Excal Threshold Changes

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excal Threshold "Pitch" Changes:

There’s a lot more going on with the Excal then many hunters realize, the threshold pitch changes being one area that I think goes largely ignored by both Disc and PP hunters. Most of us are listening for threshold breaks, rises, wavering, etc., but few of us really focus on those unexplained pitch changes that often seem to occur at random with no other noticeable indication of a possible target. However, something caused that change in pitch and sometimes these pitch changes are worth investigating.

The threshold is the most sensitive searching process within the entire machine, which is why so many hunters prefer to hunt in PP mode. But disc hunters need to pay attention to this threshold as well because these unexplained changes in threshold pitch can often provide clue of targets that are the very edge of the machine’s process capabilities. Extremely deep targets can cause these changes, as can small/fine chains, etc. Sure, mineral deposits can also cause them as well. So how can you tell the difference?

I hunt in disc mode a lot and I can tell you first hand that these threshold changes can represent good targets from time to time. The first thing I do whenever I encounter one of these changes is determine if the change went higher or lower. Most often these changes will be lower, to the point of sounding very low and grainy. However, other times the threshold will become a bit lower but it will remain smooth and pleasant sounding, more of a mid-tone, if you will. When this happens you really need to investigate the source of this change.

Whenever I encounter one of these desired threshold changes the first thing I do is switch to PP mode and I’ll run my scoop past the coil to reset the threshold to a higher pitch. Once this is done I’ll sweep the coil over the suspected area until I get the threshold change again and I’ll keep repeating this process until I’ve isolated the “X” on the surface. If I’m really lucky I may even get a threshold break but not always. In either case I’ll start removing some sand until I can start getting a solid response, something that is much easier to do with the small coil since it can be easily stuck in the hole for a much closer look. A lot of times the source will just up and disappear, a sure sign that it was just a tiny piece of surface clutter or a pocket of mineralization, but a lot of times you’ll start to encounter a consistent response or an obvious tone that will result in the recovering of a target. Weather you’re in Disc mode or PP mode don’t ignore those threshold pitch changes because they just might lead you to something shiny and pleasant.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The vast majority of the gold we find are rather easy finds for just about any quality beach detector, just depends on who gets their coil it over if first. Small chains, thin/light rings, deep targets that are just on the edge of a machine's detection capabilities, and masked targets, these are the rare but occasional finds that a lot of hunters simply miss. But most of the time it just comes down to who puts their coil over the item first. Don't expect your gold finds to soar to new heights but this info just might add an occasional bright spot to your hunting day every now and then. :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best day was a 4th of July, found 5, including 2 of which were diamond ladies rings. There were at least a dozen other hunters on the beach that day that I could see........

Was a nice drive home...:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a good one for you, bet it happens and most never give it a second thought, especially Disc hunters, a sudden change in threshold pitch for no apparent reason. Swing the coil back over the area and nothing, everything stays the same, not so much as a burp or tic. Next time, try this: First, move your coil away from the immediate area and use your scoop to reset the threshold back to it's usually operating pitch, or you can simply turn the machine off and then back on again to reset the threshold, (switching from Disc to PP will also often accomplish this). Once this is done now go look for the source of the pitch change again and when/if you get it take notice of that general spot - and if you have to - keep resetting the threshold until you've narrowed the spot down to the size of say, a pie plate. Next, take several inches of sand off the top so you can get the coil closer, allowing yourself enough room to swing the coil a bit in the depression you've created. If you still get nothing but the pitch change take more sand out of the area, and so on. I just went through this process tonight and ended up recovering a deep silver dime that finally started to tone after I had removed about 4 - 5 inches of sand from the top. This same thing will happen in PP as well. The other thing that will happen, as you get the closer to the target the threshold will often settle into a different pitch once you start getting a tone. This dime started out as a grainy low threshold but ended up returning smooth as silk once I started getting a tone. But I've also seen this work the other way as well, with a nice hard null and a chunk of iron as the only reward. :laughing7: Just one of those little tricks/tactics worth having in the bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread