Does anybody hunt the beaches of Lake Erie with sucsess?

bigjamesinohio

Greenie
Apr 3, 2013
I was just wondering if anybody on this forum has any luck at any of the beaches or parks along Lake Erie? I live very close to a few state parks with beaches, and I have not had any luck! I don't think it's my md I have a Tesoro Deleon. It is only 11/2 years old I bought it new and have luck mding in parks and tot lots. Just a question from a newbie! Thank you in advance!

Upvote 0

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big James:

The easiest way to answer your question is to dig a hole to the depths you want to test and lower a quarter/dime in a plastic container/bag with a string. Make sure that the string is above ground when you fill in the sand/dirt and compact the soil. Then sweep you detect over theese targets and you will know for sure.

When in doubt, I usually just drop a coin in front of the coil, to see if I get a good tone, which is faster and easier but not as accurate of a test.

Last edited:

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yeah, prior to my move to Florida, I hit Lake Erie (primarily in Pa.) and did pretty good. Most of the good finds were in the winter months working the beach erosion and prior to the parks grooming the sand. Unless you find some erosion, most of the beaches are pretty clean right now due to detectorists working it all winter and lack of fresh drops due to the winter months. I've had some really good days there but for the most part, it was a 2hour drive one way for a couple of bucks in clad. Here are a few posts I made of my best days on Erie.....winter 2011 I believe.

If your detector is working in the parks, it will work on the beach too.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...ound-couple-old-coins-update-wheat-penny.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/beach-shallow-water/280633-best-day-old-coins-3-firsts.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/b...ck-freshwater-beach-cut-more-wheats-gold.html

Cliff

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it was 1984, I was living East of Cleveland then, I remember one of the treasure hunting magazines featured a story about a Cleveland fellow who found 300 gold rings on the beach in one year.

Maybe he didn't get them all! Probably retired now, so you won't have him to compete with :)

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man, I've been detecting the Cleveland beaches and all I find is aluminum nuggets and shotgun shell tops. Not even clad to be found.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe that guy did get all the rings! And, maybe he's still hunting there!

But there is always something left behind!

Except in the parks I've hit lately :( The pull tabs are still there though.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread