Frankenshaft.. Minelab/Tesoro long straight shaft for Excal II

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have all my detectors (exception the Gold Bug Pro) on straight shafts, all the same length and hip mount all of the controls. Up until recently, I've had no problems with detecting that way but I now have elbow problems, I believe from the weight of the coil being the only weight on the shaft. It isn't a problem with the Sand Shark and its light weight 8"coil but the GT, CZ21 and the Excal and the 10-11 inch coils on the shafts are a problem. I was a firm believer that the less weight on the shaft the better and wondered how most everyone likes the Excal controls behind the elbow. It just didn't make much sense to me to have all that weight on the shaft but I had to try something to alleviate this elbow problem. So I spent about two hours today creating my Frankenshaft....I used a spare middle shaft from the Sand Shark to put in the end of my straight shaft to hold the controls. It may not be the prettiest straight shaft on the beach but it does have a good balance to it.... if it works like I feel it will, I may have solved my problems.
I'd really like to thank my new good friend Harold (from Central Florida) who has been passing on his years of wisdom, tricks and tips to me, as Lorraine had said in a post, you meet the nicest people from this Forum, and Harold is another one of those people! I probably would have continued to hunt in pain until his suggestion to give this type of shaft a try.
Cliff

Attachments

• 2013-05-06 09.07.35.jpg
    2013-05-06 09.07.35.jpg
    765.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 2013-05-06 09.35.17.jpg
    2013-05-06 09.35.17.jpg
    988.3 KB · Views: 774
Upvote 0
Jun 28, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 10", Excalibur Sword 8", Sovereign XS2a Pro, Equinox 800, Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
I think you'll like that setup. You may have to play around with the grip to arm-cuff distance. My buddy Mark was the first one to make that style shaft. He sold them for a few years before he stopped making them. Some of the other shaft sellers copied his design. Maybe he should have patented it.

Atlas

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice work Cliff. I've been thinking of doing this for my Excal also. I first saw this style of shaft in a picture in one of Gary D's books.

I didn't realize someone made these for sale as John said above. Does anyone still make them?

HH

OP
OP
cdv1

cdv1

Jun 29, 2011
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Oh yeah, Plugger, Anderson and probably others too and eventually I may buy one made out of carbon fiber to even reduce weight more but until I find out what works best for me, a little time and what I had on hand will work for now.

Cliff

Atlas

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Cliff.

I've repurposed the aluminum shafts from walking canes for my current straight shaft on my Excal. However, it is not the long shaft version the controls sit right under the forearm. Old walking cane at the thrift store cost me $5 plus my labor.

HH

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks pretty good. If I could make one suggestion:
If you are right handed I would switch the control box and the battery box. (flip them)
That way the knobs are on the outside of your arm and you don't mistakenly bump them and unknowingly change the settings while you are swinging the detector.
If you are left handed.......never mind. ;)

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I like it, some fine looking work.....Should serve you well......Joe

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Nice setup. Love the strait shaft. Use it on most of my machines. Find what works for you.

Harold in Fla.

Jul 18, 2007
N.C
Detector(s) used
I use the excel 1000 have been since they came out.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad i could help you out Cliff, you keep going till you find the thing that will help that arm, and the pleasure was mine. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread