To dig or not to dig?

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a quick question. I live on the Treasure Coast and I'm new to md'ing. I was out on a local beach today during low tide and got a screaming hit. Based on the tone, it should've been pretty close to the surface....unless it was BIG. I panned out and roughly measured the tone from one end to another and came up with about 16ft long and 2 ft wide. I'm assuming i can't be the first person to find this. I dug about a foot and nothing..... I thought maybe it was just a major false so I moved on. On my way back I went to the area again and it was hitting the same as before. I'm assuming it can't be a storm drain since it ends way before the dune line. Any ideas on what it could be or if I should go back with a shovel and see if I can get to it? Something is def there! I hit the sand with my scoop and could feel the area around me move as if there was a hole under my feet. Just not sure if its worth the effort???

Upvote 0

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe one of the divers for Mel Fisher's group uncovered a heavy gold chain that was something like 11 ft. (Can't help you out, but I'm pretty darn good at planting a thought.) :laughing7:

PS: Probably just an old post or something. :dontknow:

OP
OP
VERODIGDUG

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy is a Lt. n the Indian River Fire Dept. he told me they're always finding bombs and ordinance on our beaches due to WWII training. Last one they detonated was 600 lbs and still live! Makes me a little gun shy to be shovel digging around something that big

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a quick question. I live on the Treasure Coast and I'm new to md'ing. I was out on a local beach today during low tide and got a screaming hit. Based on the tone, it should've been pretty close to the surface....unless it was BIG. I panned out and roughly measured the tone from one end to another and came up with about 16ft long and 2 ft wide. I'm assuming i can't be the first person to find this. I dug about a foot and nothing..... I thought maybe it was just a major false so I moved on. On my way back I went to the area again and it was hitting the same as before. I'm assuming it can't be a storm drain since it ends way before the dune line. Any ideas on what it could be or if I should go back with a shovel and see if I can get to it? Something is def there! I hit the sand with my scoop and could feel the area around me move as if there was a hole under my feet. Just not sure if its worth the effort???

Verodigdug;
Don’t dig ; you have already defeated yourself before even trying.
While you may not be the first person to detect this (big deal) , if valuable – you would be the first person to retrieve it (a very big deal). It will definitely take more effort than sitting in a reclining chair and changing channels or posting on a forum hoping that someone will do all the thinking for you.
Before even starting, you need to research if there is an active lease to the state that prevents you from going into the water or anything that could result in your equipment being taken away .
Next, I would search the newspapers to determine if any bombs or WWII ordinance was found on this beach. Or if any structures were constructed on/near the beach.
If not then you need to determine the best and safest way to determine what it might be. If you are hunting with a single frequency VLF detector, you simply could of discovered an underground stream or an area of the beach with high mineralization/salt which you are detecting.
It also could be that someone has heavily mined this area with closely spaced zinc pennies which would look continuous to your detector.
You might of even found a highly concentrated coin/ target line which will take days to work.
I would carefully try to determine if the object is solid and how deep it is. Initially with coil control and lifting the coil using a multifrequency VLF detector suitable for shallow water.
Next I would probably very carefully probe with a pointed wooden dowel, probably starting at the middle working toward the ends to determine if the object is solid and how deep it is, the assumpting being that it is not a round sea mine with multiple contact fuses like a porcupine.
As long a you don’t kill your self by doing something foolish, this would be a very exciting adventure even if you didn’t find anything of value. Something that you will remember for the rest of your life.
On the other hand, if you do nothing and someone finds valuable treasure, your memories will be those of regret.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe one of the divers for Mel Fisher's group uncovered a heavy gold chain that was something like 11 ft. (Can't help you out, but I'm pretty darn good at planting a thought.) :laughing7:

PS: Probably just an old post or something. :dontknow:

Yes, that's true, I've seen that chain up close myself! It was 10-15 feet under the sand when found.

OP
OP
VERODIGDUG

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies! I'm using a Sand Shark, which I'm not even all that familiar with yet. I'm heading back today....with a shovel!
The area in question is between the tide line and the dune so no state reg or lease will be broken. I sent an email to a local treasure hunting blogger in my area and without giving up the location, he told me exactly where I'd been!
As I thought, I'm not the first one to get this hit. Apparently it's a pretty well known location among Treasure Coast md'ers. He told me that he has heard of people trying to dig it up, but no one ever gets to it. Their best guess is a metal fence post. We shall see

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you try and give up you will have a memory for the rest of your life. Unless your as old as I am an then you'd forget it as soon as you get back to the car. Just let it go.......... NRA2.JPG

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much beach nourishment the state has done there it can easily be 10+ feet deep.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

FindSomeGold

Jan 23, 2012
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first time I came across that, an old timer told me it was a storage tank of some kind and not to waste any effort on it.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I know exactly what beach "1715" and target your talking about.
Its been there for years.. most I've talked to belive it to be a fence post.
But you never know.
Your length and width is most likely a bit larger than the actual object...especially if its been decomposing into the surrounding sand.
My friend talked about that just today.. also I think you will find this site very useful. H.H.
www.treasurebeachesreport.blogspot.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
VERODIGDUG

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's it! Lol

He's talking about it cause I emailed him last night. Went to another spot and found what appears to be a spike and some tumbled silver!
Pics to follow

OP
OP
VERODIGDUG

VERODIGDUG

May 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's some pics. The metal isn't magnetic and it almost feels like it leaves a softness on your fingers after rubbing it. Not sure what it is??
The nail is a square head and almost in 2 pieces

Attachments

• image-274385618.jpg
    image-274385618.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image-3232984762.jpg
    image-3232984762.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 78

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Looks like an old iron spike of some kind.. Not much left of that one. I'm guessing you found it low on the beach.. Near the water's edge low tide"ish" area.
The other pieces look like melted aluminum at first glance.
I don't see the patina and tarnish/corrosion you expect from old silver in a saltwater environment.
If you want to be sure put a drop of muriatic acid on one of them.. if it has a reaction its not silver.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you've found a larger diameter piece of steel or perhaps stainless steel pipe! Sharks love iron you know? Don't think I would dig and pry on it too hard.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread