more info on the laws of that area. One thing for sure, it is a gorgeous seashore, and you will enjoy your trip.

OP
OP
T

turbolwf

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum, and good luck at the beach. I have detected at Nags Head and found 3 silver rings after hunting only 45 minutes on the hotel beach. I would have hunted further south in the next two weeks , but had to return home because of an emergency. When I talked to the hotel manager about my disappointment in not being able to detect further south, he told me It's a good thing I didn't because there are restrictions on portions of the Outer Banks. I would strongly advise that you check regulations before you detect anywhere south of Nags Head. Maybe someone on this forum will have more info on the laws of that area. One thing for sure, it is a gorgeous seashore, and you will enjoy your trip.

Yes thank you. i am not planning on going south of Kitty Hawk. I started yesterday in my own yard here in Virgina and got a found a silver right with sea glass. I also found some coins nothing to great but it sure is fun. I have a bounty hunter lone star and so I started working with the discr button to learn the different tones. I need lots of practice but it was not discouraging when I hit on the ring. I am so excited to continue this is like one of the best things for my to get a hobby that can be rewarding in more ways then one. I am hooked!

OP
OP
T

turbolwf

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not giving up yet!

Well so i got down south Friday night hit my buddy's yard and found some coins nothing to be too proud of but it got me ready for the next day. A big storm blew in Friday night so i got out to about MP3 by John's drive in and walked the beach with my detector. Right of the bat found a Timex watch that did not take it's licking and was so not ticking. That was about it. I got really fustrated it seemed i didn't know where to go what to look for when I started. This is not the type of beach that will see many people during this time of the year and it was cold most of the day. I didn't know if i should walk the shell line that washed up or go closer to the houses. I had my detector marked to DISC and so it would be frustrating when i would hit on something then dig and it would not be there. I did get about 2 more hours under my belt but decided to head home that night and give up on the beach. So I hit my back yard the next day and again hit on some coins, peaces of old metal and then grabbed a sweet old liscense plate from the late 60's early 70's. i am getting better at tuning out junk but I still get nervous to bypass that low tone that could be gold. I have much to learn for sure. liscenseplate.jpg timex.jpg

OP
OP
T

turbolwf

Tenderfoot
Apr 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dodge.jpg
Well so i got down south Friday night hit my buddy's yard and found some coins nothing to be too proud of but it got me ready for the next day. A big storm blew in Friday night so i got out to about MP3 by John's drive in and walked the beach with my detector. Right of the bat found a Timex watch that did not take it's licking and was so not ticking. That was about it. I got really fustrated it seemed i didn't know where to go what to look for when I started. This is not the type of beach that will see many people during this time of the year and it was cold most of the day. I didn't know if i should walk the shell line that washed up or go closer to the houses. I had my detector marked to DISC and so it would be frustrating when i would hit on something then dig and it would not be there. I did get about 2 more hours under my belt but decided to head home that night and give up on the beach. So I hit my back yard the next day and again hit on some coins, peaces of old metal and then grabbed a sweet old liscense plate from the late 60's early 70's. i am getting better at tuning out junk but I still get nervous to bypass that low tone that could be gold. I have much to learn for sure. View attachment 782546 View attachment 782548
Not sure what this round disc is but it says Dodge and do not remove so I wonder if it came off an engine or something like that.

Jan 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this site, and I been wondering how you actually create a forum. But besides that. I am wondering exactly in Kill Devils Hill NC that you can actually do MD, I really am not one for the beach scene and would enjoy more flat land and mountain scenery to do MD. If anyone can supply me with any information of any mountainous region or forest region which allows MD I would be very grateful, and would like to know if there are any places you can do it without imposing on any federal laws or land. I also want to inquire the same for the state of VA Thank you

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
FIJ welcome to the forum! Research your local's history at your library. That should give you a heads up on what's going on in the areas you would like to hunt.
Contact local historians and talk to older people to see what areas were popular in the past and hunt those areas! Sorry can't help with regional laws!
Good Luck and HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions