AT Pro and surf line/wet sand

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure this question has been asked many times. Anywho. How well does the AT Pro work at the beach on wet sand and in the surf line? Does anyone here own and regularly hunt using an AT pro in these conditions. Thank you for any assistance and advice you could render. I am on the fence about buying a newer detector and am considering the AT as one of the options. My old inherited Sea Hunter XL 500 is just that. OLD.

Upvote 0

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ATP is ok in the wet sand and surf, but i'd go with a Tesoro pi machine or another good saltwater machine if this is your primary hunting environment. The ATP is very chattery even with a good ground balance. It does lose depth as you can't raise the sens too high or it gets very unstable.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my AT Pro is too unstable for the beach - I chose a PI for my surf hunting (seahunter 2) and couldn't be happier.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the AT Pro's single output freq it will suffer on most saltwater wet sand unless you greatly reduce the sens. But beaches are different as to the amount of salt concentrations and black sand where some guys will swear the AT Pro works well in the wet sand, other guys can't keep it stable holding the coil in the air.

OP
OP
D

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you I appreciate all of your honest input. I was hoping for a reasonably priced all purpose machine. My old sea hunter still works good but is heavy when in the woods or out shooting coins, relics.
Sandman: lots of black sand along the CT, RI, MA coastlines keeps MD interesting

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you I appreciate all of your honest input. I was hoping for a reasonably priced all purpose machine. My old sea hunter still works good but is heavy when in the woods or out shooting coins, relics.
Sandman: lots of black sand along the CT, RI, MA coastlines keeps MD interesting

if I use my SH on land, I clip the detachable battery to my belt - much easier.
not sure if the previous models do this?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have black sand I don't think the AT would be a good choice...mine works good down here in Florida but our beaches are very mild...I hear people have trouble with the AT at some of the northern beaches.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have black sand I don't think the AT would be a good choice...mine works good down here in Florida but our beaches are very mild...I hear people have trouble with the AT at some of the northern beaches.
This is correct! Like all metal detectors each hand a place and time.

OP
OP
D

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BVI this is around 1979 vintage. The 2 NiCad 9V are inside the case. I replaced them once myself and sent the machine to Garrett about 10 years ago when I had them go through the entire unit. The NiCads are starting to get punky again so I was looking for a machine to do it all when i send it back one last time.

hope you find what you are looking for

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I use the AT on the beach and wet sand. It will false a little on the wet but adjusting the gnd bal takes care of it. On the dry sand has been excellent for me. I can work Pro mode with no discrimination with no problems. In the water I use my PI as it is lighter and I know every little sound it makes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given all of the responses I plan to use my XL500 at the beach mostly, and to purchase an AT for the remainder of my searching. I will wait until winter to ship the XL in for it's decade reconditioning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions