Dealing with those dredded deep summer snads.....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....it's really pretty simple, either count on getting very lucky or avoid this deep, fluffy summer sand all together. Lately I've been opting to choose the second path over here on my area of the East Coast, which I will say requires a bit of traveling and a lot scouting. "Firm sand" is very hard to find but it is out there - if only in small sections of beach at a time. Gold, silver, platinum, it's all very dense and sinks like a rock in quicksand once the summer sands become fluffy, hence these areas hold little promise, especially in areas where the water and sand is constantly getting churned, an action that only serves to speed up the sinking process. In these areas it becomes common to dig extremely light items like pull tabs and junk sunglasses at maximum depths, even pennies will become extremely scarce, which is nearly unthinkable. So once these deep summer sands invade the beaches it's all about locating firm sand, or firm pockets of sand within all the fluff. Firm sand helps to slow the sink rate quite a bit giving you better odds of getting your coil over something good before it gets sucked away into the sandy abyss. Finds will still be few and far between but at least you'll stand a much better chance of making some descent recoveries. :thumbsup: (A little 14k with ice, silver, and a small 10k earring with what appears to be a tiny pearl.)
ss2.jpg

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Enjoyable post, bigscoop...and very nice finds!

Lorraine

Sand Gnat

Jul 25, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett A/T Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Stealth Classic
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice bigscoop! Good hunt!

baywalker

Bronze Member
Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always like that you give advice along with your finds.

CSMPEREZ

Sep 9, 2012
St. Pete, FL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 and II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Big.. Heading to the east coast on the 11th of July!

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info Big.. Heading to the east coast on the 11th of July!

Can't speak for the southern region, but if you're going to be along the northern half expect to encounter heaps and heaps of sand.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always like that you give advice along with your finds.

If I could swing it, I'd love to have a little place on the coast with 3 - 4 accommodations for beach hunters, have an on-site library with historical resources, etc., have the place all decked out with a good treasure hunting atmosphere. I enjoy the hobby and sharing the experience that much. :icon_thumleft:

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in Destin 2 weeks ago and I did a lot of walking trying to find solid sand. Nice finds!!

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I could swing it, I'd love to have a little place on the coast with 3 - 4 accommodations for beach hunters, have an on-site library with historical resources, etc., have the place all decked out with a good treasure hunting atmosphere. I enjoy the hobby and sharing the experience that much. :icon_thumleft:

Be careful what you wish for!
You might get it and as a result have little time for metal detecting,
Instead of sharing, you may find that you have opened Pandora's Box.
Posting on T Net and other forums will be far more difficult, as what you write may come across as an advertisement.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful what you wish for!
You might get it and as a result have little time for metal detecting,
Instead of sharing, you may find that you have opened Pandora's Box.
Posting on T Net and other forums will be far more difficult, as what you write may come across as an advertisement.

Some see the sun, some see the darkness. :laughing7: Life is good.....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for a quick hunt tonight....had to take what was close which was....."the fluff". Got these three junkers, all very light but they were still fairly deep. The good news - there's no doubt the good stuff is there. The bad news - it's just too darn deep to get at under all that fluff. :BangHead:

fluff.jpg

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some see the sun, some see the darkness. :laughing7: Life is good.....:thumbsup:
, and some see not at all!
If any body can do it " Your the guy" (Monk)
Follow your Bliss, that the best one can do.
Faith remains the Hunter!
Happy Hunting and Best of Luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread