lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
OOPS!! Be careful out there.

At first glance before reading your post, I thought it was a pic of a tarnished silver ring :icon_scratch:.....haven't had my morning coffee yet8-)

Lorraine

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoah! Don't think that is a real pineapple. Careful... I dug a few WW2 mortars when they first dredged Dania Beach, Florida in the mid-to-late 70's--where the State park now exists. Troops practiced their during WW2, firing mortars from the beach to a target barge being towed parallel to the beach. I had to take them to the Navy Ordinance which was located near the Ft. Lauderdale airport, in the area of the old Ft. Lauderdale Naval Air Station. The same place where former President Reagan flew planes during WW2 and where the Torpedo Bombers flew out of and never returned, sparking interest in the Bermuda Triangle Mystery--the latter being a bunch of mumbo-jumbo created by a writer who had one too many.

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Southern Digger: Wouldn't it of been better if the EOD boys made a beach call?

Last edited:

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out doing a little scouting today and eyeballed a odd rock. I threw it against a larger rock to reveal a old WWII hand grenade!

Decisions Decisions: What to do, What to do barks the puppy chasing his tail?

Call the experts who specialize in WWII artifacts or the disposal boys to determine what is best to do.
I would call both.

Personally, I would not touch that with the 54" pole on my stand up water scoop. In fact, I would not touch it.
A land mine was found on the beach that I hunt on a few years ago, and detonated on the spot.
I found out about it after hearing the Kaboom which rattled house windows two blocks away.
As the beach had been evacuated earlier the only fresh drops were from pets in the neighborhood.

Frantic radio transmission recieved from Navy patrol bomber somewhere in the Pacific just after start of WWll
" Sighted sub or whale"
" Sank stern or tail"

Last edited:
OP
OP
onthespot

onthespot

Feb 6, 2012
Asia
Detector(s) used
Excal ll, Sov GT, CZ-21 & Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I should of said coolest find. After looking at google images, it looks like the top have is broke off. Once I figure out if it is live or not, I would like to keep it.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, on the spot. I would have called the experts in for a look before I touched the grenade or the mortar rounds that southern digger found.

Les West Central Fl

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Aquasound, Excal 2, Excal (NY), Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with fongu, get an experts advise, betterr than losing a hand.

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you think it's live then IT is live. Don't go screwing around with a suspected UXO (unexploded ordinance). Especially the older stuff. It if it is in fact an MK2, produced up until the 60s it would be very very unstable. Even if the pin and spoon are in place the spring for the firing mechanism inside may have deteriorated which creates it's instability!

TNT-K9

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here think about this Chug

UXB

mr_larry

Jun 22, 2010
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoah! Don't think that is a real pineapple. Careful... I dug a few WW2 mortars when they first dredged Dania Beach, Florida in the mid-to-late 70's--where the State park now exists. Troops practiced their during WW2, firing mortars from the beach to a target barge being towed parallel to the beach. I had to take them to the Navy Ordinance which was located near the Ft. Lauderdale airport, in the area of the old Ft. Lauderdale Naval Air Station. The same place where former President Reagan flew planes during WW2 and where the Torpedo Bombers flew out of and never returned, sparking interest in the Bermuda Triangle Mystery--the latter being a bunch of mumbo-jumbo created by a writer who had one too many.

I think you mean George HW Bush. He was a navy pilot in WW2.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Southern Digger: Wouldn't it of been better if the EOD boys made a beach call?

There were several other mortars with fins broken off. All were neutralized by saltwater exposure. These were banging through a dredge pipe for quite a few hundred yards and dumped on to the beach then spread around with dozers. If they were to explode, it would have happened then. The boys at the Naval Ordinance was not concerned about them being a danger but asked me to bring them over for disposal. They were on the floor of my car behind the driver's seat for nearly a week. I tried to talk them into unloading one of the complete mortars so I could keep it as a local WW2 display example, they refused. There are probably many more remaining, buried deep in the replenished beach.

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread