Floating Sifting Box to go with your scoop

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Depending, of course, you aren't battling surf and waves then a floating sifting box is essential for water detecting. I'll usually use mine in the Gulf or in lakes. I get a signal, scoop it and dump it in the box and go on to the next target. If it gets a little overloaded with sand or mud and starts to list then a couple of shakes does the trick and back to detecting. After about 45 minutes, I'll stop and take a water break and a clean up. I boxed in one corner to toss the pull tabs and bottle caps into while the coins and hopefully jewelry goes into my pouch. They are easy enough to make with 4 - one inch x 4" boards 24 inches long. Spray the boards with Johnson Water Seal so they'll last longer. Use stainless steel wood screw to prevent corrosion. You can use either 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth. 1/4" mesh will recover earrings and chains but it'll load up faster with sand and mud and will require more work keeping it from sinking. I use 1/2" mesh and haven't lost a ring yet. If you suspect a small item then a small mesh collander can sift it out quickly. I use 1" wide trim to secure the hardware cloth to the frame with stainless steel or brass wood screws. I use a Noodle that children play with that can be easily cut and tied along the sides for floatation. Another length of rope is attached to box that attaches to your belt. You can expect a floating sifting box to last over 10 years of constant use.
:laughing7:

Attachments

• Sifting box.jpg
    Sifting box.jpg
    819.4 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
This is the one I made. I call it the Carolina Sifter Sand Shifter Front.jpg Sand Shifter Back .jpeg It's just a Coke Crate

OP
OP
FLauthor

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very good. Don't have to worry about wood getting rotten like mine.:icon_thumleft:

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I followed this video to make mine.

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
If you need one fast, I've seen people use floating bait bags that can be purchased at sporting goods stores. It has a styrofoam flotation ring and a 2' deep net attatched. It seems to work fairly well in the local lakes.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread