do you pick up everything on the beach?

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a man the the other day who had an excalibur detector. He has been at this a long time. He said he picks up everything because you can never know for sure. He said once it sounded like a bottle cap and he picked it up any way and it was a ring. I was going to get an excalibur to avoid bottle caps but this man was an old timer at this so I'm going to keep my whites beach hunter for now that I recently got and continue to pick up everything. Any comments?

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I have an excal and I also pick up all of the caps and everything I dig. Gold rings can sometimes give a broken signal that can be confused for a bottle cap. Dig them!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Cherry picking" is always a risk. I've had gold rings tone like pennies, dimes, quarters, nickels, etc., the size/shape/mixture of alloys can all play into things. On more then one occasion I've found thin/flat gold crosses that toned just like thin pieces of foil, one of those crosses had 16 small diamonds in it. Gold chains can "burp" and/or "sputter" and I once plucked a nice 14K band and a rusty nail in my scoop after deciding to dig one of those "bottle cap" wobblers. And these are just the ones I can recall right off the top of my head.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I dig everything....have been surprised many times upon finding gold when I thought the target sounded like a nickel, aluminum foil, or a quarter.

Lorraine

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as others have said, I dig everthing that doesnt null from multiple directions..... I have found gold that sounded like pennies and tin foil...... I would rather dig 10,000 pulltabs than walk away from a $10,000 ring that sounded like a a pulltab or piece of tin foil.....

OP
OP
P

Pauln

May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I agree! I'm not letting anything pass me by. I'm loving the beach hunter ID 300.

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up everything. Somethings actually turn out to be surprising. If it is trash, it goes in the trash right at the beach or first trashcan. I feel as if I am doing a small part in cleaning up and safety for people with the fishing hooks I find.

DewGuru

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Gulf Coast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old addage rings true ... Always has, always will ... He who digs the most, finds the most. Been that way since the beginning of detecting, and it will continue to be.

Happy Hunting!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I make a point of picking up everything off the beach.

One of the reasons is that when I get back there the next day I don't want to re-find that bit of trash again.

Another reason I enjoy picking up the bottle caps ..I notice a lot of the new drops come in sixes..like a six pack of beer maybe? I sweep the area clean and do a couple of spirals around the cleaned area and most times come up with a small reward.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

One of the reasons is that when I get back there the next day I don't want to re-find that bit of trash again.

Another reason I enjoy picking up the bottle caps ..I notice a lot of the new drops come in sixes..like a six pack of beer maybe? I sweep the area clean and do a couple of spirals around the cleaned area and most times come up with a small reward.

Joe is right of course. It is a waste of money to buy a detector for the screen and use that to ID the target to decide if you should dig it.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do try and dig everything except nulls that wont give a good signal even after multiple sweeps, I even wonder how many of those may have been good/deep fringe targets. the trick is to do this for an entire hunt!! after a few hours I admit I get a little lazy and start passing on some targets, this is usually a good sign for me to call it a day and go home.

many prefer to cherry pick and take their chances on missing a high kt or odd shaped piece thinking they will beat the competition to the obvious good targets. I guess there is a time and place for speed hunting/cherry picking and slow methodical dig it all approaches.
chuck.

nightzombie

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2013
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick up everything. Somethings actually turn out to be surprising. If it is trash, it goes in the trash right at the beach or first trashcan. I feel as if I am doing a small part in cleaning up and safety for people with the fishing hooks I find.

I agree !!! I am new at this and I have found a lot of trash ( nails, bottle caps etc ... ) I have two toddlers and see lots of people walking the beach with no shoes. Very scary on some things I find and I immediately throw the trash away. Trying to help the world stay beautiful !!!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree Joe, especially about the bottle caps, as there are times that they are the only target found on a long hard day’s hunt. With discrimination it is fairly easy to identify bottle caps, though the exact sound /tone varies by alloy and depth for fresh drops. Once you retrieve the first bottle cap you know who made it and the expected depth which will most likely correlate with the remaining five bottle caps in the area. What I enjoy most is watching the expression of astonishment on a lookie loo’s face when I tell them I hear a _ _ _ _ _ bottle cap at a depth of _ _ _ _ _ then give it as soon as it is dug up so that I can continue hunting and there is one less piece of trash to haul away.

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig it all.After four scoops I leave it for the younger guys . I take everything home and document it incase someday when we have to defend our right to MD I have proof to show the good job we do of cleaning our beaches .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread