Excalibur. All metal or discriminate mode

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an older 99-01 model with the 8" coil and I see little to no difference in depth and sensitivity between disc & PP. My hunting partner has a new 2012 model with the 8" coil and there is an obvious difference between disc and PP. Do the headphone mod, such as adding the Skullies, and it may be possible that the difference will change somewhat depending on the speakers and settings used. Sweep speed can also effect these differences, as with my machine a faster sweep speed in disc offers me more depth and sensitivity, while a slower sweep speed is more desirable in PP. From my personal experience not all Excals perform the same even at the same settings so best to learn each machine intimately and then treat each machine as an individual tool of the trade.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scoop is correct, just like not all cars of the same model perform the same, not all detectors the same model perform the same.

I have 2 excals with large coils, both with the pinpoint mod on the handle so i can switch between all metal and desc with out reaching behind my arm to switch between all metal and desc, I can just hit the switch to change the mode with out moving my hand from the coil.... I like the mods and for me pinpoint is deeper. I also have the older versions. The Excal II is deeper out of the box than the ones it replaced, but not by much, maybe 2 inches, since I put a SEF 12"x15" butterfly coil on one and the 15" WOT on the other both of mine go deeper than the 8 or 10 inch... I have pulled plenty of targets 15-16 inches deep with the,,,

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I will be down next Thursday (13) and Friday (14), near the inlet? PM me...(now it is a maybe be there, will keep you informed MBrat)

OC, PP mode is by far deeper, and having the remote with skullies, which are made just for this mode of hunting, you can really do some cherry picken and deep target shooting. I have a few extra excals setup this way if you want to try one....I will also be testing some new Gray Ghost Amphibians on the Excalibur, now these are made just for the Discriminate hunter. They are 48% louder then the old original GGUW's, which many complained about. And have excellent tones and volume adjustment. Something both the Skullies and the New Amphibians have, A big advantage being able to adjust to the conditions.

OBN0099.jpg
OBN0054 (2).jpg

Of resent I have also add a new tool to the Excalibur...A smoother adjustment on the threshold on/off of the Excalibur, these are 50 Ohm, and allow a smooth and lower threshold on the Excalibur then before, still testing but being able to adjust the threshold lower, adjust the target volume to full, and with the Skullies being able to turn the volume down on the HP, equals deep targets.

OBN0042.jpg

Last edited:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
From a few years ago, had Xcals air test. And it just gives you an idea the difference one machine to the next, and what a totally silient room can give you. results and the targets used. All the same setting were used on each machine.

DSC_9489[1].jpg DSC_9207[1].jpg

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe mentioned a smoother threshold, something else we've noticed from machine to machine. Some seem to run a bit smoother then others. The Excal I had before the one I own now wasn't as stable, the threshold just wasn't as consistently smooth in PP, really sensitive to water and wave action, always wavering a lot. The machine I have now is very smooth in the water, even when I put a good 12 x 15 on it. The machine I had before would run the larger coils ok in the water but only after adjusting the sensitivity way down. Sounds crazy, I know, but they just don't all perform quite the same.

PP or Disc? Depends on my mood and the conditions. For me, PP = intense hunting, really have to pay attention to every little change up, be in the right frame of mind for it. If I'm water hunting and there's a lot of current and wave action or the bottom is really uneven just too many distractions/disruptions since I'm going to be unstable on foot myself, so I hunt in disc mode. Same if I just want to cover as much beach as possible or when I'm not in that slower mood. But when the conditions and my mood are right I'll PP hunt quite a bit. I will say this, since adding the remote PP I do use PP a lot more often then I use to, regardless what mood I'm in as it has become a very convenient tool to access.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MBbeachrat

Apr 1, 2011
Melbourne Beach and Bethany Beach-- Snow Bird
Detector(s) used
CZ 21, Whites DF PI, Excalibur II, CTX 3030
Thanks guys for all the usual great help. I had two new Excals that had to go back right out of the box. Then I got lucky and got a used Excal II that was made in Ireland. It has really become my go to machine now. I think I may have to see if OBN will make it even better. I guess it is nice to put on larger coils also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread