Beach and water detector for gold chain

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There isn't one.

Idigack

Aug 18, 2012
ACK
Detector(s) used
excal11 10 inch coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's right...if it doesn't have a pendant attached chances are slim..HH Dave

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the Excal. "Small" gold chain on ocean beaches? A pendent, clasp, or it had better be balled up and presenting a larger signature. Lay one stretched out over the wet sand and if you are very lucky and running a very hot and stable sensitivity setting with a small coil you might be able to generate a repeatable response, maybe even at an inch or two under the sand if you are lucky but these will only be slight tics at best. This is on my area beaches.

OP
OP
arizonaames

arizonaames

Dec 13, 2008
Michigan
Detector(s) used
MXT, TDI, Whites Dual Field, Goldmaster VSAT, Fisher CZ 21
I have picked up stretched out small gold chain at 1 to 2 inches with my MXT on east coast beaches. I wonder what a CZ21 or an AT Pro will do?

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The at pro will likely miss it. I've tested mine on SC beaches and small chains either gotta be wadded up or rubbed directly on the coil for a response.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be talking DRY sand if you hit those.... or like was mentioned they had clasps with springs in them. Try it in the wet sand. Anything capable of handling the high conductive salt has a salt setting to stabilize the machine..... down side it knocks out smaller gold. Also detectors see only a link at a time not the whole chain. The CZ wont work any better than a PI or Xcal.... the AT Pro is a single freq machine and its not an effective salt water machine. The MXT was designed from a gold machine. Like Terry said none will EASILY find them..... the reality is if you are in the salt water you are ring hunting... and on occasions you get lucky and find other gold targets.... like teeth and charms.

Dew

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of these small gold chains were found with the Excal 800 in the edges of runnels containing saltwater. At least one of them is missing the clasp. But it is unlikely that you will find them applying traditional techniques. The smaller the coil the better your chances, the swifter the swing speed the better your chances. But if they are stretched out with no clasp or pendant, forget it!

probe1.jpg

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine gold

Yes of course, finding thin gold with metal detectors, its hard. You may find fine gold(thin) with metal detectors, but if it was no depth(between 0 and 10cm), i found all sort of jewerly in beaches(wet sand) and its was near the water(salt water).
The problem is where and when?
These are my finds with metal detectors:

Attachments

• FGold.bmp
    2.3 MB · Views: 255
  • Fine gold.jpg
    Fine gold.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 275
  • R7.JPG
    R7.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 286
  • 230357_4481658351947_1615827559_n.jpg
    230357_4481658351947_1615827559_n.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 333

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The majority of these small gold chains were found with the Excal 800 in the edges of runnels containing saltwater. At least one of them is missing the clasp. But it is unlikely that you will find them applying traditional techniques. The smaller the coil the better your chances, the swifter the swing speed the better your chances. But if they are stretched out with no clasp or pendant, forget it!

View attachment 780663

Why the fast swing? I've always heard low and slow.

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BS..... what ive found about the fast swing is the Xcal when using on the edge sensitivity likes a fast swing.... lower sensitivity for some reason does as good with a slower swing. S1.... do an air test and see what the depth difference is .... its kind of surprising like BS said. Only thing that comes into play with a fast swing is trash.... if you are in a trashy area you are going to get coil shut down over every target which reduces depth during recovery time. That could be why some say they get just as good of depth with the small coil IN the water.... the ability to move it faster.

Dew

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forget using the CZ-21 or AT Pro on thin gold chains without a pendant or clasp. You could have fair luck with a Tiger Shark but not at most saltwater beaches. I have found earring backs with the CZ and I have a picture here somewhere which I'll post if I find it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My area beaches are fairly clean of trash and mineralization is a minimum issue, this is certainly an advantage. There is a reason why quicker swing speeds produce stronger returns and it is all relevant to motion/target deflection. i.e., the stronger the send signal, the stronger the returns. The harder we bounce a basketball the faster/harder it will return to the hand. The faster the speeding bullet the further it will travel when deflected off course. Our machines are motion detectors and they don't care if that motion is up and down or sideways, but they must have it in order to produce returns. Our multiple frequency machines are already hunting deeper then we realize, but because our power source is being shared by more then one source the strength of these individual send signals is reduced. When we speed up the motion of the coil we are actually creating stronger send signals which likewise produce stronger returns. Take a small gold object and lay it in the wet sand and a slow swing speed may not produce a strong enough return, however, increase the swing speed and it just might. It is the same principle as adding after market headphones, the faint returns are there but we just can't hear them. Swifter swing speeds simply increases the strength in these returns.

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have picked up a fine gold chain at about 4" deep, without clasp or pendant, with the Tesoro Tiger Shark and 3" x 18" clean sweep DD coil. It shocked me, because none of my 4 other detectors even saw the chain at any depth. However, the Tiger Shark is not the best tool for in the salt water. It falses too much and adjusting the sensativity to make it work is not a simple task with unknown depth loss to get it stable. On the wet sand you can make it work for you, but not in the water. Papa

Delbird

Feb 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold chains

Yes of course, finding thin gold with metal detectors, its hard. You may find fine gold(thin) with metal detectors, but if it was no depth(between 0 and 10cm), i found all sort of jewerly in beaches(wet sand) and its was near the water(salt water).
The problem is where and when?
These are my finds with metal detectors:

Hi I just wondered which detector you used fir these please?

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
The only detectors that "may" find a gold chain are PI with high power and super tunned low delay.

Garrett ATX is not bad at all
Whites TDI Pro with custom made coil from Mantadetectors
Some Eric fosters creations....
In any case the max depth will be 1 to 3 inches

CTX, CZ, excals etc..... most of the time, even in contact with the you won't have any signal

Last edited:

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Xcal will pick up a LARGER gold chain, one with a charm, or sometimes the clasps (some have SS springs) depending on size. But for the most part the detector sees each link....... so a PI with low Us is about your only shot even they have trouble if you have to adjust the delay. Man this is an old thread lol.

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
In the last 4 yrs, with my Excal II, I have found maybe 15-20 gold, platinum and sterling rings and ONE thin gold chain with a small diamond and gold heart. Depth was about 1-2". In the listings of Finds from some of the longer term TreasureNet members, there seems to be about 20 gold pieces per gold chain or bracelet found, if that. Finding a gold chain or bracelet is rare, regardless of the detector. And, particularly, it is important to note that the lower frequency VLF detectors cannot detect gold no matter the size of the object, even rings. The value of the ATPro is that it runs at 15Khz.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread